The New Raith Rovers Thread

A P&B poster used the analogy before of McKinnon being the Rovers ex boyfriend and the club acting like an angst ridden teenaged girl over him - which I found quite apt and funny! As fans, we know we've probably been like that, at times, but it's not the first example of Eric doing it too.

Not long after Locke was appointed, I remember Eric doing an interview hinting how much easier he was to work with, far more willing to get involved with community activities etc - trying to subtly make out everything hadn't been rosy, with McKinnon, behind the scenes... Here we are again, Gary made the place so much more professional, brought in all these new ideas we didn't have before (even though it turns out they were neither a. new and b. we may well have had them before!). Of course Eric wanted to big up Gary Locke, as the best thing ever, while Ray McKinnon moved on to Dundee United.... It's just a bit embarrassing to then be interviewed singing Ray's praises in a BBC Alba homage, while we were floundering against them during Locke's demise.

Appreciate that it's easy to criticise individuals from afar but even away from all the Locke stuff, I would seriously question the performance of our CEO. To me a Chief Executive has to be a good communicator, a motivator of people, someone who can instill confidence and ultimately inspire an organisation. Someone who can lead from the front. 

I have no doubt that Eric is Rovers through and through and has good organisational qualities and knows the SFA committee system, but is he really cut out to be chief executive of a football club?  If we are being honest he possesses none of the qualities above. You just need to look at his slightly stumbling, awkward interview about McKinnon on Alba on Saturday. Pretty much every other contributor spoke more effectively than him, including Kyle Benedictus. Appreciate it's a pointless discussion as we don't have the cash to pay a proper CEO, but long term I'd like to see someone with drive and charisma in the post to create a bit more energy around the club. 

Would take Young, better than the usual candidates like Calderwood, Mixu and the rest of the dross of Scottish fitba. 

No sure about needing experience in the league, Nicholl, Calderon, McGylnn and MacKinnon never had any at this level or higher and they all had success at club in one way or another. 

Sorry if something has been said earlier, don't have the time or certainly the energy to read most of the crap on here, especially when it comes to other fans going round in circles talking of wee teams and crowds. 

A favourite of mine would be Gary Bollan. Won the second and first divisions with Livingston and was doing well enough in the Championship when given the bullet for 'not playing enough youngsters'. Running away with the second division again with Forfar and not even quoted on McBookie.

Are you missing Forfar relegation last season [emoji53]

2 hours ago, Wee Sandy said:

Absolutely correct, they've won nothing worthwhile for for over 50 years.years.

I would suggest that winning the championship felt pretty worthwhile a few years back. 

8 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

Remind me when that was,again.

Please don't respond about them being FUDDs during that time. 

I don't remember the exact date it became the championship either so just leave out the pedantic reply if it was division one still at the time. 

Edited by Dazzle

As for the manager I would like Young, as has been said seems to have done a good job at Albion Rovers and would be nice to get someone who is on the up coming in. Just please not someone like Mixu. 

Please don't respond about them being FUDDs during that time. 

I don't remember the exact date it became the championship either so just leave out the pedantic reply if it was division one still at the time. 

Please do, it's hilarious as aids.

Just now, Raithie said:

Albion Rovers are 3 points away from the relegation playoffs...

With 2 games in hand on the teams below. They are 4 points off the promotion play offs with a game in hand. 

I'd also say just not being the relegation zone should be viewed as a success at Albion Rovers.

I think Young has had a very promising managerial career so far and he deserves a step up to a full-time team at some point. If someone does give him a chance and it doesn't work out, they certainly couldn't be blamed for giving him a shot in the first place.

Is he the man for us right now though? He's unlikely surely to leave Albion for a four month contract, so let's play out a nightmare scenario where we're still paying Gary Locke, we pay Albion Rovers compensation but Young takes us down. He'd be exceptionally unpopular, so how many people would go to buy a season ticket with the same manager who took us down in charge? Whereas if we appointed an unattached 'older head' for a few months and they took us down, a new and young manager just like Young might persuade enough of the support to back the club. 

Of course the alternative is he does well, we finish fifth or sixth and season tickets fly out the door. Just playing out potential scenarios here - something the board should be doing to death in the coming days.