The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

Not much less on player budget if any at all.

With a full time club comes full time costs such as training facilities, physics coaches etc. 

Not be much in it per player.

Aitken has done away with 20's to make up for fact he'd spent too much on wages. Raith still have 20's so money has to be spread thinner.

There are players on upwards of £600 pw at Dumbarton 

Physics coaches? Does Stephen Hawking sit at the side of the pitch bleeping about Planck's Constant and the like?

49 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Physics coaches? Does Stephen Hawking sit at the side of the pitch bleeping about Planck's Constant and the like?

Greenied just for the utterly startling occurrence of Planck's Constant in a thread about Raith Rovers.

What a world.

From our extended stay in the seaside league, which was purely for research purposes, McKinnon's Brechin team really stood out as a mob that was punching above its weight. I can't say Darren Young and his Albion team grabbed me in the same way. In the games at East End they defended ferociously, with midfielders really getting stuck in. No question about them being fit and organised. McKinnon's team had us chasing shadows. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

In fairness the season we played McKinnons Brechin we were shite.

When we played Albion Rovers we had Faiss, doing hings.

I was horrendously sober when we played them through in Coatbridge and the grass looked to be ankle high and the pitch bobbly. They mastered it fine but it didn't make life easy. Young spent a decent amount of time at East End and former Pars seem to do well for Raith. Might be a decent appointment but he just hadn't struck me as being outstanding in any way. 

If we do indeed appoint Hughes, absolutely none of us at all can complain if it doesn't work. 

Would be pleased with that appointment - confident he'll get more out the side than Locke managed and can salvage the season away from a relegation battle. 

Hughes would be an appointment I'd imagine most Rovers fans will be happy with, done well wherever he's been and I'd be quite confident of him taking us back up to around 5th with the time and squad he has left. 

Will be interesting to see how this move pans out for both parties. When he joined ICT Hughes took a team that was flying in second place and really put the brakes on as he gradually imposed his style of football. We ended up finishing 5th.

But the next season brought huge rewards. Still operating with the core of the squad that Butcher left behind Hughes took them to a whole new level as we secured a 3rd place finish and won the Scottish Cup. With thoe players he had at his disposal Hughes was able to successfully implement his style of play and it reaped rewards.

However, as key players started to leave Hughes struggled to replace them and his moves in the transfer market were poor at best and we struggled to replicate the form of the previous year which most teams probably would to be fair if they lost players like Graeme Shinnie and Billy Mckay. New arrivals like Dani Lopez simply weren't good enough and whilst HUghes stuck by his approach to the game it was rapidly becoming clear that the team could no longer play that way given the available personnel.

After Dundee United approached ICT to speak to Hughes he allegedly threw a strop when this was refused and didn't take training for two days. He did then sign a new deal with us but fell out with the board over funds as well as some players in the team.

Come the end of the season it was clear that his time was up. The relationship between Hughes and the chairman had completely broken down and a lot of fans were coming down on the side of the players who Hughes had proposed to release. 

It will be interesting to see what he does at Raith. He isn't taking over a team that is flying high but I don't know what the quality in the squad is like. From a quick read over posts it doesn't seem that great, a load of Locke's pals for the most part, so again, given what he has to work with it will be interesting to see how he can get them playing the way we all know he likes given my perception of the quality in the team.

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

Will be interesting to see how this move pans out for both parties. When he joined ICT Hughes took a team that was flying in second place and really put the brakes on as he gradually imposed his style of football. We ended up finishing 5th.

But the next season brought huge rewards. Still operating with the core of the squad that Butcher left behind Hughes took them to a whole new level as we secured a 3rd place finish and won the Scottish Cup. With thoe players he had at his disposal Hughes was able to successfully implement his style of play and it reaped rewards.

However, as key players started to leave Hughes struggled to replace them and his moves in the transfer market were poor at best and we struggled to replicate the form of the previous year which most teams probably would to be fair if they lost players like Graeme Shinnie and Billy Mckay. New arrivals like Dani Lopez simply weren't good enough and whilst HUghes stuck by his approach to the game it was rapidly becoming clear that the team could no longer play that way given the available personnel.

After Dundee United approached ICT to speak to Hughes he allegedly threw a strop when this was refused and didn't take training for two days. He did then sign a new deal with us but fell out with the board over funds as well as some players in the team.

Come the end of the season it was clear that his time was up. The relationship between Hughes and the chairman had completely broken down and a lot of fans were coming down on the side of the players who Hughes had proposed to release. 

It will be interesting to see what he does at Raith. He isn't taking over a team that is flying high but I don't know what the quality in the squad is like. From a quick read over posts it doesn't seem that great, a load of Locke's pals for the most part, so again, given what he has to work with it will be interesting to see how he can get them playing the way we all know he likes given my perception of the quality in the team.

To be fair there's a team in us somewhere. Just needs the right person to pick them back up and go from there. We've shown in the odd game here and there we can be decent if we want to be and I think on paper our team is not overly bad. If Hughes is appointed and keeps us up that's all we can ask for. I'd not be overly against him staying for next season if he can do well in the next couple of months. But yes survival is key.