The New Raith Rovers Thread

Decent appointment. Leaving aside the Hibs game which will be his first match, we've got Queens, Dumbarton, St Mirren, Ayr next. How we perform in those four games will define our season. Pick up 8+ points and we will be safe. Continue to struggle as we are and we'll be in for a nervy end to the season. Hopefully Hughes can get us moving again. 

20 minutes ago, Raithie said:

To be fair there's a team in us somewhere. Just needs the right person to pick them back up and go from there. We've shown in the odd game here and there we can be decent if we want to be and I think on paper our team is not overly bad. If Hughes is appointed and keeps us up that's all we can ask for. I'd not be overly against him staying for next season if he can do well in the next couple of months. But yes survival is key. 

I'm intrigued to see how it all pans out. For all my criticisms of Hughes I can't argue with the job he did at Inverness. I do wish he was a bit more adaptable with his style of play however and I didn't like his continual fawning over most things Celtic (he talked about feeling immense pride at seeing Ryan Christie in a Celtic top) and some of the mince he comes out with is laughable but I don't bear him any (major) grudges so I'll be keeping an eye out for Rovers results to see if he can turn things around.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

My Livi supporting mate (Hi Gareth) has just told me that Hughes and Bobby Barr don't get on. They had an on-pitch argument and he never played under him again. Hopefully they can both over look that cause Barr is an excellent player on his day.

Was that when Barr got punted to East Fife and then signed for Brechin?

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Was that when Barr got punted to east fife and then signed for Brechin?

Looking at his Wiki page, that seems to be the case. Given that Barr is on a two year deal I really hope this isn't too much of an issue.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Looking at his Wiki page, that seems to be the case. Given that Barr is on a two year deal I really hope this isn't too much of an issue.

I think I remember reading on here that Barr had attitude problems at other clubs when he was younger, seems to have screwed the nut now, though.

From our extended stay in the seaside league, which was purely for research purposes, McKinnon's Brechin team really stood out as a mob that was punching above its weight. I can't say Darren Young and his Albion team grabbed me in the same way. In the games at East End they defended ferociously, with midfielders really getting stuck in. No question about them being fit and organised. McKinnon's team had us chasing shadows. 

Good point about The Young : McKinnon comparison. Albion knocked us out of cup (one of our worst ever results given the upside in next round) but to be fair there was nothing about their tactics or style of play that led me to believe that Darren Young was destined for bigger things.

Every man behind the ball , admittedly chasing every lost cause but no visible quality. We should have been good enough but weren't - credit to Young and Albion but I was pleased that we didn't go for him.