The New Raith Rovers Thread

Don't hold any bitterness towards Gary Locke. He tried his best but it just turned out to be not good enough. He conducted himself with dignity whilst in the job, even when we were on a horrific run and as long as he doesn't come out with a press article slating the club to distract from his own deficiencies then I'll wish him well in the future. 

Watched the new manager on Sportscene yesterday, I personally thought he should have had the players in for a get to know session on Saturday, would he have been there if he hadn't been named Rovers manager? .  Also one name came to my mind watching him and that was Jocky Scott.  I really hope I am wrong and wish Yogi all the best for the forth coming months I will no doubt get pelters for this and hope they are deserved as the man has not had a chance yet but it was a lingering doubt in my mind.  As I said I hope I am entirely wrong and if so will say I'm very sorry now.

We all know he has to have time, assess the situation and get the right balance. Work closely with Craig to see the potential in our youth system. And if we finish safely, try to blood these youths into the team. Patience is key.

35 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Watched the new manager on Sportscene yesterday, I personally thought he should have had the players in for a get to know session on Saturday, would he have been there if he hadn't been named Rovers manager? .  Also one name came to my mind watching him and that was Jocky Scott.  I really hope I am wrong and wish Yogi all the best for the forth coming months I will no doubt get pelters for this and hope they are deserved as the man has not had a chance yet but it was a lingering doubt in my mind.  As I said I hope I am entirely wrong and if so will say I'm very sorry now.

Are you seriously suggesting Sportscene only got him on because he was appointed Raith manager  ? I think BBC may have had their studio guests set in stone more than a couple of days before the game. It might have a little something to do with the fact he played for Celtic and managed Caley. 

Eta - I think your board have got this one right, given time he will have rovers a top 5 side in this league. 

Edited by Broony88

1 hour ago, steakngravy said:

I imagine it will be something that was booked way before the Rovers gig appeared and he honoured it. I certainly don't think they called him up less than 24 hours before the game because he'd suddenly become Rovers manager!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Hughes was promoting the Scottish Cup and talking up Warburton 24 hours before his appointment in a press call for social media. He's won the cup within the last 5 years so that makes him a more relevant guest than most. As Skyline Drifter says, I don't think his new role as Rovers manager had anything to do with why he was picked. Personally, I think we've got a squad which is sorely underachieving at the moment for our league position and form. I said back in August that I'd be disappointed if we were near the relegation battle, and it's proven to be the case. But I think for the next few months, the board have appointed the best man on paper for the job. 

5 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

This, absolutely this. Not expecting an instant miracle, but I believe wholeheartedly he'll get them fired up.....Atleast

He'll need to do a bit more than that. Only 3 teams have scored less goals than us to date in Scotland - Kilmarnock, Ayr United and Edinburgh City. Even down in the Highland and Lowland leagues every team has scored more than us and that places us 73rd out of 76 teams in terms of goals scored.

It would be simplistic to say it's all the fault of the forwards because the midfield has been rank rotten, creating next to nothing all season and the defence has been guilty of hammering the ball up the park since Calderon left.

Hard work lies ahead for Hughes sorting that mess out.

42 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

He'll need to do a bit more than that. Only 3 teams have scored less goals than us to date in Scotland - Kilmarnock, Ayr United and Edinburgh City. Even down in the Highland and Lowland leagues every team has scored more than us and that places us 73rd out of 76 teams in terms of goals scored.

It would be simplistic to say it's all the fault of the forwards because the midfield has been rank rotten, creating next to nothing all season and the defence has been guilty of hammering the ball up the park since Calderon left.

Hard work lies ahead for Hughes sorting that mess out.

It's quite clear our midfield hasn't been fantastic. We've had consistent injury problems, but then every team does. I'm hoping we'll see Craig Barr making more regular appearances.

There is hard work ahead for Hughes and that would've been the case for no matter who came in. Sacking Locke was not a silver bullet, but it had become very clear that he was not the one to reverse our dreadful form. 

The most immediate problem Hughes has is to get us scoring goals again. Our strikers have at times taken the flak for that, but it does seem that the problem is more down to a hoplessly inept midfield that offers next to nothing in terms of creativity. Bobby Barr is the only one who looks like offering something, and it is just so predictable for the opposition. 

Not one player in the squad is better than he was before Locke & Jackson started coaching them. First few games of the season wed were a decent team, the longer Locke was with them he coached all the good out of them. Results and performances have proved this.

JH will surely get them out of this rut and coach them back to where they were, lot of hard work ahead. 3rd bottom will do me

On the face of it, this is as good an appointment as Rovers could have made. Think you'll easily finish in 5th or 6th now. There's definitely quality in your squad & Hughes should be able to sort them out.

If he does, what do you guys think will happen in the summer?

Edited by da_no_1