The New Raith Rovers Thread

if man of the match Scott Robertson keeps putting on performances like tonite

we are going to have some season

he is a class player and will hopefully stay clear of injuries

I reckon everyone put in a performance tonite, Smith must be as happy as Larry.

well deserved. Higginbum would have had 3 yellow cards if that was a real game, fouled the whole night

Even though it's a meaningless game, it's still reassuring to hear we performed well with Callachan and Robertson putting in good shifts. We start with two of our most tricky games of the season, but there seems to be a bit of a feel-good factor with us dispelling last season. Hopefully we'll clear up the left back situation shortly and then see if any additional signings come up. So far I'm quietly confident about the season.

The big if comes with keeping all our players fit and injury free. With that said, Ayr's squad is hardly the deepest itself. Other than that Stranraer will no doubt cause problems and appear to have a really good team. The remaining teams are generally a bit unknown for us. 

Ayr haven't improved the squad bar 2 signings really. Just because they are ft won't make their players any better. We are easily the best team in the league and should start acting like it. We are going to romp this Diddy seaside league.

Yeah me neither.

if man of the match Scott Robertson keeps putting on performances like tonite
we are going to have some season
he is a class player and will hopefully stay clear of injuries
I reckon everyone put in a performance tonite, Smith must be as happy as Larry.
well deserved. Higginbum would have had 3 yellow cards if that was a real game, fouled the whole night

In fairness, Bene would have had two yellows if it had been a competitive game as well.

We certainly seemed to create plenty of chances and you could see they're making a real effort to put some passes together. Early days but if we play even half as good as that throughout the season then I would fully expect us to go up.

Really enjoyable 90 minutes last night, thought the whole team did well and it was great to see the chemistry between the front three. Would've been nice to see Spence get off the mark but I'm sure it'll come for him. I think it's noticeable that he's the one that didn't play full time football last season, but that sharpness will come back with time.

Callachan and Robertson were excellent in the middle of the park, kept the ball and Ross in particular picked out a few excellent forward passes to Vaughan. Vaughan's finish was obviously pleasing on the eye but I enjoyed Matthews' the most. Bullied the number 15 off the ball, strode forwards and zipped it into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Who is the number 5 at the back for the Pars? Trying a Zidane turn on the edge of his own box is perhaps not the greatest move for a centre half.

Not getting too excited because it's a friendly, but pleasing to see nonetheless.

Really enjoyable 90 minutes last night, thought the whole team did well and it was great to see the chemistry between the front three. Would've been nice to see Spence get off the mark but I'm sure it'll come for him. I think it's noticeable that he's the one that didn't play full time football last season, but that sharpness will come back with time.

Callachan and Robertson were excellent in the middle of the park, kept the ball and Ross in particular picked out a few excellent forward passes to Vaughan. Vaughan's finish was obviously pleasing on the eye but I enjoyed Matthews' the most. Bullied the number 15 off the ball, strode forwards and zipped it into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Who is the number 5 at the back for the Pars? Trying a Zidane turn on the edge of his own box is perhaps not the greatest move for a centre half.

Not getting too excited because it's a friendly, but pleasing to see nonetheless.

Number 5 was Callum Morris, who once posed for a picture looking like a low-level operative in a 1920's bootlegging operation.

1929705a2d7d997f006dfd9daedd2cb2.jpg

8 hours ago, grumswall said:

Fantastic to see Vaughan destroying players at times. Beautiful finish for his goal as well. Overall a good workout and Brian didn't have a save to make really? A league bellow but still better..... Kings of Fife..... Etc

*SuperHans does not like this*

Delighted for him, looked like he was decent in the Clyde game too, long may it continue.

Watching the highlights there. Taking nothing away from a good performance but the Pars were very sluggish, howeverwe looked very sharp. Pleasing signs and hopefully we've got at least 1 player with a keen eye for goals.

First time I've had a chance to see us this season, but last night was an extremely pleasing performance. Enjoyed the high tempo we played in spells. As others have said, Callaghan and Robertson were excellent in the midfield, and Vaughan and Buchanan both looked lively. Spence snatched at a few chances from probably further out that needed, when he could have tried to take a man on or play a pass, but that will come! Thompson looked a lot better and is clearly fitter already! The boy Euan Murray had a solid game, although I don't see him as a left back!

My only disappointment is that Smith didn't change it up more, giving a few of the guys on the bench a chance. Matthews got maybe 15 mins - Yaw and McKay must have been lucky to get 2 mins... With the exception the GK, and maybe Murrya - the team that started last night will be our starting line up day 1 of th season .. I still think we will add 2 or 3 to that squad maybe into august when the loan market picks up.

None the less - If that's a sign of things to come, then I'd be confident going into the league!

The Pars on the other hand. I know its only a friendly, but they have a lot of work to do. They were awful. Speaking to a couple of Pars mates, that was pretty much their strongest 11 barring 2 players. I'd be a bit worried being a Pars fan - they will need to improve a lot otherwise they'll be floating around the bottom half as they did much of last season.

Not getting too carried away, but it seems Smith is cultivating a strength in unity vibe at Starks, we certainly lacked that all of the last season. They looked eager to get forward at every opportunity which is pleasing. The Pars on the other hand have work to do. If we can for once escape too much in the way of injuries and suspensions this season then we'll have something to shout about, especially in a positive manner. It'll be a slog that's for sure and every team will raise their game against us. We have to without exception rise to that challenge. The cup games are a bonus, but it's the league first, last and always

My only disappointment is that Smith didn't change it up more, giving a few of the guys on the bench a chance. Matthews got maybe 15 mins - Yaw and McKay must have been lucky to get 2 mins...

Matthews got 37 mins. The Barr for Matthews sub was made in the 53rd minute.

You were closer with Yaw and McKay though. They only got 6 mins.

Last night, you can tell that both managers were trying to treat it like a competitive fixture with the lack of subs used from either team, with both teams next game being competitive now.

Last nights squad will start the game on Saturday with 2 changes. I think Lennox will be back in although Brian didn't do anything wrong. I also think McHattie will sign before the weekend. Whether he's injured or not, who knows. It's weird him sitting in the dugout on Saturday at Clyde and being in the stand last Wednesday and last night yet not featuring at all as a trialist. We definately need a left back anyway and I'd be surprised if it wasn't McHattie. I don't want it to be him but I reckon it will be.