The New Raith Rovers Thread

Cannot believe we’ve extended Smith’s contract, he’s worse than Garry O'Connor coming off lines.

Looking forward to seeing what the young boy from Celtic has got however, and hopefully a promising prospect.

What’s the general consensus now, business done? Or is there a few quid left for another player? I’d still like to see either a full back and/or a winger in.

I can still see us signing at least a couple of players. I agree both positions could do with cover but it looks like smith quite rightly is looking for a target man up front.

I cant stand Smith as much as the next person but even with him and our makeshift defence, we still have by far the best defensive record in the league. What we lack is an outlet, a plan B. Something we’ll really need as pitches deteriorate as the season goes on. I’d of loved to have seen Sutton back at San Starko but it looks like that won’t happen.

I can still see us signing at least a couple of players. I agree both positions could do with cover but it looks like smith quite rightly is looking for a target man up front.

I cant stand Smith as much as the next person but even with him and our makeshift defence, we still have by far the best defensive record in the league. What we lack is an outlet, a plan B. Something we’ll really need as pitches deteriorate as the season goes on. I’d of loved to have seen Sutton back at San Starko but it looks like that won’t happen.

I agree. We’ll see at least another striker coming in. The fact that he’s approached both Nathan Austin and John Sutton about deals shows that really.

What an absolute joke, don’t moan about funds then extend a keepers contract who’s been questionable when we’ve got a perfectly good one on the bench and a youth keeper who’s done well when called upon.

Could be worse. Could have resigned Lee Robinson. The Pars have signed him [emoji23]

I knew we would extend Smith, so will moan no more about it other than to say it's a poor prioritisation of funds. 

We need more cover in defence. McHattie has been injured more or less permanently  (shocking, given he was injured when we signed him) and Davidson/Thomson are no strangers to picking up injuries either. 

Presumably, we aren't going to see Kevin Cuthbert again. 

NOT on that day he wasn't. Stopped quite a few.

One game does not make him good. His average for the rest of the games for us was an average of just under 3 goals conceded per game. From what I remember as well, the majority of the goals that he conceded went right through him. He was beyond awful.

The thing about the Smith signing is we have one of the tightest defences in Scotland so that's the argument to keep him.

The fact I could play in goals and still have a decent record seems to be neither here or there.

7 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

One game does not make him good. His average for the rest of the games for us was an average of just under 3 goals conceded per game. From what I remember as well, the majority of the goals that he conceded went right through him. He was beyond awful.

7 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

:lol: Do read the original post guys.

What I SAID was he helped us beat Rangers that day. Full stop.

I never said he was a McGurn, Murray McDermott, et al.

I attended a good number of games he played in and he was gash,but............ not at Easter Road that day

Smith signing until the end of the season is completely reasonable and sensible. We went into this year with 3 keepers, Lennox, cuthburt and Brian. Unfortunately cuthburt won't be fit for this year and probably won't play again. After getting Lennox injured this left us with one keeper, who had never played a competitive first team game btw, and so smith was signed. With cuthburt not going to play again it makes perfect sense to keep smith, really do not understand why people are surprised or annoyed with his contract extension tbh.

Still do not think that he should be our no.1 tho and Lennox is the much better keeper.

Throwing Brian in at the deepend could have completely destroyed him like it did Coll Donaldson a few years back at EEP. The boy had a poor first half, subbed off and never seen again.

49 minutes ago, ac-rrfc said:

Smith signing until the end of the season is completely reasonable and sensible. We went into this year with 3 keepers, Lennox, cuthburt and Brian. Unfortunately cuthburt won't be fit for this year and probably won't play again. After getting Lennox injured this left us with one keeper, who had never played a competitive first team game btw, and so smith was signed. With cuthburt not going to play again it makes perfect sense to keep smith, really do not understand why people are surprised or annoyed with his contract extension tbh.

Still do not think that he should be our no.1 tho and Lennox is the much better keeper.

Throwing Brian in at the deepend could have completely destroyed him like it did Coll Donaldson a few years back at EEP. The boy had a poor first half, subbed off and never seen again.

Colin WILSON was wearing a plaster that day because he had broken his wrist, Murray told him to remove the plaster and sent him on!

Unbelievable, who could possibly concentrate on the game whist protecting a fractured bone. 

Coco was with Hill o Beath I think, last I heard.

Colin WILSON was wearing a plaster that day because he had broken his wrist, Murray told him to remove the plaster and sent him on!
Unbelievable, who could possibly concentrate on the game whist protecting a fractured bone. 
Coco was with Hill o Beath I think, last I heard.

Yeh your right it was him!
I'm sure he had featured in a couple of games before that though and people were wanting him to get some game time?? Could be wrong again though

Still dont agree with throwing players in when they're relatively untested and think getting smith in for another 6 months is a smart decision however

1 minute ago, ac-rrfc said:

Yeh your right it was him!
I'm sure he had featured in a couple of games before that though and people were wanting him to get some game time?? Could be wrong again though

Still dont agree with throwing players in when they're relatively untested and think getting smith in for another 6 months is a smart decision however

Good laddie, came thro' our Youth system but Murray screwed him up with that game in particular.

Never came back from that situation at EEP.

Good laddie, came thro' our Youth system but Murray screwed him up with that game in particular.
Never came back from that situation at EEP.

That's the thing eh, got to protect the youth where possible rather than just throwing them in!

The Colin Wilson situation reminds me of the first game of the season against alloa when Dave McKay was hooked at half time. Clearly a different kind of man management to back then however, really consider McKay a solid enough centre half now.

One positive out of our injury crisis is that Dave McKay has been excellent over the last few weeks. His ball out of defence started our first goal. Admittedly, he was posted missing for the first but he's looked a top prospect so far from the youth set up. Has the build to be able to push on. 

I can understand keeping Smith considering the situation we ended up in last year but surely he should be sitting on the bench while Lennox gets a few games in. Especially as Lennox has looked like he would be a good player to have next season while Smith is at the opposite end of his playing days.