The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Raithie said:

Have fond memories of our playoff game against Stirling where we took a huge support through...we shat the bed that day as well. Maybe we should limit our support allocation to 90.

I remember having to walk along the side of the pitch to get to the terracing behind the goals as the stand wasfull that say.

Thst team were fucking awful as well. Amazing that Mcglynn could do what he did with that.

Re the 3 main talking points over the past couple of days:

The Stadium management on Saturday was piss poor. For me, the whole situation was completely avoidable. The North Stand could have been offered up as a parent and child/family section or alternatively, set decision points should have been in place in the run up to kick off - monitoring numbers in the south stand from 30 mins to kick off with set criteria to open make the North Stand available if required (say that the South Stand reached 75% capacity at 15 mins to kick off for example.

Either way, I thought it was an opportunity missed to have rovers fans at both ends of the ground in the event we were chasing a goal in the 2nd half and shooting towards the North end. Oh..

Folks turning up at 10 to 3 didn't help either, despite the request from the club to come early.

The decision to sell Callachan at the end of the window was pretty stupid. We've definitely missed his energy and commitment. Hasn't looked out of place in the SPL so a definite hindrance to us not having him. Matthews didn't step up to the plate, Herron has been unfit for most of the season and Vaughan is ineffective in that role.

Lastly, I've never been a fan of the playoff format, for a number of reasons. For one, I don't think finishing 4th in a league of 10 deserves the reward of a shot at promotion. Nor does finishing 2nd bottom of the league above deserve an opportunity to save yourself against 'lesser' teams. If we must have them, then a format similar to the SPL playoff (minus the team from the league above) feels fairer - that would be 3rd v 4th (2 legs), the winner playing 2nd over 2 legs with home advantage in the 2nd leg to the highest place team in both rounds. Or even just a single round of 2nd vs 3rd. It's only fair that the higher placed team should have some advantage by virtue of a better league position

On 28/04/2018 at 23:01, Pride of Fife said:

If we stay down but remain full time then the table suggests we will do fine with roughly what we have. If we went up it would be a long season around the bottom of table I imagine.

Dunfermline’s surge in numbers has plenty to do with their brush with extinction, siege mentality stuff. Basically they have benefited ever since and continue to do so. What exactly was the punishment again? Couple of season in this league but they got rid of all the deadwood and got to build a better team cause of it

:lol:

37 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Didn’t Marvin almost kill Stevie Bell in the 1st Leg ?

Took the ball, then the man, then almost ploughed him into the railway stand. Stirling fans greeting for a yellow and saying he'd ruined Bell's season (made it back for Saturday) when it was a perfect tackle. Walked away and high-fived, of all people, Kevin Fotheringham.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

I remember having to walk along the side of the pitch to get to the terracing behind the goals as the stand wasfull that say.

Thst team were fucking awful as well. Amazing that Mcglynn could do what he did with that.

I ended up in the stand then folk starting moving to the terrace behind the goals so I done the same. Was bouncing pre-match then I remember us taking the lead then conceding a penalty straight from kick off. The rest of the game is a blur. 

17 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

What are folks thoughts on season ticket holders having to pay in Saturday? A few folk are moaning on Facebook about the injustice of it all!

Yep  clubs that minted it can afford to let hundreds of season ticket holders in for free.They,ve had their moneys worth this season,maybe not entertainment wise but certainly money wise  but some want more

If the club made season tickets valid for the play off they,d make a loss and any extra revenue from Saturday past would be eaten up

52 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

The decision to sell Callachan at the end of the window was pretty stupid. We've definitely missed his energy and commitment. Hasn't looked out of place in the SPL so a definite hindrance to us not having him. Matthews didn't step up to the plate, Herron has been unfit for most of the season and Vaughan is ineffective in that role.

Correct, however you also have to factor in the signings we made on the back of that.

Would we have afforded to bring in Zanatta who won us a fair few points with his goals/assists, we also signed Graeme Smith, Herron, Furtado, and Hendry during the course of the season, and renewed Vaughan's contract for what would have been a significant uplift in wages - If Callachan hadn't left, would we have been able to afford all of that?

A single play off final at a neutral venue is an absolute no brainer. If you look at the English play-offs it’s the best bit of it. Great occasions, tension, drama, cup final feel and they even get presented with a cup if they win. The crowds they get are fantastic. 

Its typical of Scottish football to copy what was going on elsewhere yet ditch the very reason why it works so well. My guess it was the short sighted greed of an extra gate. Morons. 

Correct, however you also have to factor in the signings we made on the back of that.
Would we have afforded to bring in Zanatta who won us a fair few points with his goals/assists, we also signed Graeme Smith, Herron, Furtado, and Hendry during the course of the season, and renewed Vaughan's contract for what would have been a significant uplift in wages - If Callachan hadn't left, would we have been able to afford all of that?

Selling Callachan didn't fund all that, but I get your point. It didn't cost us the league as an isolated event but it definitely contributed. We could have done with him on Saturday, perfect game for him.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Have fond memories of our playoff game against Stirling where we took a huge support through...we shat the bed that day as well. Maybe we should limit our support allocation to 90.

I spent a whole half telling David Bingham how much he looked like an alien. 

Me, drink and football don't mix well. 

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Me, drink and football don't mix well. 

Are you sure you weren't talking to the rubber doll that was confiscated by the stewards?

13 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Are you sure you weren't talking to the rubber doll that was confiscated by the stewards?

Speaking of David Bingham, aliens, stewards confiscating stuff. Many many moons ago when Bingham was playing for Livi we took an inflatable alien with 'Bingham' written on the back to the game ...said alien was refused entry. Maybe should have waited til we got into the ground before blowing it up rather than chance our arm getting it through the turnstiles.

I would have preferred we kept callachan to all those players we signed. I was always one who defended callachan though. His drive opened up alot of gaps for our strikers to take advantage of. It's no coincidence our goals dried up to an extent after he left Imo.

The BoD are at fault for many of the things that have happened to the club and the sale of Callachan was a decision that they will have made.

I think a lot of the decisions seem to be 'justifiable' from the BoD point of view when you look into their occupational history. Young, Sim and Sinton are from accounting backgrounds and Tom Morgan formally worked in 'financial services'. Interestingly Bill Clark (newest member) has a background in education and leadership, management and improvement planning for governments. It would seem that maybe his presence on the BoD is to try and get some kind of consistency in the running of the club.

We've learned from so many other clubs the dangers of overspending and to ensure the cloth is always cut accordingly. It looks to me like too many bean counters and not enough people with any actual business savvy and, judging by the last 2 seasons, any football savvy either.