The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

We couldn't afford to keep him due to the budget.

If that's been confirmed then fair enough but I have my doubts. Spence was hardly getting a look in towards the end of the season so I'm suspecting Smith didn't rate him. If the striker we've agreed terms with turns out to be Duggan it was alleged other full time teams were after him, would be surprised if we couldn't afford Spence but can somehow afford Duggan.

15 minutes ago, Raithie said:

If that's been confirmed then fair enough but I have my doubts. Spence was hardly getting a look in towards the end of the season so I'm suspecting Smith didn't rate him. If the striker we've agreed terms with turns out to be Duggan it was alleged other full time teams were after him, would be surprised if we couldn't afford Spence but can somehow afford Duggan.

Believe me you would have been far better with Spence than Duggan

13 minutes ago, Deadly said:

I'm fairly certain that's not what happened, and there was no offer (even a reduced one) put on the table for him at all.

I spoke to Grieg at the Cowdenbeath v Cove game and when I asked was it down to the budget (money available) he said yes.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer said:

I spoke to Grieg at the Cowdenbeath v Cove game and when I asked was it down to the budget (money available) he said yes.

He's hardly going to say "Naw, its cause the manager thinks I'm shite."

I think there’s a chance Spence might’ve stayed had Buchanan not been under contract.

Regardless of whether anybody rates Spence or not, there’s no way we could justify seeing those two up front again all season with Barry Smith in charge.

A bit odd then - same source but a different take on it.

Same outcome, he's away and we need bums on seats. Hopefully some new (and decent) faces come in soon.

31 minutes ago, flyfifer48 said:

Believe me you would have been far better with Spence than Duggan

Spence might be a better player than Duggan but I can't imagine that Duggan can be any less suited to our play under Smith than Spence was. I'm also hoping (if we sign him) he might actually bring Buchanan into play a bit more as well.

22 minutes ago, true_rover said:
24 minutes ago, Brashy said:
New signing incoming...

Tomorrow afternoon, let 24 hours of wild speculation commence! (Even if it will probably be one of the couple of names mentioned already)

A new signing? We'll be unstoppable!

Spence might be a better player than Duggan but I can't imagine that Duggan can be any less suited to our play under Smith than Spence was. I'm also hoping (if we sign him) he might actually bring Buchanan into play a bit more as well.

I think duggans a better player than spence and looked excellent in a poor team last season can only get better going back full time.

Regarding Spence , it’s clear that smith just didn’t  rate him after Xmas because he hardly featured in the first 11 also it’s easy to tell a player that it’s down to budget rather than his ability or his type of player. Also I’m sure budgets have been cut but if Alloa can offer more than us it’s a worrying situation regardless if Alloa are in the championship because they still would only be averaging less than 1600 a home game

Edited by basher brash