The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, embow said:

Have they managed yet to get their collective small minds round this?

Hearts players will choose whether to lift Scottish Championship trophy - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56847922

And the answer is...

Hearts: Captain Steven Naismith to lift Scottish Championship trophy in 'act of respect' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56847922

"Hearts" and "respect for Scottish football" are not words you'll find in the same sentence these last two seasons. Trying to save their own collective skins through reorganisation? Court cases? Aye! Respect. That'll be right!😡

Probably the worst I've felt after a football match.  Perhaps the Alloa game where we could have won the league, but at least was able to drive up the road with minimum fuss afterwards.  After that Dunfermline game, we'd been on it all day so had to wait for 2 trains home experiencing the worst hangover ever.
Doesn't matter how good a season you've had or how much you've punched above your weight, when you are in with a shout of winning something, you want to win it.  That season is still the one that got away, as whilst Dunfermline were worthy winners, we dropped some daft points at the end of March which could have got us over the line.
Some build up to the game though, that won't happen again.  There was even a Sportsound programme that week dedicated completely to that game. 
Ach just a bit banter. You'd have had the league won by that point if it wasn't for our phenomenal last quarter. Obviously it was all achieved literally on the never never and the next season was absolutely dogshite but those last 3 games make all the current dross worthwhile (if you think really really REALLY hard about it [emoji16])

2 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Ach just a bit banter. You'd have had the league won by that point if it wasn't for our phenomenal last quarter. Obviously it was all achieved literally on the never never and the next season was absolutely dogshite but those last 3 games make all the current dross worthwhile (if you think really really REALLY hard about it emoji16.png)

Was a great build up to that game. Phenomenal. To me it was the last Derby that had everything riding on it. Much like the 0-0 at Stark’s back in the 94-95 season. May be another in the play-offs in a few weeks time?

On worst I’ve ever felt after a game, the ‘no seats, no SPL’ game against Falkirk was a sore one. We’d been on a great run, got within touching distance then lost 1-0 at Brockville. Can’t remember the exact season, late 90s maybe or early 2000s. Not sure why I felt that more than others but I did. Relegation against Brechin and losing the league against Alloa recently were bad but I’m older and have a bit more perspective these days. Maybe more philosophical or just more resigned to it.

18 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Was a great build up to that game. Phenomenal. To me it was the last Derby that had everything riding on it. Much like the 0-0 at Stark’s back in the 94-95 season. May be another in the play-offs in a few weeks time?

The 94/95 game was before my time supporting the Pars but I'm surprised more Raith fans don't talk about it more, is it overshadowed by it's close proximity to the league Cup win? 

This may sound like sour grapes because we'd likely lose, but I can't see a playoff game reaching the height of either game without fans IMO. 

7 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Good subject topic there: what is the worst you’ve ever felt after a game?

The Martin Hardie game wouldn't even make top ten, for me, I'd never expected to go up and of course I got hopeful but when it came apart it was more of an ah well than a kick in the guts. As I remember it, anyway.

Two candidates that spring to mind: the 1-0 defeat at home to Airdrie towards the end of the 94-95 season, when we thought that bent ref might have cost us promotion. And this one - the game wasn't important but I remember going home fuming, which is not like me. The clip doesn't show them committing GBH on Alex Burns immediately prior to the winner.

12 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Two candidates that spring to mind: the 1-0 defeat at home to Airdrie towards the end of the 94-95 season, when we thought that bent ref might have cost us promotion. And this one - the game wasn't important but I remember going home fuming, which is not like me. The clip doesn't show them committing GBH on Alex Burns immediately prior to the winner.

I remember this game well. The club used to run a programme with local schools where there would be a morning training session/game and then you would go to the match later. This was supervised by some of the club's youth/fringe players. I went a few times and this is the one that sticks in mind. We were sat in the corner of the Main stand. 

I think I was the only Raith fan present - just about everyone else was a Rangers fan, with the odd Celtic fan in there for good measure. Made for a weird experience as very few actually knew who the players were. 

The bugler was right next to us as well, just to add to the overall misery. 

For me, the Alloa game and Pars game were bad but the Brechin game was probably the worst I've felt. With the Pars game, it felt very much like we'd punched above our weight all season and sprung some exceptional results. It isn't like this season where there's far more of a belief to go with the grit and determination. The Alloa game was annoying because it took us about 70 minutes to get going. One of those games where it felt like swapping the ends had a real impact even though we had fans in both the South and North stands.

But Brechin was a season long depression coming to a conclusion. As soon as we appointed Locke, you knew at best we would tread water and that any hard work undertaken by McKinnon had been discarded. Obviously he started well but it wasn't a surprise when the football went eye-bleedingly bad. I don't think I've ever been let down as much as I was with Yogi's tenure. It was a slow, creeping descent into madness. The performances were utterly pathetic towards the end from some players. I distinctly remember how silent the South Stand was other than the shouts for Drysdale to get to f**k. 

To get relegated is brutal. To do it by loaning out your best young talent who relegates you on goal difference is in itself a tale of the ineptitude at the club. Thank f**k for John McGlynn turning us around. Also, I'm glad we've got folk like Bill Clark on the board...no doubt in the Summer of 2020 previous board members would have rolled over and said we couldn't stand in Hearts way to remain in the top flight. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

The 94/95 game was before my time supporting the Pars but I'm surprised more Raith fans don't talk about it more, is it overshadowed by it's close proximity to the league Cup win? 

I think if we had won it and won the league it would have been a day talked about for years, but all it did was carry things over to the final game of the season. Still remember Pars fans at Kdy station kind of celebrating which I didn’t understand as the draw had handed us a huge advantage. The following week at Firhill when we got promoted was the one that gets talked about more. Jackie Husband stand packed full of Rovers fans and a nervy 0-0 to secure the title (and the double)

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

The Martin Hardie game wouldn't even make top ten, for me, I'd never expected to go up and of course I got hopeful but when it came apart it was more of an ah well than a kick in the guts. As I remember it, anyway.

There’s been a few games where we’ve conceded late goals and I’ve went away fuming. That St Mirren game was one of them. I spoke to Junior Mendes in 2002. I was friends with his cousin when I was working down South. Good guy. Talked over the end to that game.

The Partick Thistle game where we were 1-0 up and they scored in the 99th minute (season Thistle won the league) was also a ‘f**k this! Pub?’ game.

These games aren’t quite the same as that Alloa game. That was truly grim. I wasn’t that bothered with the Pars game as I didn’t really think we’d win the league, but the Alloa game was horrible. Then the play-off games against Alloa just prolonged the agony. Still, it was memorable.

Edited by Scary Bear

Guest Axle Grease

Rovers fan: THIS WAS A MALICIOUS ATTEMPT TO INCITE HATRED AND IT SHOWED ALL THE DARK AND UGLY SIDE OF FOOTBALL,,IMMATERIAL IF IT WAS JUST A CARDBOARD TANK ,,THE IMAGE WAS THERE,THE SOUND OF BULLETS AND BOMBS WAS THERE,,VERY LUCKY NOT TO HAVE HAD A FULL SCALE RIOT AND CASUALTYS TODAY BECAUSE OF THIS GUYS ACTION :rolleyes:

What one of you lot said this? Was it you all? 

2 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
13 minutes ago, stevoraith said:
Sammy the tanky was the best mascot banter I’ve ever witnessed.

That wasn’t the ‘league decider’ game was it?

Yeah it was. Did he not also go down the steps in the stand behind the goals in a sledge at one point in another game?

Aye he done loads of things that were quite humerus back in the day, think the Tank one was his final risqué one. Since then he's been a generic mascot really. 

Sammy as a tank was great, yeah. Think I'm right in saying it was only a few days after bullets had been sent in the post to a couple of the old firm, that was the tag on which those 'papers looking for a story tried to hang their claim about the irresponsibility of it.

Their conclusion should, of course, have been quite the opposite one. What Sammy was demonstrating was that the problems of the old firm shouldn't be projected onto the rest of Scottish football - here in Fife you can take a fucking tank onto the pitch, pretend to blast f**k out of opposing fans and hardly anyone will care. And hardly anyone did, not really.

43 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Sammy as a tank was great, yeah. Think I'm right in saying it was only a few days after bullets had been sent in the post to a couple of the old firm, that was the tag on which those 'papers looking for a story tried to hang their claim about the irresponsibility of it.

Their conclusion should, of course, have been quite the opposite one. What Sammy was demonstrating was that the problems of the old firm shouldn't be projected onto the rest of Scottish football - here in Fife you can take a fucking tank onto the pitch, pretend to blast f**k out of opposing fans and hardly anyone will care. And hardly anyone did, not really.

Agreed. I remember there was an interview in the red tops with the family of an ex-soldier saying it might have triggered off PTSD or something. They of course to neglect that there were a fair number of people in our end singing "Sammy is a paedo". We need more antics from mascots tbh. It's one of the things which distinguished us out in the past. You always hear people talk about stuff like the Paisley Panda escapades. I absolutely love the petty stuff between clubs. Like how in our 95/96 season our programme editor adding "not playing in Europe" under every Pars player for the derby. 

There was some rumours doing the rounds that the unveiling of Roary as our mascot was to include folk dressed as Shuggie & Duggie wearing Dunfermline tops and Roary was to come out and chase them round the pitch. Never did happen but thought it could have been funny. Also have a recollection of a Rovers fan doing a sponsored run around the track at Starks at half time wearing a Dunfermline top then promptly gesticulated wiping his arse with it afterwards.