The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, Michael W said:

It's one game, but off the back of failing to beat League Two opposition twice, the signs aren't great, are they?

Think there is a difference between signs not being great (which, based on what we've seen so far, they arent) and writing off the season - which some are on the verge of doing.

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would personally drive Easton and Zanatta to Gayfield myself if it got rid of them.

Megginson won't cut it in the championship. He didn't before and a couple of goals against our pathetic defence means nothing. 

Megginson will do fine in this league for Cove. I don't believe he'll get the top scorer award but he'll not be a flop. 

Not getting my knickers wet just yet. We looked fantastic against Peterhead, keech against Stirling Albion, mediocre against Dumbarton and for as much as the scoreline suggested it was a pumping against Aberdeen there were periods in that game we looked not too bad. With a couple of new signings flung into the starting 11 on Saturday without much notice I wasn't expecting miracles but thought we'd maybe fair a bit better than the scoreline suggested. Does this mean our season is over and we're destined for the drop? Absolutely not, I'll reserve judgement until we've played a few more games and even then we've got some big players due to return to the squad which will bolster it a bit. Hopefully Murray is continuing to look at options to strengthen the squad in the meantime. Again Murray saying all the right things post match and rightly so was angry and frustrated at the performance/result however this needs to translate onto the pitch. 

The way our pre-season has gone, I expected we may lose to Cove and the Dundee game will likely be a challenge too. The Morton and Accies games will likely give us a better indication of how things are shaping up.

I can only hope that we are still looking for players.

42 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Think there is a difference between signs not being great (which, based on what we've seen so far, they arent) and writing off the season - which some are on the verge of doing.

I do think that if actions aren't taken (sign another CB at a minimum) then we are in for a very tough season. Scoring goals is a problem as well, skelping a lightweight Peterhead team excepted. 

To an extent I think Murray has been unfortunate, as the shenanigans with CBs shows. You can't really legislate for that sort of thing and it's incredibly frustrating. Then again, when an entire defence left in the summer, not managing to bring in replacements looks very bad. I will admit that I'm pissed off because I really think Musonda should've been kept and the mess trying to replace them has irked me greatly. Bene I was happy to take the chance on replacing, Musonda much less so. But both going and taking until now to bring in a replacement, notwithstanding the problems we have faced, is bad. We are still really lacking in experience at the back, moreso now with Berra going (another curveball). I am still suspicious at the circumstances of that departure, but it's all speculation and there's little point dwelling on it. 

In saying that, the clear weakness in the team last season was up front, which we saw only too badly and Murray ought to have been aware of. In attempting to address this we have brought in a kid on loan. I've no axe to grind with a player I don't think I've ever seen play before, but will it solve our issues? We will get Vaughan back, true, but how many games will he play for us? With the greatest will in the world, he has to be managed very carefully or he'll end up with yet another serious injury. 

It is hard to be positive. The squad is worse than last season's, we made an arse of an easy LC group and there are clear problems in defence and up front. 

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I do think that if actions aren't taken (sign another CB at a minimum) then we are in for a very tough season. Scoring goals is a problem as well, skelping a lightweight Peterhead team excepted. 

To an extent I think Murray has been unfortunate, as the shenanigans with CBs shows. You can't really legislate for that sort of thing and it's incredibly frustrating. Then again, when an entire defence left in the summer, not managing to bring in replacements looks very bad. I will admit that I'm pissed off because I really think Musonda should've been kept and the mess trying to replace them has irked me greatly. Bene I was happy to take the chance on replacing, Musonda much less so. But both going and taking until now to bring in a replacement, notwithstanding the problems we have faced, is bad. We are still really lacking in experience at the back, moreso now with Berra going (another curveball). I am still suspicious at the circumstances of that departure, but it's all speculation and there's little point dwelling on it. 

In saying that, the clear weakness in the team last season was up front, which we saw only too badly and Murray ought to have been aware of. In attempting to address this we have brought in a kid on loan. I've no axe to grind with a player I don't think I've ever seen play before, but will it solve our issues? We will get Vaughan back, true, but how many games will he play for us? With the greatest will in the world, he has to be managed very carefully or he'll end up with yet another serious injury. 

It is hard to be positive. The squad is worse than last season's, we made an arse of an easy LC group and there are clear problems in defence and up front. 

This 👍🏻nail on head

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

To be fair, I'm sure he was and is.  

Some people seem to be working on the assumption that Murray is happy with the squad as it is, and that we've got what we've got.  I haven't heard or seen anything to suggest that, so I'm happy to give the opportunity for the management team to address that - given we have a whole month of the transfer window left and have played 1 league game. 

I'd agree that the 11 on Saturday does not give us enough, but I'm working on the assumption that there is still some movement to be had there. 

12 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

When we get Spencer/ Matthews back in 3/4 weeks and then Vaughan another 3 weeks at the back of them then yes.

And yet that doesn’t address the frailties in defence. Are we going to midfield our way to safety?

12 hours ago, Been going too long said:

That’s your opinion buddy but we did have megginson , we sat him on the bench every week . We do have some good players but we have lost a lot of decent ones as well , first half we created some chances but second half was embarrassing, where is our out working every other team mantra?

He concentrated on a high pressing game because we have nothing at the back. The first half of the Cove game proved we pressed up the park. We lost a goal because everyone was in the box. Free header goal. Second half, we came out a team demoralised that’s how it looked. Boom 2 down. 

All you read on here is the usual suspects telling people to calm down, if your so in the know tell us how we resolve the situation. 

RE Musonda, I agree, I would have been happy to see him stay - I really liked him as a player and he was pretty versatile.

However, I can understand some hesitancy from a new manager.  It's been hinted that perhaps length of contract offer was the determining factor.  If you were new in the door, and looked at Musondas stats from last year - would you be that keen to throw a 2 year deal out there?  He missed a good chunk through injury, and didn't hit the heights we saw from him in the previous season.  The game at East End Park after the cup win saw him absolutely rinsed time and time again.  From what I can see, he only made 18 league appearances - thats half a season.  We already have far too many players on longer term deals as it is - as well as too many injury prone players (we already have a Centre Half out with a really bad injury).  Part of our current problem has been handing out 2/3 year deals like sweeties to players that haven't given us enough back from it.

(That assumes that the rumour about contract length is the reason why Musonda didnt sign, of course)

I suspect Murray has underestimated the current market and thought replacing Musonda would be easier than it has been - but I don't think coming in and thinking we could replace him with equally or more effective use of budget was the strangest take I've seen from a football manager.  

This isn't a Gary Locke situation where a woefully incompetent manager has lucked himself into another job.  Murray will make mistakes, and its about how we react to this.  Saturday reinforced the problems that we can all see - but there is still opportunity to rectify that.  If we don't, or can't, give the manager opportunity to that - then there is literally zero point being a Rovers fan.  Instant success will not happen, and there will be situations where there is a bit of work required before we progress.

I've seen enough so far to suggest that with the right additions we can be a very good side - just have to give the manager a bit of time and trust.  Within reason, granted - but 1 game in isnt the time to press the panic button.

What I would say, I do have a fear if the existing players were very much "Mcglynn players", and that with a new management team it might just not click.  Saturdays post match interview was as direct in its criticism as I've heard for some time - will be interesting to see how it goes down.  Murray certainly doesn't strike me as the same type of "father figure" as the previous incumbent...

Edited by CALDERON

11 hours ago, raith1974 said:

There it is, relying on Vaughan. He's had 4 ACL is wish him ever bit of luck but we cannot count on him to get through a few games before something happens again. Yes a fit and confident Vaughan will rip defences but we have to tread very carefully for weeks with him. Spencer will make a difference but we still need an experienced CH in their along with a proper number 9, nit a kid from Killie who was deemed not good enough for their league challenge last season or Gullan that is not a striker.

Sense at last. Killie, a team that could barely lay a glove on us last season. We take a kid that couldn’t break into their team at all. Speaks volumes for the trajectory that we’re facing. Nothing from the Emperor to say funds are available to strengthen the weakest part of the squad. Quite simply nothing.  

10 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

He concentrated on a high pressing game because we have nothing at the back. The first half of the Cove game proved we pressed up the park. We lost a goal because everyone was in the box. Free header goal. Second half, we came out a team demoralised that’s how it looked. Boom 2 down. 

All you read on here is the usual suspects telling people to calm down, if your so in the know tell us how we resolve the situation. 

I don’t think I meant to reply to you bud tbh it was an Arbroath fan telling me to get a grip but me and technology is never good mix and I’m not ITK never have been. I’m not happy how things are at all, we fix things on the training pitch and by recruiting two experienced players once at cb and a striker 

Edited by Been going too long

1 minute ago, baillieinleeds said:

Sense at last. Killie, a team that could barely lay a glove on us last season. We take a kid that couldn’t break into their team at all. Speaks volumes for the trajectory that we’re facing. Nothing from the Emperor to say funds are available to strengthen the weakest part of the squad. Quite simply nothing.  

What do you expect the "Emperor" to say?  

Once the crocked players are back we'll have a terrific team, I've no doubt about that. There are temporary issues to be resolved, granted, but these are being addressed, and there's no reason to doubt that they will be adressed satisfactorily.

27 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

To be fair, I'm sure he was and is.  

Some people seem to be working on the assumption that Murray is happy with the squad as it is, and that we've got what we've got.  I haven't heard or seen anything to suggest that, so I'm happy to give the opportunity for the management team to address that - given we have a whole month of the transfer window left and have played 1 league game. 

I'd agree that the 11 on Saturday does not give us enough, but I'm working on the assumption that there is still some movement to be had there. 

They better get their collective arses into gear then eh! 

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Megginson will do fine in this league for Cove. I don't believe he'll get the top scorer award but he'll not be a flop. 

I agree, Mitch will be absolutely fine in the Championship. He's instinctive and a natural finisher; not many of them going about in this league. Agree with @1320Lichtie he was the difference on the day. Gullan and Connelly never looked confident in front of goal. If we can secure a creative number 10 to feed him centrally and a target man striker to play close to him when going 2 up top he'll excel even more. 

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would personally drive Easton and Zanatta to Gayfield myself if it got rid of them.

Megginson won't cut it in the championship. He didn't before and a couple of goals against our pathetic defence means nothing. 

I think any team at our level would take Easton in a heartbeat. Once Rovers get Spencer back and Scott Brown out of central defence and into his more natural DCM role, it will allow you to play Easton slightly further advanced, his quick feet will create space and provide assists. Zanatta has spells of quality, perhaps fleeting but surely is a good option to have.

Ethan Ross I'd easily take at Cove. 

A no nonsense brute of a CB and a unit of CF who can also tuck them away and you'll be transformed. Easier said than done and we're all looking for the above.

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

What do you expect the "Emperor" to say?  

Erm like make a statement saying there are funds to strengthen. It’s funny how everyone states similar worries. it’s me you all jump on. Funny that. I’m a supporter of the club btw. 

10 hours ago, raith1974 said:

How do you know there's further strengthening, I've seen nothing to suggest this.

I have to agree, I’ve seen nothing to suggest we are. The most secretive club in Scotland it would seem. 

9 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Erm like make a statement saying there are funds to strengthen. It’s funny how everyone states similar worries. it’s me you all jump on. Funny that. I’m a supporter of the club btw. 

The fewer statements we hear from John Sim the better. He can’t seem to open his mouth without putting his foot in it.

19 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

That's because it's none of your business.

You've been told already to calm down but here you are again ranting at the clouds.