The New Raith Rovers Thread

32 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Kyle Connell has signed for cove and tbh that’s about his level and good luck to the lad 

Yeah good luck to him, don’t get the hate for him,  he tried hard every game and is a young guy trying to make a career in football. Not his fault he wasn’t ready for the championship and pressure of being our number 9

Edited by Been going too long

9 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Yeah good luck to him, don’t get the hate for him,  he tried hard every game and is a young guy trying to make a career in football. Not his fault he wasn’t ready for the championship and pressure of being our number 9

Absolutely wasn’t his fault and I know the financials wasn’t great last season but we could’ve done better imo and I hope he goes on to have a good career 

18 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Rumour has it that Callum Smith from Airdrie has signed this morning. Strange one if true…

If it is true then surely someone is out the door? Because he plays ST/LW and we have Ross/Easton/Mullin who can all play left and Hamilton/Gullan/Vaughan who can all play ST 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That’s gold for us recruiting wise, at least for younger lads. Probably a decent part of Corr deciding on Raith, seeing another CB being successful due to coaching and opportunities! If Corr’s as good as Connor was, an older head beside him and we could become Center Half University. It also made clear how much the consistent playing time is an immense factor in development of a player with sufficient base skills,  but the level of that play is also important. Good luck, Conner!

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

I think you maybe right and I would guess Ross 

I’d guess Gullan. He presents as a better prospect for some other team, as he has shown he can do things when healthy and now he’s hopefully fixed, so perhaps worth a punt. Ross doesn’t have that same history. If Easton didn’t have history with IM, I’d suggest a bottom six Premiership team might be willing to have a punt.

30 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Rumour has it that Callum Smith from Airdrie has signed this morning. Strange one if true…

Yeah, I heard the same, along with a goalkeeper (won’t say the name as I know some people like the surprise of a new signing being announced).

Definitely would suggest there is an outgoing. Ross or Gullan would be the obvious options, probably Ross most likely. It’s a hard one, he was injured most of last season and looked a million miles off it when he did play but there is very obviously a player in there, would like to see how he get on after a full pre season.

4 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Yeah, I heard the same, along with a goalkeeper (won’t say the name as I know some people like the surprise of a new signing being announced).

Definitely would suggest there is an outgoing. Ross or Gullan would be the obvious options, probably Ross most likely. It’s a hard one, he was injured most of last season and looked a million miles off it when he did play but there is very obviously a player in there, would like to see how he get on after a full pre season.

Surely the manager and potter know we need CHs more than another attacker or unless someone moves on as suggested because we can’t start the league cup campaign with Masson and Corr as the pairing…. Hopefully the GK you’ve heard is someone good and exciting if true 

23 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If it is true then surely someone is out the door? Because he plays ST/LW and we have Ross/Easton/Mullin who can all play left and Hamilton/Gullan/Vaughan who can all play ST 

Ross, Gullan and Vaughan are all made of sugar glass. After last season the squad needs to be as big as possible. 

4 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Surely the manager and potter know we need CHs more than another attacker or unless someone moves on as suggested because we can’t start the league cup campaign with Masson and Corr as the pairing…. Hopefully the GK you’ve heard is someone good and exciting if true 

They definitely do, just because they haven’t signed a centre back yet, doesn’t mean they haven’t tried, they just haven’t been able to get one over the line for any number of reasons.

Sometimes it’s the way things work with signings, Murray will know he needs two centre backs and he obviously wants an attacker too (as well as other positions). But players don’t always join in chronological order of their level of need.

Just because Murray needs centre backs doesn’t mean if he has the opportunity to sign an attacker he wants (Smith) that he has to hit pause on that until he has his defenders in, otherwise he is missing out on players unnecessarily. As long as the right level of budget is reserved for two defenders, it doesn’t really matter what order they arrive in, as long as they are here in the next 5 weeks for the League Cup.

6 minutes ago, JaketheSnake said:

Ross, Gullan and Vaughan are all made of sugar glass. After last season the squad needs to be as big as possible. 

Thanks to our ortho / surgical expert there for that in depth analysis and understanding of the complex injury histories of some of our players. 

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’d guess Gullan. He presents as a better prospect for some other team, as he has shown he can do things when healthy and now he’s hopefully fixed, so perhaps worth a punt. Ross doesn’t have that same history. If Easton didn’t have history with IM, I’d suggest a bottom six Premiership team might be willing to have a punt.

I think Murray likes gullan and Ross has never really featured for him and plays in a position we have a few players in

44 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Please let it be Ross, he was a shadow of his former self last season injury didn’t help either. He’ll also be a big earner too. If Smith has signed then he can easily slot into that LW role. Competition for places isn’t a bad thing either. 

Just now, baillieinleeds said:

Please let it be Ross, he was a shadow of his former self last season injury didn’t help either. He’ll also be a big earner too. If Smith has signed then he can easily slot into that LW role. Competition for places isn’t a bad thing either. 

We'd snap your hand off for local lad Ethan Ross. Unfortunately we're a league too low now to make that happen I feel. The opportunity for FT football and being in his home city could be a draw. 

Rovers have so many options in the midfield areas. Interesting to see if all are retained or one/more released.