The New Raith Rovers Thread

The challenge cup pricing is farcical. 

I would guess that the Pars game being on free to air tv, on a dark winter night, with the expense of Xmas looming, would mean that reducing the price by a decent whack, wouldn't bring in enough extra punters to make any more money.

The TV deals for the early rounds of the cup, the Championship, and the diddy cup, are all shockingly poor for the clubs. 

1 hour ago, Always next quarter said:

There is a theme of understandably trying to get every penny for club investment. However opps like the Challenge cup and derby 4 of 6 on TV have me a bit ill at ease with the balance tipping towards screwing every penny that can be got from fans. 

The challenge cup especially is just silly and will surely bite the crowd size £16 and £6 under 18s for Falkirk v United is the tipping point. Maybe I'm just annoyed at not being able to afford to attend. 

Swithering over the Pars game, would probably push the £20 but the TV game makes it hugely tempting to just go to the Novar. 

Remember the rules on ticket prices for cup games are generally, until the quarters, the minimum price is fixed and the decided price is agreed between the clubs…and if an agreement isn’t reached, it gets priced the same as a home league match for the host team. It sounds to me that the Accies likely wanted that higher price…but I’d be happy to hear the real story if anyone knows it.

15 hours ago, Always next quarter said:

There is a theme of understandably trying to get every penny for club investment. However opps like the Challenge cup and derby 4 of 6 on TV have me a bit ill at ease with the balance tipping towards screwing every penny that can be got from fans. 

The challenge cup especially is just silly and will surely bite the crowd size £16 and £6 under 18s for Falkirk v United is the tipping point. Maybe I'm just annoyed at not being able to afford to attend. 

Swithering over the Pars game, would probably push the £20 but the TV game makes it hugely tempting to just go to the Novar. 

Will you not spend more than 20 quid in the Novar watching the game? Then another 20 quid on top celebrating victory?

1 hour ago, Curva Nord said:

Will you not spend more than 20 quid in the Novar watching the game? Then another 20 quid on top celebrating victory?

Yes but you will have had 4-5 pints down your neck, half of your £20 wouldn’t have gone into the PARS coffers and you won’t have frozen your balls off at the game. 😉

Interesting to read TX description of price setting, didn't know that. 

Yeah £20 is more a missed opp in the cup tie, I note I might go but a bit cheaper and I would have taken my auld man and maybe 1 of the kids. I'm pretty committed to attending games but many are going to be happier in front of the telly. Pricing could have been more tempting. Just easier to walk down to Novar, home 20 mins after the match and catch up with pals who don't go to the game.

As noted my biggest gripe is the challenge cup game which is nonsense but TX may have solved that puzzle. 

Some offer from Hamilton post cup games reducing costs at Christmas. Tough one for us to match unless we get a plum cup tie (if successful V Pars) 

13 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

Interesting to read TX description of price setting, didn't know that. 

Yeah £20 is more a missed opp in the cup tie, I note I might go but a bit cheaper and I would have taken my auld man and maybe 1 of the kids. I'm pretty committed to attending games but many are going to be happier in front of the telly. Pricing could have been more tempting. Just easier to walk down to Novar, home 20 mins after the match and catch up with pals who don't go to the game.

As noted my biggest gripe is the challenge cup game which is nonsense but TX may have solved that puzzle. 

Some offer from Hamilton post cup games reducing costs at Christmas. Tough one for us to match unless we get a plum cup tie (if successful V Pars) 

Made me look it up, and the Challenge Cup has no required price for any round beyond the minimum…here’s what I can find:

IMG_0662.thumb.jpeg.77ee83fb640ae2426cad1ee88da072fa.jpeg

Having seen us lose both a final and semi final of this competition to Hamilton, I have no appetite to see us lose a quarter final too.

Pricing is agreed between both team and revenues split - perhaps the £20 is being used to offset our lack of home gates this month 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Beastie Russell

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Considering how many Raiths fans thought £24 was a fair price in the run up to the last Derby at Starks I'm surprised that so many are complaining about £20. 

To be fair, its likely just as much apathy that we're watching the same teams play each other again, a total of 6 times this season. 

Edit: Unless you meant the Hamilton game and thats just grudging paying £20 to go to Hamilton on a Friday night. 

Edited by CountryBumpkin

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Considering how many Raiths fans thought £24 was a fair price in the run up to the last Derby at Starks I'm surprised that so many are complaining about £20. 

I'm an advocate of having categorised games where you charge more where bigger crowds are anticipated. Given that two of our biggest home gates in the last decade were in the game mentioned above and the Dundee Utd game would suggest that the decision to increase the price for these games was a good move by the board.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the pricing categories being £22 and £24 however having a season ticket doesn't expose me to this.

Charging £20 for the fourth game of six this season between the teams, a game which is

1. on a Friday night,
  2. on the telly for free
  3. Not on Season book
  4. In the Christmas shopping period

I don't think is a good move and I would be stunned if the resultant crowd doesn't reflect that.

47 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

To be fair, its likely just as much apathy that we're watching the same teams play each other again, a total of 6 times this season. 

Edit: Unless you meant the Hamilton game and thats just grudging paying £20 to go to Hamilton on a Friday night. 

Oh can fully understand the Hamilton grumbles. 

26 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I'm an advocate of having categorised games where you charge more where bigger crowds are anticipated. Given that two of our biggest home gates in the last decade were in the game mentioned above and the Dundee Utd game would suggest that the decision to increase the price for these games was a good move by the board.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the pricing categories being £22 and £24 however having a season ticket doesn't expose me to this.

Charging £20 for the fourth game of six this season between the teams, a game which is

1. on a Friday night,
  2. on the telly for free
  3. Not on Season book
  4. In the Christmas shopping period

I don't think is a good move and I would be stunned if the resultant crowd doesn't reflect that.

So if the last Derby at Starks gets moved for TV, so it's on a Friday night, which will be on the telly for free, and won't be on the season book you'll fully understand the away fans grumbling at the £24?

Just so I can get in there early, I do like a moan, thank you. 

33 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

So if the last Derby at Starks gets moved for TV, so it's on a Friday night, which will be on the telly for free, and won't be on the season book you'll fully understand the away fans grumbling at the £24?

I think the prices are too high, but I agree that charging more for higher demand games is perfectly acceptable for clubs to do as they see fit. 

No point grumbling about it, vote with your feet. That's what I'm doing this Friday and next... Its also what our fans did at the last derby and the DU game before that. Two of the biggest home crowds in a decade....

36 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

The Hamilton grumbles are based upon a non-League match price that seems a wee bit steep. I still am not sold on the idea that Raith “agreed” to the £20 pricing, and would like to hear about that, as everything I can find suggests the £20 being charged is the Accies standard home price…and while our Village Idiots (and that’s certainly a term of affection now) certainly could have agreed to it, have been savvier than that so far.

On the £24 pricing, while it’s high, I personally think it’s not terribly out of line (£22 is pretty nearly the default across the League). I do think the tiered pricing of tickets (for the same seat at different games in the same competition) is a cancer on sports in general. It’s now been a while since this monster poked its head out of the earth, and wasn’t slain, and it now threatens to consume sport is teams scramble for more revenue. 

Tiered pricing may have a place in sports with higher number of games per season, where the prices are dropped early in the season and then later when the team isn’t doing as well…and it certainly works with sports where revenues from ticket sales are a smaller proportion of game revenues, but that’s not fitba.

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Or the home fans who dont have a seaon

6 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

I think the prices are too high, but I agree that charging more for higher demand games is perfectly acceptable for clubs to do as they see fit. 

No point grumbling about it, vote with your feet. That's what I'm doing this Friday and next... Its also what our fans did at the last derby and the DU game before that. Two of the biggest home crowds in a decade....

Can't say I agree with that first part at all, football clubs are aware of the emotional attachment fans have, and it often seems to be the case that they'll overcharge for a product knowing fine well fans will stump up out of loyalty/idiocoy. The league cup final for example will sell out, but the ticket prices are a Sham. 

Grumbling about it got the Dundee Utd prices lowered, and while the attendance was high for the Fife Derby, it could, and should have been higher. 

16 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Think the issue it not the price as such but since the end of October we now have a run of 7 away games out of 9 which does hit your wallet so most fans will pick and choose which games to attend 

8 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Can't say I agree with that first part at all, football clubs are aware of the emotional attachment fans have, and it often seems to be the case that they'll overcharge for a product knowing fine well fans will stump up out of loyalty/idiocoy. The league cup final for example will sell out, but the ticket prices are a Sham. 

Grumbling about it got the Dundee Utd prices lowered, and while the attendance was high for the Fife Derby, it could, and should have been higher. 

I don't think the prices would have changed the gate much at all for the derby, Dunfermline already brought a bigger support than anticipated - a few quid wouldn't have fundamentally changed that.  Only thing that would have, would have been if Dunfermline were higher up the table.

I do think it's getting pretty damn expensive to pay at the gate these days, and I'm personally not a fan of tiered pricing (whilst I totally get the commercials behind it) but it's the product on the pitch that matters and will determine the crowd.  The Dundee Utd game was the most expensive game to pay at the gate that I can remember at Starks Park, but the highest gate for years.

Edited by CALDERON

9 hours ago, HoBNob said:

What part do you disagree with?

Do you think all games should be the same price? 

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

What part do you disagree with?

Do you think all games should be the same price? 

I think games should be kept as affordable as possible, putting up prices for the bigger games only puts more pressure on the finances of the fans. 

It's not a dig at Raith specifically, Dunfermline have done it in the past and if we ever get promoted I'd imagine we'll do it in the future to the Edinburgh and Old Firm games, I just think it's shite patter.