The New Raith Rovers Thread

If Watson is out for another 4-6 weeks the Positive is Corr is back so that’s another Natural CH back in the frame and still has experience next to him in Murray and Millen.

but we have to go into the market in January for a CH or a Versatile defender even if it’s a loan and Brown goes back into midfield 

I'd be happy if we could go out and get a lb who is an upgrade on dick in January. I think he could potentially be a better cb than he is a lb and it would actually give us more options in defence than just asking mcgill to play here there and everywhere, while allowing brown a break from having to fill in at cb constantly. I don't know the story with strapp who was at morton last season but he'd fit the bill if he's still without a club and is over the injury he had. 

51 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

but we have to go into the market in January for a CH or a Versatile defender even if it’s a loan and Brown goes back into midfield 

Not sure we will. We have Masson, Watson, Murray, Corr plus Brown and Dick to cover CH.

15 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I'd be happy if we could go out and get a lb who is an upgrade on dick in January. I think he could potentially be a better cb than he is a lb and it would actually give us more options in defence than just asking mcgill to play here there and everywhere, while allowing brown a break from having to fill in at cb constantly. I don't know the story with strapp who was at morton last season but he'd fit the bill if he's still without a club and is over the injury he had. 

That’s the winner, except we have McGill who does pretty decent when we need Dick inside (waiting for the gif) and Hannah looks spot capable.

I just suspect we’re about full on where we want to spend money on this squad. I can’t see a splash signing, but we do only have Murray and Hannah signed beyond June…so assuming Hannah was signed for two years on a development timetable, if we do move Dick to CH (a good choice, IMO) we would need a LB at least next year (without even contemplating the makeover needed if we got promoted).

January brings an opportunity to manage ins and outs in the squad. We get Ethan Ross back, do we offload him to save the wages and bring in someone else, or do we navigate the loan market? A younger guy on loan to get some minutes would be fine as a backup to what we have. 

Corr should be fine now that the foot injury was identified and finally fixed, but it still leaves him, Masson and Murray as the only available centre halves right now. Hannah is probably too raw and inexperienced to play 90 each week right now which reduces the ability of Dick to slip inside one (that's for you Tx)

17 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

January brings an opportunity to manage ins and outs in the squad. We get Ethan Ross back, do we offload him to save the wages and bring in someone else, or do we navigate the loan market? A younger guy on loan to get some minutes would be fine as a backup to what we have. 

Corr should be fine now that the foot injury was identified and finally fixed, but it still leaves him, Masson and Murray as the only available centre halves right now. Hannah is probably too raw and inexperienced to play 90 each week right now which reduces the ability of Dick to slip inside one (that's for you Tx)

….or if we have the finances to see if we can get Byrne from Dundee on a permanent contract, also entice Stanton to re-sign on a longer deal, he is pivitol to our forward play. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Not sure we will. We have Masson, Watson, Murray, Corr plus Brown and Dick to cover CH.

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

Let’s be real IM hasn’t got trust in Masson or he’d be playing a lot more and it says a lot that a midfielder is starting in CB a head of him, Watson has past injury issues and at his age will take longer to get back….

Corr good the lad has potential, Murray has been great since coming back and we don’t need Brown to cover we need a proper CH/Defender the only one that can “cover” is Dick but then who goes in at LB who’s a natural defender full back? 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

7 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

….or if we have the finances to see if we can get Byrne from Dundee on a permanent contract, also entice Stanton to re-sign on a longer deal, he is pivitol to our forward play. 

We could sign Byrne in January on a PCA and won’t have to pay a penny 

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Apart from his wages, which will be fairly significant.

He'd be back on loan anyway. He's chosen to be with us and turned down other clubs like Dunfermline, seems to be enjoying us. He's not going to go back to Dundee and play, so we're the best alternative option he'll have available. The PCA is pretty much just a gentleman's agreement and won't mean anything. I'd expect he will be permanently signing in the summer. He's been absolutely outstanding for us.

Just to add, Ethan Ross can only play for us or Falkirk. The likelihood will be that he goes back out on loan to them for the second half of the season. There's no chance we'll get a fee for him given Falkirk's current situation. 

36 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He'd be back on loan anyway. He's chosen to be with us and turned down other clubs like Dunfermline, seems to be enjoying us. He's not going to go back to Dundee and play, so we're the best alternative option he'll have available. The PCA is pretty much just a gentleman's agreement and won't mean anything. I'd expect he will be permanently signing in the summer. He's been absolutely outstanding for us.

Don't disagree with any of that. Just that players,(and clubs when it comes to loan or transfer agreements)  will be taking significant decisions based on money.  Signing someone regardless of fees always costs,  a PCA isn't free in any sense.

Edited by parsforlife

56 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That compilation from Friday night on Facebook pretty much sums him up for us so far. 

Let’s look at it this way, we know the vast majority of the squad is out of contract at year end. Do we try to sign a few now, with the answer of what league we will be playing in still up in the air, or do we try to strengthen to make a real push for promotion?

Signing a experienced CB would likely be a promotion push move.

Signing a versatile defender would be a consolidate for position (aka playoffs) move.

Signing Stanton could be any of several, as he’s one who could probably remain on a promoted side. Byrne, probably the same.

Signing any of our defenders…IDK, do any of Corr, Dick, Masson or Millen strike you are premiership starters or reserves? Corr and Masson we don’t have enough data, Dick would make reserve CB and perhaps LB, and Millen the same at RB…but would either be a starter?

No one has mentioned the possible January problem of teams trying to take players…Big Kev looks the business…Byrne hasn’t played for anyone but us, so someone could go to Dundee and offer for him an sneak him from under us…Stanton is heading out of contract, I’d be shocked if his agent hasn’t heard some things, etc. We’re playing well, which means people are looking for why…