The New Raith Rovers Thread

Whits wi the Linktown Derry - Fighting on arrival flag pish (end of the highlights), and the union rag that was snapped with the Ulster Defence Association nonsense flags?
WTF is happening with our support.  We attracting muppets that canny get tickets at Ipox?
f**k that I don't want our club associated with the Northern Ireland nonsense.  After all the good work getting our clubs name out of the gutter since THAT signing, this is the last thing we need.  Knuckledragging bigot scroats who want to turn Starks Park into mini Ibrox.  No wonder they blurred their faces.  Embarrassment to the club.

image.png.89111710a9018c39ef01999d2f0cbc08.png

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

6 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Whits wi the Linktown Derry - Fighting on arrival flag pish (end of the highlights), and the union rag that was snapped with the Ulster Defence Association nonsense flags?
WTF is happening with our support.  We attracting muppets that canny get tickets at Ipox?
f**k that I don't want our club associated with the Northern Ireland nonsense.  After all the good work getting our clubs name out of the gutter since THAT signing, this is the last thing we need.  Knuckledragging bigot scroats who want to turn Starks Park into mini Ibrox.  No wonder they blurred their faces.  Embarrassment to the club.

image.png.89111710a9018c39ef01999d2f0cbc08.png

I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of it in the slightest, but I'm not sure what the club can really do on it?

At the Airdrie game, it was clear there were discussions between the lad who put it up and the stewards. It's territory which is very hard to vet - you can't have Airdrie fans in the north stand with a regular union jack and kick out someone in our end who also has one.

Similarly, for the one on Saturday it's an away ground so it's Caley's remit. Ben is a young lad who filmed the inside match day and to all intents and purposes he's probably just thought it's a normal Rovers flag.

I totally disagree with the flags and the UDA stuff, but by the same token at least one of the lads in those photos is at every game going. It's quite easy to be paint them as being Rangers fans without a bus fair, but you're not trekking up to Inverness on a cold December afternoon when half of Fife has a layer of snow if you're a casual. 

I've absolutely zero doubt the club will have had emails about it. I'd rather not see it, but at the same time, there's very little which can be done.

The Linktown Derry flag with the Rovers badge on it is just....odd and I don't quite get it. The Union Jack flag I've kinda turned a blind eye to it. Up until this season I hadn't seen that at games however it's been to a number of games this season and the boy appears to travel home and away. He does however appear in the above photo with the guy that had the Linktown Derry flag on Friday. It's all just very weird. 

50 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of it in the slightest, but I'm not sure what the club can really do on it?

At the Airdrie game, it was clear there were discussions between the lad who put it up and the stewards. It's territory which is very hard to vet - you can't have Airdrie fans in the north stand with a regular union jack and kick out someone in our end who also has one.

Similarly, for the one on Saturday it's an away ground so it's Caley's remit. Ben is a young lad who filmed the inside match day and to all intents and purposes he's probably just thought it's a normal Rovers flag.

I totally disagree with the flags and the UDA stuff, but by the same token at least one of the lads in those photos is at every game going. It's quite easy to be paint them as being Rangers fans without a bus fair, but you're not trekking up to Inverness on a cold December afternoon when half of Fife has a layer of snow if you're a casual. 

I've absolutely zero doubt the club will have had emails about it. I'd rather not see it, but at the same time, there's very little which can be done.

Lots of sense there but that UJ flag has been associated with more negative stuff and the club should (if they can) try to keep it away. 

The easy issue at home games is to say it can't be placed on a walkway or place something else in its position. 

The new board don't strike me as daft so I'm sure they have sought advice. It's utter garbage to have anything of this nature near us. What annoys is the fact the folk with the flag know they are placing their views above the values of the club. What next the tricolour Rovers and a wee rammy in the concourse. 

I loathe the UJ being linked with Rovers but have to suck it up. This one has gone beyond and ties the club into discussion elsewhere as having a different value base to the one I see them creating. 

1 hour ago, Always next quarter said:

. What next the tricolour Rovers and a wee rammy in the concourse.  

Maybe.  O'Neill that signed is Irish.... (Don't get me wrong, and no disrespect to the player, but I certainly don't condone that one being in Starks either for being the other side of that sickening coin!).

The Polish flag is brought for big Kev....

Incidentally, there is precedent for flags being banned.  For whatever reason, and I am NOT getting into the politics of that one, the Palestinian flag seems to be banned at all UK grounds.  The UJ we probably have to put up with due to political circumstance, however it IS a contentious flag in Scotland, especially after 2014.   But with its being pictured and the clubs name being associated with an Irish terror group would suggest the club should be distancing itself from it. 

Also a flag stating the word Derry on it has obvious ties to the Northern Ireland issues, and is further contentious by the term 'always fighting'.  Are these the same muppets that caused issues with the Motherwell fans, and on a few occasions the Dunfermline fans?  Walking down the street with that flag alone can therefore invite the attentions of other club's bampots.

The club need to at least be discussing how they can sort this out as the obvious attempts at associating the clubs name with one side of the Irish troubles, and all the negative connotations that has are VERY apparent.   Do we have to wait till there is violence either caused or reacted to by these muppets, and innocent Rovers fans being injured before steps will be taken?

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

Don’t think I’ve ever been insulted or upset by a pattern on a sheet before.

Proples views sometimes upset me, but hey ho, I’m sure some of mine upset people too.

If there is an issue with the flag then what about voicing it to the owner/ carrier (think waver might be the word I’m looking for) or the club ?

Dont think you’re going to solve anything posting on a football forum 🤷‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Maybe.  O'Neill that signed is Irish.... (Don't get me wrong, and no disrespect to the player, but I certainly don't condone that one being in Starks either for being the other side of that sickening coin!).

Incidentally, there is precedent for flags being banned.  For whatever reason, and I am NOT getting into the politics of that one, the Palestinian flag seems to be banned at all UK grounds.  The UJ we probably have to put up with due to political circumstance, however it IS a contentious flag in Scotland, especially after 2014.   But with its being pictured and the clubs name being associated with an Irish terror group would suggest the club should be distancing itself from it. 

Also a flag stating the word Derry on it has obvious ties to the Northern Ireland issues, and is further contentious by the term 'always fighting'.  Are these the same muppets that caused issues with the Motherwell fans, and on a few occasions the Dunfermline fans?  Walking down the street with that flag alone can therefore invite the attentions of other club's bampots.

The club need to at least be discussing how they can sort this out as the obvious attempts at associating the clubs name with one side of the Irish troubles, and all the negative connotations that has are VERY apparent.   Do we have to wait till there is violence either caused or reacted to by these muppets, and innocent Rovers fans being injured before steps will be taken?

The biggest problem is once one thing gets banned or prohibited:

1) That thing becomes a rallying point for those who wish to feel aggrieved.

2) It’s that much easier to ban something else.

On 04/12/2023 at 09:28, kdyteejay said:

From today’s Daily Record 

SPFL Premiership could BAN plastic pitches next season as Neil Doncaster talks could lead to 'grass only' vote
Kilmarnock are set to return to grass ahead of the 2024/25 season but Livingston boss says ditching plastic is too expensive.

Plastic pitches could be banned in the Premiership before next season starts.

Record Sport understands SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster has headed talks around outlawing all synthetic surfaces from the top flight, with further discussions scheduled with clubs in the New Year. And that could lead to a vote to go ‘grass only’ before the end of the campaign, with clubs granted a period of grace to get necessary renovation work done.

Kilmarnock chairman Billy Bowie has already announced plans to rip up the astro turf at Rugby Park in 2026 – and it’s expected all clubs currently using 3G surfaces will be given a similar timescale to switch. Livingston are the only other top 12 side to play on an all-weather pitch but had to postpone a home clash with Ross County on Saturday when sections of it were frozen solid

Boss David Martindale insists the club would be willing to follow Killie’s lead – as long as the SPFL are prepared to bankroll them with a hefty cheque. He said: “I’d rather have a grass park and if the authorities want to give us a couple of million then we’ll have one with undersoil heating and a separate training ground.

“Realistically, it’d cost us between £2m-£3m.We’re paying for VAR and energy costs have increased. Overall, we’re handing out £300,000-400,000 extra and our incoming revenue doesn’t match that. It’ll be five or 10 years before we can be where Kilmarnock are now.

“We’re the only team in the Premiership that doesn’t own their stadium – the only licence we own is the one from the SFA – and since returning to the Premiership in 2018 we’ve spent £600,000 upgrading the ground.”

Livi also splashed out to in a bid to have Saturday’s game played, using covers the SPFL compelled them to buy and spreading 200 kilos of salt.

This seems to have went under the radar a touch. I think it seems like a disaster for us if the Premiership is our ambition soon (which it is and should be). 

The pitch is crucial to our 'community club' model, connecting hundreds of families and young kids to the club in the most clear and powerful fashion: getting them coming down to the stadium regularly and having the (amazing!)  experience of being on the pitch in a real stadium. It also make Starks the hub for the Rovers, from first team training to all the community activities.

In addition, not only would we need to now train elsewhere (back to the Michael Woods?) with all the costs that would bring, we would have the expensive reintroduction and upkeep of a grass park - and it will be shite for a majority of months (because its Scotland and we won't throw daft money at it!) making the football  worse and bringing postponements more often. 

Ideally there would be a rule about 'elite' non-grass parks being allowed. But I doubt that as the big clubs in the top flight want grass in all games, and do not care if it will impact our entire model.  

Perhaps I am over reacting here but to me this is big, big problem for the medium/long term strategy and seems like a fucker for the (vital) strategies we have of connecting with the town and growing the support back up again. 

5 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Incidentally, there is precedent for flags being banned.  For whatever reason, and I am NOT getting into the politics of that one, the Palestinian flag seems to be banned at all UK grounds.  The UJ we probably have to put up with due to unfortunate political circumstance therefore it IS a contentious flag in Scotland, especially after 2014.   However with its being pictured and the clubs name being associated with an Irish terror group would suggest the club should be distancing itself from it. 

The club need to at least be discussing how they can sort this out as the obvious attempts at associating the clubs name with one side of the Irish troubles, and all the negative connotations that has are VERY apparent.   Do we have to wait till their is violence either caused or reacted to by these muppets, and innocent Rovers fans being injured before steps will be taken?

You're a bit late to the party with all this. The picture you posted is from the Cliftonville game and the UJ flag has been at most game this season with no troubles.  

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

The Linktown Derry flag with the Rovers badge on it is just....odd and I don't quite get it. The Union Jack flag I've kinda turned a blind eye to it. Up until this season I hadn't seen that at games however it's been to a number of games this season and the boy appears to travel home and away. He does however appear in the above photo with the guy that had the Linktown Derry flag on Friday. It's all just very weird. 

The ‘Linktown Derry’ is a flag very much from the past. back in the 70’s /80’s this was the name given to the local links street gang that ran about the area acting the tough nuts. They are from the days of supporters changing ends at half time and all you seen was the stoor blowing out of the railway shelter as they passed each other with arms and legs swinging at each other as they passed. Think the flag owner may have been one of the originals with a ‘reminiscent’ flag. I’m sure it relates to that rather than anything more sinister. 

Edited by spot on

16 minutes ago, spot on said:

The ‘Linktown Derry’ is a flag very much from the past. back in the 70’s /80’s this was the name given to the local links street gang that ran about the area acting the tough nuts. They are from the days of supporters changing ends at half time and all you seen was the stoor blowing out of the railway shelter as they passed each other with arms and legs swinging at each other as they passed. Think the flag owner may have been on of the originals with a ‘reminiscent’ flag. I’m sure it relates to that rather than anything more sinister. 

Spot on, Spot On.

In the days when "Hello, hello we are the Rovers boys" was regularly sung, the last was "For we are the Linktown Derry Boys".

Edited by Specky Ginger

20 minutes ago, spot on said:

The ‘Linktown Derry’ is a flag very much from the past. back in the 70’s /80’s this was the name given to the local links street gang that ran about the area acting the tough nuts. They are from the days of supporters changing ends at half time and all you seen was the stoor blowing out of the railway shelter as they passed each other with arms and legs swinging at each other as they passed. Think the flag owner may have been on of the originals with a ‘reminiscent’ flag. I’m sure it relates to that rather than anything more sinister. 

Never knew that. Wonder why the boy holding the flag in the recent Inside Matchday video is the same boy holding a UDA flag in the picture a few posts up 🤔

1 hour ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

This seems to have went under the radar a touch. I think it seems like a disaster for us if the Premiership is our ambition soon (which it is and should be). 

The pitch is crucial to our 'community club' model, connecting hundreds of families and young kids to the club in the most clear and powerful fashion: getting them coming down to the stadium regularly and having the (amazing!)  experience of being on the pitch in a real stadium. It also make Starks the hub for the Rovers, from first team training to all the community activities.

In addition, not only would we need to now train elsewhere (back to the Michael Woods?) with all the costs that would bring, we would have the expensive reintroduction and upkeep of a grass park - and it will be shite for a majority of months (because its Scotland and we won't throw daft money at it!) making the football  worse and bringing postponements more often. 

Ideally there would be a rule about 'elite' non-grass parks being allowed. But I doubt that as the big clubs in the top flight want grass in all games, and do not care if it will impact our entire model.  

Perhaps I am over reacting here but to me this is big, big problem for the medium/long term strategy and seems like a fucker for the (vital) strategies we have of connecting with the town and growing the support back up again. 

This is fair. I'd like to think that common sense will prevail and elite pitches will be allowed. Its similar to the 10,000 seat nonsense in the 90s in that it'll damage the financial security of a club. 

Saying that, if all grass pitches are mandated, then fines for teams whose games are being called off solely due to the grass pitch being unplayable should be serious, like £150k per game postponed. If they insist on having grass pitches in winter months in Scotland, the ramifications of those decisions should be enforced on them.

I'd like to think the club can identify some land to obtain and get the artificial pitch laid there for training and community usage if possible.

3 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I'd like to think the club can identify some land to obtain and get the artificial pitch laid there for training and community usage if possible.

They can always come to an agreement with Kirkcaldy and Dysart and put it in at Denfield.

33 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Never knew that. Wonder why the boy holding the flag in the recent Inside Matchday video is the same boy holding a UDA flag in the picture a few posts up 🤔

It is, and there's been bits doing the round where he's got photos on social media of him over in Northern Ireland and with staunch paraphernalia.

Again, there's very little the club can do. You can almost guarantee there's been plenty of emails to Barrowman about it. They've likely looked at and there's very little they can actually do. 

In all honesty, I was more surprised there wasn't a "what the fucking hell is that?" chant when it came out at the Airdrie game.For me, I think the UDL stuff is absolute nonsense, and if you're trying to relate it to our club then you're trying to create a link which isn't there.

Each to their own, but I would say that theres definitely folk in that photo who have been to far more Rovers games than me in recent years. 

1 hour ago, spot on said:

Think the flag owner may have been one of the originals with a ‘reminiscent’ flag. I’m sure it relates to that rather than anything more sinister. 

35 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It is, and there's been bits doing the round where he's got photos on social media of him over in Northern Ireland and with staunch paraphernalia.

Of all the flags this boy could think of getting made up to take to the football in 2023 it's a flag with Derry - "aye but, that was oor gangs name in the 70s and 80s eh" - written on it whilst posing with UDL flags during a game against Cliftonville. Boy sounds like an absolute rocket, 'Rovers fan' or not.

16 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

O'Reilly's made a decent start.

Data Sheet v ICT.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing Murray and O'Reilly at the back together. Two no-nonsense defenders who'll throw themselves into everything. Will be a throwback to the days of Marv and Sparky.