The New Raith Rovers Thread

On the topic of David McGurn, I got asked to write a wee bit on him the other day. If anyone has any particular memories of performances/saves that stick out from him then feel free to give me a shout. Cheers.

1.15 This one sticks in my mind. Phenomenal save.

On the topic of David McGurn, I got asked to write a wee bit on him the other day. If anyone has any particular memories of performances/saves that stick out from him then feel free to give me a shout. Cheers.

The problem is that his shot stopping is so outstanding that pretty good saves become common place.

Aye, I particularly liked one. He should be made the patron saint of lost causes or something, since he's constantly keeping out a shot at the last possible fraction of a second, when all hope seems lost.

He's unquestionably the best Raith goalie I've seen in my lifetime, with clear daylight between him and whoever is second. I remember Hamish McAlpine fondly, but mostly because he had a fantastic moustache, and due to the winner he scored against Kilmarnock (oh to have footage of that.)

Obviously Scott Thomson is up there, and while he was consistently good, and was a brick wall against Akranes in the away leg, unlike McGurn, he wasn't consistently great.

That time McGlynn dropped him for McNeil must have caused more head scratching than an outbreak of nits.

Aye, I particularly liked one. He should be made the patron saint of lost causes or something, since he's constantly keeping out a shot at the last possible fraction of a second, when all hope seems lost.

He's unquestionably the best Raith goalie I've seen in my lifetime, with clear daylight between him and whoever is second. I remember Hamish McAlpine fondly, but mostly because he had a fantastic moustache, and due to the winner he scored against Kilmarnock (oh to have footage of that.)

Obviously Scott Thomson is up there, and while he was consistently good, and was a brick wall against Akranes in the away leg, unlike McGurn, he wasn't consistently great.

That time McGlynn dropped him for McNeil must have caused more head scratching than an outbreak of nits.

A few weeks back against Dumbarton when he got back in time to scoop the ball off the line. It's not up with his best saves ever, but it was the reaction of the Dumbarton forward, going up to McGurn and giving him a wee shove, that indignant frustration of the striker, that's what really sums up dve McGurn's performances.

Although we call him the Witch im sure opposition players have more colourful names for him

Glad to see he wont be out as long as feared. Gives Laidlaw a deserved run in the team and hopefully means Dave will be match fit and back on form by the final

Dan, do you know if its possible to get the footage of the McGurn treble save in the game where Simmons scored in the 90th minute against Ayr? Best saves I've ever seen, I doubt we'll ever see anything that good again.

Agreed tho the triple save against Ayr was outstanding, shame the montage that was on the old site isn't avialable there was some crackers on there

I'm sure the guy who took the middle one of those three shots is still along at Stark's celebrating his goal as we speak.

I'm sure the guy who took the middle one of those three shots is still along at Stark's celebrating his goal as we speak.

Bowie wasn't it? He was wheeling away hands in the air, even as McGurn got to it.

I remember someone posted the Ayr clip on a thread on here along the lines of 'best saves ever' alongside saves by the very best of goalkeepers and it was talked about as one of, if not the best, posted. Says it all really. McGurn is ridiculous.

His arm to a bullet strike against the Pars (can't remember the game, or the score) was spectacular too. A hundred mile an hour shot that should've snapped his wrist in two. Batted away like it wasn't even there, while the Pars fans celebrated their goal.

Edited by Paco