The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, SanStarko said:

Haven't even scored against you.  We've scored in every single game we've played this season, except when we've played Airdrie.  And really, other than the first game where Stanton hit the post we haven't ever looked like scoring against them.

We scored at starks against them and drew 1-1, not that it’s anything to shout about

Just now, Been going too long said:

We scored at starks against them and drew 1-1, not that it’s anything to shout about

Yeah, had it in my mind that finished 0-0.  Clearly that game made some impression on me.

Where to begin really Kev was solid looked back to his best easily rovers M O T M. The defence Millen was his usual self, Watson brought back something of an old fashioned centre half presence to the team,  Murray really not at the races at all, Dick seemed panicked couldn't even pass it forward. Oh and has a unit they are slower than a week in the jail. 

That said they had to push forward due to the absolute crater in the middle of the park where the midfield was meant to be which mea t all Airdrie had to do was knock it forward and off they went again. 

Seemed absolutly no strategy or shape in the midfield forward and we reverted to launching high balls into the box which Hamton in fairness won his fair share but there was nothing there for the knock down. 

It was the sort of game that once we got to the second half it needed someone to take the ball forward and start to mix it up, at the minute the only option is Ross Matthews or perhaps McGill who really haven't seen anything off. 

2 weeks to sort this absolute mess out. The fact is we need to get reorganised from back to front and a few people can do with a prolonged period on the bench. Last night was pretty fair to say close to our strongest 11 and it was a shambles. 

22 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Can he not support your lot or east fife , please take him 😂😂

There's a plethora of decent Raith posters on here, absolutely tons of them. 

It's only fair you have him, balance eh? 

8ekd80.jpg.5fb59720f69c886687a83a87c9ee2438.jpg

The defending was woeful. The space left at the goal was criminal. In the second half even simple route 1 balls from Airdrie were causing havoc. 

One minor positive is the back 4 all playing the full 90. At Firhill on the opening day the defence looked like they had met for the first time (Murray had just signed) and we kicked on from that... so maybe we can improve from here. 

Midfield/going forward we have no idea at the moment. All first half Easton kept having to drop deep. Get the ball. Watch Dick overlap. Decide he didnt fancy that option. Step inside. Square it to Brown. I'm not singling Easton out for blame but this slowed things right down and killed any momentum.

Turner and Smith offered little. I cant blame Smith he's been asked to play all over the place. The team that finished last night at least created a few half chances but Airdrie defended everything so well so we were mainly restricted to Connolly shots from 20 yards out.

Hamilton gets pass marks last night.

Got to get a result asap and build some confidence. For me v Utd it's got to be 4 at the back and a packed midfield at the expense of playing a load of low on confidence attacking players out of position.

Atmosphere wise... fair play to the singing section it started off well but what was happening on the pitch was never going to help. Airdrie were LOUD. 

Edited by Halbeath Raith Rover

Apparently the Estuary was attacked by Airdrie fans before the game last night. Windows put in and damage inside.

The Rovers boys had left by that time and it was only the dozen regulars and the wee Yorkshire terrier dug that were in.

It was all shut up, although the lights were still on inside, when I walked past about 10.15 last night.

I don't really know how we fix things after that. A combination of too many players out of form and some woeful inadequacies in the overall performance. I am not hugely fussed about the Challenge Cup, but that's now 5 defeats in a row. It's worrying. 

Airdrie have well and truly sussed us out this season. You can see that given the 3 games we haven't managed to score in this season are all against them. But we lost an absolutely ridiculous early goal and that was it - we had absolutely nothing to throw back at them. We did not give them a difficult time at all last night and barely threatened to cost them their lead. 

The defending at the goal was shocking. Where the hell were Murray and Dick? Easton was briefly marking Todorov and then ran away from him. You can't just give an opposition striker and almost unlimited amount of time and space in the box like that. Even in the second half, we were all over the place if Airdrie got passed the first challenge in midfield. Is Euan Murray injured, or just badly out of form? He looked like he was being forced to run through porridge last night. Just so slow and weak.  

And then into midfield...really not sure where to start here. A lot of attacking players, very little in the way of form currently. Just not there and devoid of structure also. We look like a team that's been chopped and changed too much and no-one knows what they are supposed to be doing. There is some truth in there, in all honesty.  Can Stanton bring some structure all back by himself? I don't think so. But my word we miss him in there. 

We need to try to get some solidity in the side.

A flat back four (although three are in poor form at the minute and one has just returned from injury), Two from three of Matthews, Brown and Byrne sitting, Stanton and Vaughan playing just behind Hamilton and one of Easton, Smith or Mullin.

There's a decent case for including McGill in either of the full back spots on current form.

McGill is not the answer at full back sadly, it's an area that was really neglected recruitment wise. Ot perhaps Stevenson fell through very last minute but we have no options which might explain the 3 at the back. 

49 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The defending at the goal was shocking. Where the hell were Murray and Dick? Easton was briefly marking Todorov and then ran away from him. You can't just give an opposition striker and almost unlimited amount of time and space in the box like that. 

It wasn’t even like Airdrie caught us with a quick counter where you could maybe give a bit of leeway for the defence being all over the place.   As Airdrie come forward Dick is in the middle of our box, as the Airdrie boy realises he can just run to the byline as he’s up against Murray who has zero pace.  Then Dick follows the Airdrie boy who was unmarked which is fair enough.  But then he just paid no attention to what was going on around him.  Easton sprints back but is so concentrated on the ball I don’t even think he notices Todorov run past him.

The pic below, that’s our left back and right back standing next to each other without a care in the world as Todorov is just chilling completely unmarked.

To have four experienced defenders playing and f**k up like that is crazy.

IMG_0275.jpeg

Edited by SanStarko

1 minute ago, SanStarko said:

It wasn’t even like Airdrie caught us with a quick counter where you could maybe give a bit of leeway for the defence being all over the place.   As Airdrie come forward Dick is in the middle of our box, as the Airdrie boy realises he can just run to the byline as he’s up against Murray who has zero pace.  Then Dick follows the Airdrie boy who was unmarked which is fair enough.  But then he just paid no attention to what was going on around him.  Easton sprints back but is so concentrated on the ball I don’t even think he notices Todarov run past him.

The pic below, that’s our left back and right back standing next to each other without a care in the world as Todorov is just chilling completely unmarked.

To have four experienced defenders playing and f**k up like that is crazy.

IMG_0275.jpeg

Too many ball watching, too many poor, weak challenges. Just get rid of the ball, if it means clearing out a team mate, do it. 

45 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't really know how we fix things after that. A combination of too many players out of form and some woeful inadequacies in the overall performance. I am not hugely fussed about the Challenge Cup, but that's now 5 defeats in a row. It's worrying. 

Airdrie have well and truly sussed us out this season. You can see that given the 3 games we haven't managed to score in this season are all against them. But we lost an absolutely ridiculous early goal and that was it - we had absolutely nothing to throw back at them. We did not give them a difficult time at all last night and barely threatened to cost them their lead. 

The defending at the goal was shocking. Where the hell were Murray and Dick? Easton was briefly marking Todorov and then ran away from him. You can't just give an opposition striker and almost unlimited amount of time and space in the box like that. Even in the second half, we were all over the place if Airdrie got passed the first challenge in midfield. Is Euan Murray injured, or just badly out of form? He looked like he was being forced to run through porridge last night. Just so slow and weak.  

And then into midfield...really not sure where to start here. A lot of attacking players, very little in the way of form currently. Just not there and devoid of structure also. We look like a team that's been chopped and changed too much and no-one knows what they are supposed to be doing. There is some truth in there, in all honesty.  Can Stanton bring some structure all back by himself? I don't think so. But my word we miss him in there. 

Where the hell was Murray and Dick. Dick was to busy challenging Millen in the air for the ball, basically getting in each others way resulting in the ball not making it out of our box and no one thought it necessary to pick up an unmarked striker. Defence needs a shake up.

As has been said we are too light in the middle of the park and to lightweight across the midfield as Murray wants to play Easton who won't get stuck in neither will Vaughan or Connolly. Too many similar players on the park at the same time. 

Just now, raith1974 said:

Where the hell was Murray and Dick. Dick was to busy challenging Millen in the air for the ball, basically getting in each others way resulting in the ball not making it out of our box and no one thought it necessary to pick up an unmarked striker. Defence needs a shake up.

We’ve been saying this since the first of January and nothing done about it, and I’m no wanting to hear the pish nothing available, how come most teams in the league have managed to sign defenders and we’ve not? If you look outside of just the domestic market there’s options there 

Would like to see Corr and Watson as our central two for the rest of the season. Could be a mix of youth and game intelligence that might work.  Dick is not good enough. We can all see that and probably so can the manager, but other than putting McGill in he has no alternative. Millen also weak so unless we get new bodies in we probably need changes further up the field to protect the fragile defence. 

24 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Would like to see Corr and Watson as our central two for the rest of the season. Could be a mix of youth and game intelligence that might work.  Dick is not good enough. We can all see that and probably so can the manager, but other than putting McGill in he has no alternative. Millen also weak so unless we get new bodies in we probably need changes further up the field to protect the fragile defence. 

If we can get 2 full backs on loan that actually know where to be, that can defend, stop crosses and get forward rather than stopping about 5 yards up the park and cut back inside then I think it’ll make a world of difference