The New Raith Rovers Thread

An incredibly tough watch today, for various reasons. The conditions again played a part and Partick were stubborn and defended well when they had to. Great save from Mitchell to deny Rudden in what was probably our only real clear chance of the game. For all of our good work in getting forward we just don't create a lot of chances for our forwards right now.

However the biggest factor in it being a tough afternoon was both teams absolute inability to control a football at times. Many occasions in the first half someone controlled the ball out of touch. Rudden, Dick, Stanton and Mullin all guilty of it for us and Whoever was on the Partick right just watched as the ball skipped infront of him without even attempting to stop it. One of those days for them I think.

Dabrowski looks so scared of the ball into his feet, you can see when its passed back to him that he's really unsure of what to do, very uncomfortable for him. I hope over the summer he, McNeil and Thomson spend a good bit of time practicing this to get more at ease with it. Its part of the game for modern goalkeepers. Kev needs to work on it.

Positives, Vaughan looked up for it, made it a different game when he came on. Hamilton linking up with Vaughan was good to see and Brown in midfield was a great addition. Would be good to see him and Matthews paired up.

As for the season, while we've faltered in the last few games and played our part in Dundee United pretty much guaranteeing the title is theirs, to be where we are after the mediocrity last season is a huge achievement. No matter what happens in the play-offs, its been a great season in all. Bodes well for next if we can strengthen and learn from the mistakes.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm sure we'll follow the trajectory Ayr have this season if we stick with Murray. All the signs are there. 

Are Raith a completely one man team who are about to have a dreadful summer where they miss out on all their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice targets? 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Ever think maybe you're the one who doesn't know what they are talking about? 

I'm pretty confident a 0-0 draw to secure us 2nd place under the "village idiots" isn't too bad. You being a complete attention seeker doesn't really change that fact.

1 hour ago, Youngmcnaughtleigh said:

I mean look at yourself grammar and spelling atrocious 

Your response was the joke?

1 hour ago, philpy said:

If this is how people are reacting to us finishing second, I'm glad we didn't finishing 5th or 6th....

It’s a weird one because if you’d told us as a fanbase at the beginning of the season that we’d finish second without any further context, you’d better believe we’d have bitten your hand off for it. But knowing where we’ve been at times this season and not capitalised on it, it’s totally understandable that folk are going to be disappointed or even annoyed because if we had, we’d have a chance to be decently clear at the top of the table. 

So aye, after last season’s abject disappointment, finishing second is of course a hell of an achievement. But you can’t blame folk for wondering what could have been if only we’d been able to beat Airdrie at least once…

2 hours ago, philpy said:

If this is how people are reacting to us finishing second, I'm glad we didn't finishing 5th or 6th....

Second place is decent but it doesn’t guarantee you anything. First place guarantees you promotion and we seem to have chucked that away, and a bit easily too. I think losing at Tannadice affected our mindset. 

Yesterday it felt that even the team realised the title was gone. That’s happened in the space of a week by taking 4 points from 3 home games, with the Airdrie game being the biggest blow.

Now we need to beat one of these two teams who we’ve failed to beat this week, over two legs, one of which we haven’t beaten all season.

We’ve had seven previous attempts at the play-offs with no success, so it’s not hard to see why as a fanbase we are apprehensive about our chances of success this time. That said, this is a different bunch of players and they have the qualities that have got us to second place. Hopefully they can be the first lot to win the play-offs.

Team is flat at the moment as is the crowd. Yesterday felt like everyone knew we’d fucked it in midweek and yesterday was the hangover. The real test over the next few weeks is for the club and Murray to lift the players and supporters to change is from a group who are on a downer for losing the league to a team who believe they can win the play offs. Not easy. 

4 hours ago, therollorose said:

It’s a weird one because if you’d told us as a fanbase at the beginning of the season that we’d finish second without any further context, you’d better believe we’d have bitten your hand off for it. But knowing where we’ve been at times this season and not capitalised on it, it’s totally understandable that folk are going to be disappointed or even annoyed because if we had, we’d have a chance to be decently clear at the top of the table. 

So aye, after last season’s abject disappointment, finishing second is of course a hell of an achievement. But you can’t blame folk for wondering what could have been if only we’d been able to beat Airdrie at least once

And don't get me started on Arbroath!!☹️

You can see why play-off teams from the Championship don’t get promoted. Watching Ross County dominate spells against Rangers I don’t see how we could live with them.

Simon Murray and Dhanda are a good front two

Hopefully County can get out of 11th. I don’t fancy facing them and would much we play St. Johnstone in a potential play off, I would take some pleasure in us relegating them to boot.

We've got to get past Partick or Airdrie first before whatever Premier team comes into the equation, and of that I'm not confident of beating either of them,  theres too many players at this point in the season not performing to the level of ability they have, (is it a case of what went wrong with Millen that's the issue) course maybe they're lulling the opposition into a false sense of security and will come out all guns blazing in those play off games......... I can but hope 

We have 3 dead rubbers to play where the opposition in 2 of them at least will still be competitive and then a week off before the first play off match. 

It's almost like a mini pre season to get ourselves ready. See the players are in today for some reason, would have thought they'd get some time off after 3 games in a week. 

1 hour ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

You can see why play-off teams from the Championship don’t get promoted. Watching Ross County dominate spells against Rangers I don’t see how we could live with them.

Simon Murray and Dhanda are a good front two

Interesting to learn that County are unbeaten at home since Don Cowie took over as interim manager.

PS How many games have Rangers been awarded a penalty this season? It feels like that it's almost every game!

Edited by embow

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Hopefully County can get out of 11th. I don’t fancy facing them and would much we play St. Johnstone in a potential play off, I would take some pleasure in us relegating them to boot.

Hi.

40 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

We've got to get past Partick or Airdrie first before whatever Premier team comes into the equation, and of that I'm not confident of beating either of them,  theres too many players at this point in the season not performing to the level of ability they have, (is it a case of what went wrong with Millen that's the issue) course maybe they're lulling the opposition into a false sense of security and will come out all guns blazing in those play off games......... I can but hope 

Airdrie have our number this season so hopefully Partick win the Quarter Final. We were pretty average yesterday but so were they and we’ve certainly shown we’re capable of beating them this season.  Final wise if we can get past Partick or Airdrie we’d need to be at our best to beat Ross County or St Johnstone.  County we’re excellent today but let’s be honest they’ve not played like that in many games or they wouldn’t be 11th. Going to have a problem if we face either as both have loaned us a player who I assume won’t then be available. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

1 hour ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

if last season's Thistle side couldn't get past last years County then its very hard to see this season's Raith, Thistle, or Airdrie getting past this season's County. 

9 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

if last season's Thistle side couldn't get past last years County then its very hard to see this season's Raith, Thistle, or Airdrie getting past this season's County. 

Ross County have only won 7 league games this season. If they were world beaters they’d likely have won a few more. Maybe it’ll be some other mob who drop into 11th place.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

You’re probably correct but it’ll come down to who hits form at the right time. None of the 4 playoff teams are world beaters and it’s just who gets it right on the day. We were relegated by a terrible Brechin team who just hit their stride at the right time. Best of luck against Airdrie.