The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😂

Away and raffle yourself. For what it's worth, our pitch will be marginally better than yours I'd imagine. Unless you laid a new one in the summer when I wasn't looking.

And he'll be starting fairly regularly well before the end of the season.

Couldn’t resist. Yea, I’d heard you got it replaced a couple of years ago…but did you get the rugby base and green crumb?

I figure he’ll be starting at least alternate games or so by seasons end…and I’m afraid that he’ll be poached, so his contract length is a plas.

38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As someone who saw Wullie come through with us as well they're actually quite different. They play a similar position so there are obvious comparisons but Wullie was lightning with quick feet, bags of energy, bags of potential but largely no end product when he first came through at us. He also listened to pretty much nobody.

Lewis had more assists and goals after a month in the team as a 16 year old than Wullie did in his first couple of seasons with us. He's not as quick but his delivery is way ahead of Wullie's at the same career stage (Wullie's delivery now is excellent but it took him about 15 - 20 years to achieve what Lewis has naturally). He's not the athlete Wullie was/is but he'll get that coached into him hopefully. He will listen and is a fantastic lad.

In end product terms he's a much more effective player than young Wullie Gibson was.

I was surprised to see a few folk on here when he signed assuming, I guess because of his age, that he'd be sent out on loan for 6 months / a year. There's no chance in my opinion that Lewis Gibson has been signed by Raith to send out on loan. If he's not a starter for you straight away he'll certainly be a contributor off the bench. For all he had some fitness concerns last season, he's a first team regular from the division below with over 60 appearances across two seasons. He doesn't need sent out to a lower level to learn anything.

Yeah agree he is here to be part of the team and make a contribution, looked good in the 2 matches I have saw him 

55 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Couldn’t resist. Yea, I’d heard you got it replaced a couple of years ago…but did you get the rugby base and green crumb?

I figure he’ll be starting at least alternate games or so by seasons end…and I’m afraid that he’ll be poached, so his contract length is a plas.

Is the hurricane heading your way TX?

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's best playing as a winger in my opinion. He can play either side, genuinely two footed but slightly better on his right but he's very good at cutting in from wide and sending in the sort of curling towards the back post cross that just needs any touch to divert into the net and sometimes drifts direct into goal at the back post if nobody touches it. He scored a couple of those for us.

His defending is generally a weak point so whilst he can and has played wing back for us on occasions, it does expose whatever side of the park he's on t a good winger. Far better to have a full back behind him in a 4-4-2. He can also play wide either side in a 4-3-3 and Marvin Bartley often used him in that role. He's effective in that role too even if not a natural finisher per se. He's scored two or three arriving back post from that position.

He has a lot of assists for an 18 year old and that's because his crossing is so very good and dangerous.

Sounds like an upgraded Joe Cardle!!

10 hours ago, Rael Rover said:

Is the hurricane heading your way TX?

Nah, staying east...got a few sprinkles this morning, see a few storms tonight...

1 minute ago, SerieA said:

Maybe a wee signing coming up

Hopefully that's what they're hinting at.  Another great tweet regardless though.