The New Raith Rovers Thread

I quite like the group format. I'd rather play these games than meaningless friendlies v lower league teams from England like we often used to.

53 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Highlights were interesting viewing, ball out of play straight from kick off, they ran right through us in the middle in that first half, big Kev made a few big saves that kept us in the game, I'm hoping it was too an big ask to qualify and we were only going through the motions to try and at least win the game with the players available, giving the injuries to others another week to clear up.

Away to our bogie team Airdrie next week, I ain't confident

I thought we'd finally got rid of that stupid kick off tactic we've had for the last two seasons of just thumping it long to the left hand touchline but we brought it back today.  In fairness to Fordyce he was trying to hit it to Easton but got it all wrong, which pretty much sums up his day, he's been impressive in the other games but nothing seemed to go right for him today.    

Edited by SanStarko

7 hours ago, bagpuss said:

I quite like the group format. I'd rather play these games than meaningless friendlies v lower league teams from England like we often used to.

I don't mind the groups too much but the round of 16 being seeded  needs binned. Should be an open draw, imo.

15 hours ago, SerieA said:

Murray not very positive on the injury front during his interview there

I actually thought the injury updates were pretty positive. Assuming he was telling the truth (and I have no reason to believe he wasn’t) it would seem we should have a full squad available for the Thistle game in 2 weeks (unless of course there are new injuries or illness before then).

Vaughan and Hanlon will of course need time to get up to match fitness.

Edited by AllanJM

2 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I don't mind the groups too much but the round of 16 being seeded  needs binned. Should be an open draw, imo.

The groups have improved since it was de-regionalised a couple of seasons ago. It was getting tedious being drawn with either Hearts and Dundee every season and you had the farcical situation where Dumbarton were in the East section and Dunfermline in the West in order to balance the seeds.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

The groups have improved since it was de-regionalised a couple of seasons ago. It was getting tedious being drawn with either Hearts and Dundee every season and you had the farcical situation where Dumbarton were in the East section and Dunfermline in the West in order to balance the seeds.

Aye, that was shite.

Out of the league cup games I only made the 2 home ones, but felt they were both effectively played like pre season games - pretty underwhelmed.

We will obviously be better once the 5 players missing come back in, but I've not seen anything to suggest we will be challenging for the title without at least a decent centr forward being signed, and getting Hanlon/Vaughan consistently fit and available.

22 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Seedings needs binned in every competition. 

But CountryBumpkin, how would the big teams succeed if they were knocked out in the group stages or a straight knockout tie? After all, these are the teams that we are told we wish to see succeed and not have “smaller” clubs progressing through domestic and european competitions. 
Imagine a scenario where a team like, say Napoli travelled to, off the top of my head Real Madrid in such a competition in the first round no less, The footballing world would collapse in on itself.

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Out of the league cup games I only made the 2 home ones, but felt they were both effectively played like pre season games - pretty underwhelmed.

We will obviously be better once the 5 players missing come back in, but I've not seen anything to suggest we will be challenging for the title without at least a decent centr forward being signed, and getting Hanlon/Vaughan consistently fit and available.

Sadly IMO we need a little more than a centre forward. We still lack pace and I'm still not convinced Freeman is Championship material. He looks pacey bit is constantly looking sideways or backwards for a pass. Megwa would be a great signing if made available.

I agree the 5 missing will make a difference, without Vaughan we miss that connection between midfield and our lone striker who at times is very lonely.

Stanton needs to play a number 8 role ahead of Byrne, Brown DCM ahead of Matthews and Hanlon and Murray would be my CH partnership as Fordyce looks very slow. 

2 or 3 good signings will get us there.

15 hours ago, Raithie said:

On another note never thought I'd see the day a Rovers team walked out to a Metallica song 😂

I done a mockup video to use coming out to Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, but P’n’B won’t let me upload it because the file is too big. Me and my son were talking about music teams come out and I thought it would be quite cool if we came out to that and just as the announcer says “the mighty Raith Rovers” that point the guitar kicks in. 

5 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I done a mockup video to use coming out to Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, but P’n’B won’t let me upload it because the file is too big. Me and my son were talking about music teams come out and I thought it would be quite cool if we came out to that and just as the announcer says “the mighty Raith Rovers” that point the guitar kicks in. 

If we’re doing such, I’d vote for “Over the Hills and Far Away” for the entry during the early guitar and drum riff.

The tony watt rumours are absolutely pointless.  It's never going to happen, It wouldn't be a good thing for the club at all. The wages would be impossible. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

If we’re doing such, I’d vote for “Over the Hills and Far Away” for the entry during the early guitar and drum riff.

I always quite liked Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town when we played it. Some of the others are just fucking horrendous, do Alloa still come out to The A Team ? going down south sure Everton are still the Z Cars theme tune 

23 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

I always quite liked Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town when we played it. Some of the others are just fucking horrendous, do Alloa still come out to The A Team ? going down south sure Everton are still the Z Cars theme tune 

I am sure they were still the A-Team theme when i was there a few years back. Yeah, Everton and Watford both come out to Z-cars. I don’t know what the link is with watford, but apparently one of the actors in the show was an Everton fan and that is why they went with it.

We use to come out to “we are family” under Calderon, which i believe was his choice because that was the culture he was trying to create among the players, to feel as close as a family. 

Edited by buchan30

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

If we're going to continue doing Enter Sandman, i'm all for that, but we have to go for it Virginia Tech college football style, anything less than that and its not worth it.

I'd also be looking at Thunderstruck or Hells Bells from AC/DC or Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. 

12 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

If we're going to continue doing Enter Sandman, i'm all for that, but we have to go for it Virginia Tech college football style, anything less than that and its not worth it.

I'd also be looking at Thunderstruck or Hells Bells from AC/DC or Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. 

Agree with Thunderstruck and Enter Sandman and I'd also like to add in Sirius by the Alan Parsons Project. 

However we better get back to football team before we get railroaded🤣🤣 

38 minutes ago, voddyman said:

Agree with Thunderstruck and Enter Sandman and I'd also like to add in Sirius by the Alan Parsons Project. 

However we better get back to football team before we get railroaded🤣🤣 

I'd agree, the Chicago Bulls did that one really well. (not sure if they still do?)

On the football side, I took from Murray's post match that we should see Stanton back from illness. Brown and Euan Murray are possible, Vaughan and Hanlon will depend on how they react to training this week. 

I still feel we need 1-2 bodies in. A quick striker and a genuine box to box midfielder that can break past the forwards and create space. 

I'd go with the following for Saturday assuming everyone is available.

Dabrowski

Freeman  Murray  Fordyce  Stevenson

Byrne

Brown             Stanton

Gibson                                             Easton

Hamilton