The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Diamond Sab said:

Never like to see anyone get the sack but in truth Murrays game management and tactics were poor even when he managed Airdrie with mass panic substitutions usually too late after losing a goal but I also think that Raith are now going in now to win league  having realised that experienced player signings can be costly as well as being over loyal to the existing players who have not been results wise poor since Jan 2024 .Difficult gig for new manager since it appears budget spent and contract compensation due

Budget isn’t spent Barrowman confirmed this earlier in the week

1 minute ago, Hughsie said:

We appointed your Sports Science guy in the summer I noticed.

Did he get replaced?

Yeah, he was. Would seem that regardless, injuries haven't abated at all. Plus side, new sport scientist arbitrarily claps less than the last guy. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Apparently he asked for a pay-rise in line with the increase in catering income of c.500% and Colin Smart went apeshit and sacked him on the spot.

Was told to wear shorts and a cap to perfect this manager look but refused , allegedly😉

9 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

We appointed your Sports Science guy in the summer I noticed.

Did he get replaced?

We appointed a replacement at the end of June, that would be around the time we started our pre-season.

We were a couple of weeks behind everyone else as our previous season only finished on the 26th of May.

4 hours ago, bagpuss said:

I'll prepare to be proven wrong, but I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of appointing McCabe. Can't see any reason why  he'd swap Airdrie for Raith

RR will have to pay a good amount of money to IM before paying Airdrie handsomely since McCabe is under contract.  Very unlikely to happen.  That diminishes the playing budget needed to improve the team and all of that before you consider the Fordyce headache. He would also need to be moved on somehow as it’s pretty clear the cousins aren’t talking.  All in all, and I’m really happy to say this, it won’t be McCabe.  

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

It’s gonna be an interesting morning across the pond in Texas when a certain someone wakes up!

Been awake, but dealing with other issues so only checked in just a little bit ago...wasn't really expecting 15 pages to read.

1 hour ago, MICMAC said:

We really don't know what Murrays contract was. Yes it was a 3 1/2 year deal but was it performance related, was it a rolling contract. We don't really know if we only have to pay him compensation up until the end of the current season or not because of the contract clauses.

A very accurate point. It would seem likely something has happened that has either voided the contract for some reason, or there is some way to manage the financial mess of a buyout.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Aye there is. Just after the January window is shut as we did with Locke going and Hughes coming in. We also had a similar situation as this one in 96 where we sacked Jimmy the Janny after 3 games, only for his replacement to last 7 days and then his replacement relegated us.

Yep, that would be much worse. But, we now have only a very short time if we want to give a new manager a chance to influence possible signings.

58 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Technically it’s probably the best time… the new guy will have pretty much a full season and the transfer window hasn’t closed.

But it's a very tight window till it closes until January...so I don't know.

My $0.02, its not just performance, but that's the company line and I seriously doubt we'll hear anything else from either side for quite a while. A rumour may well surface that turns out to be the truth, but it's unlikely we'll know that for a long time. I do, however, seriously doubt we already have a replacement in mind, because this was not something anticipated...which suggests something provided a reason to either allow or require IM's replacement.

Timing weird which suggests some sort of bust up, shit happens

Some of the football since the start of the year has been turgid to watch, predictable tactics, no chances being created far less goals being scored

An example ... midweek home game against Morton where one trundling shot from Sam Stanton was our only attempt at goal and we were meant to be happy escaping with a point .. nah not for me

Some great memories first half of last season, but we were in a rut we were never going to get out of so fair play to the board for spotting this early, I am sure it wasnt an easy decision

Edited by anonionanawnoo

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I'd heard that too, but seen nothing to confirm he ever did. The club he was linked with, Al-Qadsiah have another manager, Michel. Granted not much information but i'm not seeing anything concrete. 

Already been said but hes got his job as "Development Coach" there on his Linkedin.

7 hours ago, CALDERON said:

If you think watching Raith Rovers in the first half of last season was a "terrible watch", I'm genuinely unsure what your expectations are.  

If you think having to throw on 6 forwards to beat Arbroath is a fun watch then professional football maybe shouldn't be your go too 👍🏼. Not one win higher than 1 goal until the 2nd last game of the season or something like that, is pathetic for a team meant to be pushing for the league title. 

How anybody can defend his nonsical tactics and poor subs is beyond me?! Take away the last minute winners, most of the 90 minutes were painful, it really is that simple. If you feel that kind of brand of football was or ever is going to get a team in to the Premiership and is enjoyable then maybe watch school football. 

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

The bottom line is we look horribly slow and unfit.

Whether the board have called Murray out on that, or whether Murray has called someone out whose specific remit is fitness, to the chagrin of the board, who knows?

The average age of Raith's 10 outfielders (removed goalies as fitness isn't really a factor for them) yesterday was 30, by comparison ours was 23, and 32 year old McCabe is the oldest by 6 years.

I've no idea about Raith's training and coming back to pre-season late may have had an affect (although could also argue shorter break means less match fitness is lost during the summer) but I'd say part of the answer is staring you in the face with the above stat. I'm not saying that players still shouldn't be able to play at this level into their 30s, clearly they can and should. But all things being equal an average 23 year old is going to be quicker and be able to recover much better than a 30 year old can, and likely be less prone to picking up niggly/stress related injuries. The only one with any real pace in that team is Smith. Gibson looked bright when he came on not because he did anything amazing but just because he has a bit of pace and energy about him which stood out in such a one-paced team.

Raith have prioritised experience and pedigree at this level in their recruitment, but to me it seems haven't got the right balance with younger, pacier players to bring a bit more energy to the side. I'd imagine we are probably the youngest and Raith the oldest so it probably stands out more in that match-up, would need to see what the average is for other sides. But even the best sports science team would be working with 1 hand tied behind their back if half the team are over 30 and other teams in the league are mainly guys in their early/mid 20s.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

If you think having to throw on 6 forwards to beat Arbroath is a fun watch then professional football maybe shouldn't be your go too 👍🏼. Not one win higher than 1 goal until the 2nd last game of the season or something like that, is pathetic for a team meant to be pushing for the league title. 

How anybody can defend his nonsical tactics and poor subs is beyond me?! Take away the last minute winners, most of the 90 minutes were painful, it really is that simple. If you feel that kind of brand of football was or ever is going to get a team in to the Premiership and is enjoyable then maybe watch school football. 

I think there's a fairly sizable middle ground between "fun" and "terrible".  

I've been on the more negative side of things, and felt the title was there to be won - but brandishing a half of the season where we gained around 40 points as terrible really is taking negativity to the next level. I agree it wasn't sustainable,  I felt that and called it out at the time, but if that's your definition of terrible then I'd be interested to hear if you've ever enjoyed watching Raith Rovers other than a 3 year spell in the 90s?

28 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The average age of Raith's 10 outfielders (removed goalies as fitness isn't really a factor for them) yesterday was 30, by comparison ours was 23, and 32 year old McCabe is the oldest by 6 years.

I've no idea about Raith's training and coming back to pre-season late may have had an affect (although could also argue shorter break means less match fitness is lost during the summer) but I'd say part of the answer is staring you in the face with the above stat. I'm not saying that players still shouldn't be able to play at this level into their 30s, clearly they can and should. But all things being equal an average 23 year old is going to be quicker and be able to recover much better than a 30 year old can, and likely be less prone to picking up niggly/stress related injuries. The only one with any real pace in that team is Smith. Gibson looked bright when he came on not because he did anything amazing but just because he has a bit of pace and energy about him which stood out in such a one-paced team.

Raith have prioritised experience and pedigree at this level in their recruitment, but to me it seems haven't got the right balance with younger, pacier players to bring a bit more energy to the side. I'd imagine we are probably the youngest and Raith the oldest so it probably stands out more in that match-up, would need to see what the average is for other sides. But even the best sports science team would be working with 1 hand tied behind their back if half the team are over 30 and other teams in the league are mainly guys in their early/mid 20s.

This is probably the most accurate post in relation to our squad that I’ve read in a while and it could well be one of the contributing factors why we’ve pulled the trigger so early.