The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Now that he's away, I wonder what Ian Murray REALLY thought of the recruitment strategy and Potter's day to day involvement. In interviews he always said it worked well but somehow I didn't believe him. He had the new system thrust upon him at takeover and I always wondered if he was tolerating it, rather than endorsing it.

If I was in the running for the job, as an applicant or on the BoD preferred list, I'd be giving Murray a call, although he'll almost certainly be covered by a confidentiality agreement. There are ways and means to get the info you need though, without breaching such an agreement.

Murray had the same situation initially at Airdrie, when Stuart Millar came in as DOF,  Millar was in charge of signings when we got Thomas Robert, Harlain Mbayo and Eoighan Stokes(sic). It wasn't really working and you could tell either Murray wasn't trusted or frustrated wannabe DOF, when Millar went, Murray went from strength to strength and got us to the playoffs final,  maybe it is just coincidence though..

I certainly think recruitment is a team game. Murray identifying and Potter doing the contract negotiations. Fordyce is an example, identified as leaving Airdrie, Murray wanting him and Potter getting the deal done.

Your also not telling me Murray didn't want Hanlon or Stevenson. 

Hamilton is also a player Murray wanted prior to him going down south and that was with the old board. 

I don't buy into the Murray wasn't happy. Instead of looking for reasons to criticise we need to get behind the club, board and hope they get someone decent in shortly with 2 or 3 players to follow.

19 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I certainly think recruitment is a team game. Murray identifying and Potter doing the contract negotiations. Fordyce is an example, identified as leaving Airdrie, Murray wanting him and Potter getting the deal done.

Hamilton is also a player Murray wanted prior to him going down south and that was with the old board. 

I don't buy into the Murray wasn't happy. Instead of looking for reasons to criticise we need to get behind the club, board and hope they get someone decent in shortly with 2 or 3 players to follow.

This

12 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I was always told growing up, you play to the whistle. Byrne in his eyes maybe was fouled but he handled it in the box so gave the ref an easy decision. Should he have seen red I'm not so sure.

Having played the game it ain,t as straight forward as that..Its like someone saying a player shouldn,t have made that tackle knowing he was already on a booking

54 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Yes, you're right. I'm not telling you he didn't want Hanlon and Stevenson.

8 hours ago, Varna Rover said:

i have no doub their is some managers from the lower European leqgus that could do a decent job for us and that would jump at the chance

We haven't got 3 months to wait for them to get a work permit.

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Some wild takes on this thread. Raith being a bigger club than Lifield though takes the biscuit 🤣 

It's not so much a case of bigger club, but as the guy who wrote the piece in the Belfast Telegraph states, Healy has an opportunity to take Rovers up into a league that is far bigger than the league Linfield play in.

Not a direct comparison, but similar vein - Celtic are generally deemed to be a bigger club than Brighton, but their best player from last season wanted to move to Brighton as it gives him an opportunity to play on a much bigger stage than the Scottish Premiership.

11 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I certainly think recruitment is a team game. Murray identifying and Potter doing the contract negotiations.

Hmm, depends. Ask yourself why Gibson has started the last two games since Murray got punted and prior to that barely got a look in 🤐

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Some wild takes on this thread. Raith being a bigger club than Lifield though takes the biscuit 🤣 

If you're basing club size on trophies won then by rights East Fife are a far bigger club than most teams in Scotland. Yours and mine included. 

12 hours ago, pantene proV said:

Stevenson was completely hopeless at right back. I'd rather Freeman played there, and I've never seen Freeman play yet!

so let me get this right.....you HAVE NEVER SEEN FREEMAN PLAY?....

BUT you would play him at right back ahead of Stevenson,,,,,,,,wow..

.STRANGE LOGIC FRIEND!!

Edited by Wee Sandy

9 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

so let me get this right.....you HAVE NEVER SEEN FREEMAN PLAY?....

BUT you would play him at right back ahead of Stevenson,,,,,,,,wow..

.STRANGE LOGIC FRIEND!!

Stevenson isn't a right back, so playing an actual right back there isn't strange logic at all. I'd prefer Stevenson on the left and Freeman on the right, we have no real other options with Byrne suspended. 

I don't quite understand your usage of capital letters or the comma. 

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Speaking of Freeman is he injured or just deemed not good enough??

Think Potter mentioned an injury to the sole of his foot.