The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I do wonder how much the fickle nature of the fans plays into the decision making. We were talking about it at work last week. Someone like Peter Leven who had a short spell as interim manager at Aberdeen seemed to be widely accepted by the fans but Barry Robson who was in Leven’s shoes but did a good enough job to get the gig full time, finishing 3rd with them, seemed to be one of the ones people turned their nose up at.

Robson hasn't been mentioned but I'd be delighted if we went for him. But aye, you're absolutely correct: I think after the Locke appointment where Drysdale came out with a "we know best" attitude the board know they can't just pull in anyone. That and I think they have a degree of standards and have, to an extent, been unlucky that three candidates now have opted to remain where they are.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

FFS, the amount of panty pishing and weird theories flying around is absurd, is it really gonna take me trying to be a rational voice?

The BoD and Barrowman/Potter likely made the choice to oust IM as a whole. The acknowledged targets so far have been names with merit. Barrowman likely did a disservice by being optimist in his first interview about a swift appointment, but anyone who thinks it would be better to get a body in at Manager NOW versus getting a good choice in LATER is seriously deluded.

Despite all the moist underwear around here, it is absolutely correct to take the time to do this right. Does this risk a poor start to the season, yes, but last season we started strong and stumbled to the end and nearly made it anyway, so it’s not the end of the world. So far we have three points from three games against what was adjudged to be three of the strongest competitors this season. If we win the next game, we’d be at six points from four matches, and on course for a total that makes the playoffs. Meanwhile, if we lose it, we’re on course for the trapdoor playoff, so that’s how little the early going can matter.

Get a f**king grip people! Patience, let the process play out. Once we have a result, and we can hear what actually occurred, we can do a postmortem/assign blame as necessary. Until then, change your nappies and calm doon.

I haven’t seen any names with merit. 

Some assistant managers and someone who hasn’t won the league with Linfield for the last two seasons. 

Just now, McGuigan1978 said:

I haven’t seen any names with merit. 

Some assistant managers and someone who hasn’t won the league with Linfield for the last two seasons. 

You've surely been following the Rovers long enough to know we aren't plucking some majory successful manager out of somewhere to come here. 

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Robson hasn't been mentioned but I'd be delighted if we went for him. But aye, you're absolutely correct: I think after the Locke appointment where Drysdale came out with a "we know best" attitude the board know they can't just pull in anyone. That and I think they have a degree of standards and have, to an extent, been unlucky that three candidates now have opted to remain where they are.

Barry Robson should be on our shortlist you would think but maybe doesn’t fancy it 

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

FFS, the amount of panty pishing and weird theories flying around is absurd, is it really gonna take me trying to be a rational voice?

The BoD and Barrowman/Potter likely made the choice to oust IM as a whole. The acknowledged targets so far have been names with merit. Barrowman likely did a disservice by being optimist in his first interview about a swift appointment, but anyone who thinks it would be better to get a body in at Manager NOW versus getting a good choice in LATER is seriously deluded.

Despite all the moist underwear around here, it is absolutely correct to take the time to do this right. Does this risk a poor start to the season, yes, but last season we started strong and stumbled to the end and nearly made it anyway, so it’s not the end of the world. So far we have three points from three games against what was adjudged to be three of the strongest competitors this season. If we win the next game, we’d be at six points from four matches, and on course for a total that makes the playoffs. Meanwhile, if we lose it, we’re on course for the trapdoor playoff, so that’s how little the early going can matter.

Get a f**king grip people! Patience, let the process play out. Once we have a result, and we can hear what actually occurred, we can do a postmortem/assign blame as necessary. Until then, change your nappies and calm doon.

You'll never hear the truth anyway because Barrowman is a liar. 

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

You've surely been following the Rovers long enough to know we aren't plucking some majory successful manager out of somewhere to come here. 

Exactly we take chances on people , some work some don’t, unfortunately since jackie O’s shut that rules out pep as it was his dream to get the badge in when there. Barry Robson or someone like him probably has a point to prove and that’s what we need, someone looking for another chance 

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

Exactly we take chances on people , some work some don’t, unfortunately since jackie O’s shut that rules out pep as it was his dream to get the badge in when there. Barry Robson or someone like him probably has a point to prove and that’s what we need, someone looking for another chance 

or simply someone looking for a chance

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Robson was as bad at Aberdeen as Fox was at United. No thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Robson was as bad at Aberdeen as Fox was at United. No thanks. 

Nonsense. 

Robson had a 40% win rate and got to a cup final and the group stages in Europe. It undoubtedly tailed off in the league and Aberdeen should've been higher than 8th, but he's miles away from Liam Fox and this two jobs on a 20% win rate 

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Nonsense. 

Robson had a 40% win rate and got to a cup final and the group stages in Europe. It undoubtedly tailed off in the league and Aberdeen should've been higher than 8th, but he's miles away from Liam Fox and this two jobs on a 20% win rate 

Does that include his spell as caretaker though? He was hopeless from the moment he got the job permanently. 

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Does that include his spell as caretaker though? He was hopeless from the moment he got the job permanently. 

can you ever say a good word about anyone.

Any manager coming in now - whoever it is - will inevitably be viewed through a lens of being the backup to any backup choice.

I get it that the board couldn’t control the Healy news being leaked (likely his agent you’d think), or him ultimately turning the club down. For Barrowman to come out & say Healy was never on the initial shortlist though - where was the due diligence he spoke of three weeks ago, for the other candidates that were, when he said he was confident in the club’s target(s)?

Surely part of that process involved putting out some form of feelers to gauge if any of the top targets were remotely interested? If we’re to believe that it’s only now Leven & Healy who have formally turned the club down after an offer, what happened to the other top targets?

I think most of us assumed Barrowman had a target if not tapped up, then certainly lined up, but now I’m not so sure that was the case at all. Brings sharp focus back to the timing of the sacking, which was always fair game for legitimate criticism & scepticism.

2 hours ago, Rocco said:

Could it be your setup that’s causing managers to be put off? I’d assume most managers at this level would want a certain level of control and it sounds like the manager doesn’t get a huge amount of input into transfers and such. I could be wrong as I’ve only read what your fans are saying regarding the setup

McGlynn had a level of control with us,that went well

Heally not being on the list was explained by barrowman by saying he had applied for the job and that his cv interested them. 

It seems to me that we've went after leven having seen him getting a good reputation as a coach and doing a decent job as interim at Aberdeen. When he's knocked us back we've apparently went after the St mirren assistant manager who's name escapes me. We've then looked at healy who has applied and he's then decided against it for whatever reason. We're now back to a position where we don't have a preferred candidate but do have more inclination of targets that should be viable.

Robson is actually a good shout imo. He was a highly rated coach before he got arguably the 3rd biggest job in Scottish football which he obviously didn't do as wished in however they where going through a bad spell where they had to effectively replace alot of their better players as well. 

f**k knows who, what, where or even when we actually get a new manager now but if we go over a month without one when we've sacked Murray after one league game, then the board and barrowman as the public face of it have massive questions to answer and I hope they do admit they've been a bit naieve in thinking people would jump at the chance. 

1 hour ago, BPM said:

OH FFS how many people do you need to run a £2m operation in the Scottish Championship? Talk about chiefs and Indians. Talk about top heavy. We have been there thank f**k we saw the light. 

If you've got McGlynn dishing out contracts make sure you don't look straight at that light.

2 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

If you've got McGlynn dishing out contracts make sure you don't look straight at that light.

Mcglynns contracts for potential stars with sell on value versus Potters multi year deals for Stevenson, Hanlon and Mullin… I know which one makes more business sense.