Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

Something going down in Keyham 

A shooting, multiple fatalities, several more injured. Thankfully though, we are being told its "not terrorism".

Multiple people killed and injured by gun fire.....

Not terror. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

A shooting, multiple fatalities, several more injured. Thankfully though, we are being told its "not terrorism".

Not terror. 

Any news if the shooter(s) is full of holes or in cuffs?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Not terror. 

Are you implying that any act involving multiple people dying by gunfire is terrorism? That's a bit of a stretch.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Are you implying that any act involving multiple people dying by gunfire is terrorism? That's a bit of a stretch.

People being told to stay in the house because bullets are being sprayed about killing people. Sounds pretty terrory to me. Of course, when an incident is unfolding, it probably quite difficult to determine motives. Which just makes me wonder why the rush to say its not terrorism (the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political aims).

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Which just makes me wonder why the rush to say its not terrorism

Because often post terror attacks there is an increase in racist attacks, of course not when it's a mental white supremacist.

15 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

4 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Guy shot his parents and 3 others and he is dead now as well according to local reporter.

I suppose in this sort of scenario it might become apparent quite quickly to the coppers that there is no wider threat/terrorism

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Was the Dunblane shooting terrorism?

IMO? Absolutely. Going by the "political" definition, maybe not. I don't actually know what Hamilton's aims were, I was very young when it happened. Don't recall the details. 

Terrorism is generally defined as violence deliberately targeted at civilians to further political aims. Not all violence is terrorism.

The example used above was Dunblane - we don’t know what Thomas Hamilton’s motive was but it seems likely that it was revenge on the people of Dunblane who he apparently felt had treated him unfairly. If you compare that to another mass shooting of children, Anders Brevieks shooting of youth workers of the Norwegian Labour Party then there is a clear difference. Breviek had a very specific political goal. 

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It doesn't bear thinking about. I looked it up, I went through Keyham on the way to Saltash. It's like someone walked over my grave.

Get your compo face ready and get writing to local hacks! See you in "Have I got local news for you"

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Get your compo face ready and get writing to local hacks! See you in "Have I got local news for you"

Between this and Guidis burning down I'm at my tether's end. They say these things come threes!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

51 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

People being told to stay in the house because bullets are being sprayed about killing people. Sounds pretty terrory to me. Of course, when an incident is unfolding, it probably quite difficult to determine motives. Which just makes me wonder why the rush to say its not terrorism (the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political aims).

Because there is no evidence whatsoever that it is terrorism with no political motive even having been suggested by the authorities at this stage, let alone confirmed.

Rushing to decry every act of violence as "terrorism" without any evidence further fractures society and can lead to an increase in hatred which often manifests itself in the form of prejudice to certain minority groups, particularly, at the current time, Muslims.

People die in horrific ways all the time. A tiny fraction of a percentage of them are as a result of acts of terrorism.