Unpopular opinions.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:
1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
Also for me. Wedding was meant to be in June, stag in April this year. Wedding moved to September this year and stag to April 2021. Totally fine with that, looking forward to a few days with some mates as a mini break rather than a LADS LADS LADS liver-killing weekend. 

Is DA Baracus still allowed to take you to the lap dancers though?

What an absolute waste of money that would be. I'd rather pay you to take your clothes off in front of me, least I could cop a feel!

5 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

That then raises a further question: should minks be allowed to breed?

Clearly yes. Modern society and views have brought us to the situation where birth rates in people in a less suitable environment for bringing up children are outstripping those better placed. So the cycle continues - downwards.

I can remember when teenage mothers were a big news story.  You had ministers saying that they were going to stop the practice of children having children to get benefits and the press used to often talk about "gym slip mothers".  Now, mothers over the age of 40 are almost as common as teenage mothers and you never seem to read any columns or front page splashes about this issue.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I can remember when teenage mothers were a big news story.  You had ministers saying that they were going to stop the practice of children having children to get benefits and the press used to often talk about "gym slip mothers".  Now, mothers over the age of 40 are almost as common as teenage mothers and you never seem to read any columns or front page splashes about this issue.

I would argue that in any decent sample size mothers in their 40’s would do a better job overall in bringing up children than teenagers.  The massive problem is that the fertility rates in that group would leave huge demographic issues in the future.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

I think people are too obsessed with marriage and view it as the ultimate destination for true love and happiness but when the honeymoon period is over and they aren’t feeling warm and fuzzy anymore they blame their other halves, the marriage inevitably comes to an end and there is a great deal of resentment left over. I’d like to see how many of the 42% of the divorces occur within 3 years of marriage and how many of them cite the reason for being divorced as to having rushed the marriage in the first place.

Weddings are not only incredibly expensive, they are also, often a superficial dick waving contest and a chance for the couples families to take passive aggressive swipes at relatives and so called friends  by not inviting them or giving them evening invites whilst they invite their newly found cooler mates along for the entire day. I’ve seen many friendships and families inflicted with deep and hurtful scars based on invites to weddings and hen/stag dos in the past and it’s not pretty.

I’d say most people are as well just not bothering tbh.

I came on here to post something that you've pretty much nailed.

I'd managed to get away with not being engaged/married for over a decade and when asked how long we had been together my Mrs got pity looks from other women.

Women have this timetable in their heads as to when things should happen and it seems regardless of age.

Although probably 95% of proposals are done by men the main driver here is women believing they should be married seeing as they have been together a while and are living together.

As you state couples start off new and in a honeymoon phase. They then will do something like move in together and that is all new.

They then might buy a house together and once the novelty of that wears off the inevitable proposal comes.

Once the honeymoon is done and nobody is asking to see your wedding pictures anymore I think it is an awakening for them that your big moment in life is over and now you're stuck with that person lying next to you.

Women that are planning weddings from a young age or aren't even with someone are best avoided.

I'd say regardless of whether the parents are married, live together or are biological parents etc I'd have thought it'd be fairly obvious that excluding all other factors (extended family etc) the possible scenarios, ranked from best to worst are:

1. Two good parents

2. One good parent

3. Zero good parents

I really don't think it matters too much whether people's parents are in a monogamous legally binding relationship or not.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'd say regardless of whether the parents are married, live together or are biological parents etc I'd have thought it'd be fairly obvious that excluding all other factors (extended family etc) the possible scenarios, ranked from best to worst are:

1. Two good parents

2. One good parent

3. Zero good parents

I really don't think it matters too much whether people's parents are in a monogamous legally binding relationship or not.

Largely agree but would put a caveat on the categories.  I would argue that two good parents from birth would be better than two good parents who then split up even if they then form other groups of good parents. The psychological impact on children (especially at certain ages) of parents breaking up shouldn’t be discarded.

@D.A.F.C started this by relaying what he felt from browsing Facebook. The thread about Facebook is a bit buried/hidden IMO in the top fives section. You can probably get a slightly skewed view of the world if Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/P&B is treated as any more than a little snapshot of a particular group of people. Aristotle was writing similar stuff to D.A.F.C.'s post in 4BC, saying the world was going to shit as the next generation are such wasters. It's just part of growing old. Even on here you will see folk complaining about the level of "banter" and that it's not how it used to be in the old days, before writing some mind-numbing dull shite themselves. 

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I can't remember exact details, but there's a pile of legal guff that can result in shitstorms if something happens to couples that are (in the eyes of the law) nothing more than live-in girlfriend and boyfriend.  

My other half and I have been trying to get wills formalised with a solicitor for seemingly ages now and he awkwardly keeps saying "get married, it's easier".

I can imagine your other half is the sort of person who would write fanmail to Peter Sutcliffe. 

8 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I can imagine your other half is the sort of person who would write fanmail to Peter Sutcliffe. 

For somebody that consistently posts pictures of their dog with views out their window (allowing for relatively straightforward triangulation), this is a particularly bold post.

[mention=59448]D.A.F.C[/mention] started this by relaying what he felt from browsing Facebook. The thread about Facebook is a bit buried/hidden IMO in the top fives section. You can probably get a slightly skewed view of the world if Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/P&B is treated as any more than a little snapshot of a particular group of people. Aristotle was writing similar stuff to D.A.F.C.'s post in 4BC, saying the world was going to shit as the next generation are such wasters. It's just part of growing old. Even on here you will see folk complaining about the level of "banter" and that it's not how it used to be in the old days, before writing some mind-numbing dull shite themselves. 

Exactly its not like I just woke up and declared war on single parents.
My original post was about a mum who thought it was funny that her son was a drug dealer. I think this was ground zero tbh.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

For somebody that consistently posts pictures of their dog with views out their window (allowing for relatively straightforward triangulation), this is a particularly bold post.

I'm moving soon! The witness protection promise me you won't find me! 

On 18/08/2020 at 08:41, ICTChris said:

For some reason I am interested in the Karabakh conflict so I would be interested to read it.

I'm sure some of the famous victories the Armenians had in Karabakh involved tank battles, that might lie behind the tank biathlon.

Here you go, hope you enjoy.

Karabakh.pdf

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Here you go, hope you enjoy.

Karabakh.pdf 89.07 kB · 2 downloads

That's brilliant, thanks for sharing.  I think it must be strange to be people who have lived for generations in one place (Baku in this example) and then you are resettled somewhere completely different, as a group.  My dad used to live in Cyprus and that is something that has happened there, on both sides.