Unpopular opinions.

15 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

This will go down well here, but Stephens the bakers is shit, there pies and steak bridies are dried up in inside and have weird taste 

I'd rather have a Greggs tbh

*ill caveat that with our Stepehens is a bit of the Coop but don't get the love tbh.

Stephens isn't perfect although their stuff can be good. Their steak and haggis pies are better then their bridies imo. However, even know their worst days, Stephens is superior to Greggs. You could be there at opening time and you'd still be told that the sausage rolls and steak beaks aren't that hot. And a Stephens Caramel Shortcake doughnut is superior to any filled confectionery product Greggs makes. Although their Yum-Yums are decent.

20 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

^^^ sister pants his his level

It's sad to imagine a time when SlipperyP wouldn't post gems like this anymore.

15 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

This will go down well here, but Stephens the bakers is shit, there pies and steak bridies are dried up in inside and have weird taste 

*ill caveat that with our Stepehens is a bit of the Coop but don't get the love tbh.

I'd have furiously countered that five years ago, but times change.

I bought a pie and fruit slice recently after a long time away, and the drop in quality is marked. Very disappointed.

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm actually going off her. 

Liar.

Although, I'd still prefer P&B's old flame Ralston, or (and this is will be more proof that I'm not right) modern-day Carol Vorderman.

42 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Stephens isn't perfect although their stuff can be good. Their steak and haggis pies are better then their bridies imo. However, even know their worst days, Stephens is superior to Greggs. You could be there at opening time and you'd still be told that the sausage rolls and steak beaks aren't that hot. And a Stephens Caramel Shortcake doughnut is superior to any filled confectionery product Greggs makes. Although their Yum-Yums are decent.

I see your Stephens and raise you Bayne's. Their morning roll and coffee deal is excellent, their stuff delicious.

1 hour ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

100% agree. Far better local bakers up and down the country.

2 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

When I first moved to Fife 25 years ago Stephen's bridies were fantastic. They are now a poor shadow of what they once were.

If you can find them, the Buffalo Farm from Kirkcaldy have excellent pies. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I see your Stephens and raise you Bayne's. Their morning roll and coffee deal is excellent, their stuff delicious.

It was always Baynes I'd go to when I was younger. I'd get some rolls or cabins (cavins? No idea) and my old man would get some well fired rolls. We also had Crawfords which was a good bakers too, then a bit further afield there was Stuarts and also Fisher & Donaldson. 

Is there anywhere that does decent doughnuts I'm Scotland. I like the ones that are like a heavy sponge with air bubbles in them and thick icing on top. I don't like the American ones that are chewy like Krispy Kremes.

In Stirling there used to be baynes bakers did them and whatever the Bakers was at the entrance to the thistle centre on port street that seems to be a Greggs now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2023 at 18:51, Salvo Montalbano said:

It was always Baynes I'd go to when I was younger. I'd get some rolls or cabins (cavins? No idea) and my old man would get some well fired rolls. We also had Crawfords which was a good bakers too, then a bit further afield there was Stuarts and also Fisher & Donaldson. 

Stuarts vanilla slices are absolutely fucking class. As are the coffee towers from Fisher and Donaldson. Pure filth. 

57 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Anyone who wears a ‘Ghillie’ shirt should be locked up & hard drive checked.

If anyone wears one to my own wedding they’ll be barred from entry (& reported to the police).

It makes it look like you spend your weekends alternating between volunteering at the Scottish crannog centre and playing a drum on the high street with Clanadonia

50 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Stuarts vanilla slices are absolutely fucking class. As are the coffee towers from Fisher and Donaldson. Pure filth. 

Stuart's of Buckhind seem to have quite an outreach these days. I've seen their pies on sale in Stockbridge (don't even ask - blame my daughter) and today I bought an iced doughnut in Meigle (it wasnae very guid - been sitting around for too long) Stuart's paper poke complete with the 01333 phone number. 

Interestingly Bayview have never sold Stuart's meat filled pastry based produce. I think they jumped from Lightbody's to Morelands.