Unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Racking my brain at who was the last banned loser who returned on here giving it the "why are posters not being nice to me schtick".

Some will say it was Oaksoft. I disagree. Oaksoft was transphobic, but not a sectarian fuckwit.

Keep posting anyway, you'll out yourself eventually.

Gives yourself something to do after yesterday.

You are so wrong. I am not a sectarian fuckwit you ignorant dafty. 

I don't know what is wrong with people like you. I guess ignorance.

2 hours ago, Big Bobo said:

You are so wrong. I am not a sectarian fuckwit you ignorant dafty. 

I don't know what is wrong with people like you. I guess ignorance.

So what kind of fuckwit are you?

15 hours ago, velo army said:

The Tartan Army is just the name for the Scotland support in general. I mind Hamish Husband tried to get it trademarked as only those who went to away games through the Travel Club and was booted out of court by the judge who showed multiple instances of the media describing the Scotland support generally as the TA.

Unsure how unpopular this is, but buskers shouldn't be allowed mics or amplifiers of any sort. Sing your songs, but it shouldn't be that loud I can hear it half a mile down the street.

Buskers are fuds. 

Except for the guy I saw playing the bagpipes in the birthplace of Dr Johnson, Lichfield. I hope he got it right up the ghost of Dr Fatty Know it all. I gave him a quid. 

3 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Screenshot_20240513_101754_Samsung Internet.jpg

Very nifty and a steal at just under £100. I'll wear that to the next wedding I'm invited too and I can be on hand to do some DIY should the need arise.

Posted (edited)

After the last D Day veteran dies, we should file it under the 'let's teach it, not specifically honour it out and about' category.

There'll inevitably come a time where it'll be seen as a significant historical event along the lines of the Battle of Trafalgar which we don't have any form of 'remembrance' for (not that I'm directly comparing the two), so why not get to that point sooner rather than later to prevent it becoming little more than a "get it right up the Germans" point-scoring exercise. It probably resonates with the boomers who's family probably had some involvement, but those heartstrings become harder to pull when it involves people's great grandparents.

My personal view is that the British have an unhealthy obsession about WW2 (almost as a tribalistic ritual), and a general Remembrance Day is more than enough.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

After the last D Day veteran dies, we should file it under the 'let's teach it, not specifically honour it out and about' category.

There'll inevitably come a time where it'll be seen as a significant historical event along the lines of the Battle of Trafalgar which we don't have any form of 'remembrance' for (not that I'm directly comparing the two), so why not get to that point sooner rather than later to prevent it becoming little more than a "get it right up the Germans" point-scoring exercise. It probably resonates with the boomers who's family probably had some involvement, but those heartstrings become harder to pull when it involves people's great grandparents.

My personal view is that the British have an unhealthy obsession about WW2 (almost as a tribalistic ritual), and a general Remembrance Day is more than enough.

The navy brass go all out to celebrate Trafalgar day. Big chocolate boats firing party poppers at each other and a shitload of port being passed round. Genuinely one of the funniest things I ever saw. 

Ww2 is becoming the founding mythology of post imperial Britain though. I completely agree that the glorification of mass slaughter and triumphalism leaves a nasty taste. 

Not everyone likes dancing. Stop trying to get folk involved when they've said they don't like it, and stop thinking that folk who don't enjoy dancing are being some sort of mood killer for not joining in. 

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

James Doohan was shot 6 times on D-Day. 

#lestweforget