Unpopular opinions.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Quite a lot of the 'wind-up' / banter I see among friends and family is actually really passive aggressive, people saying what they really think in a horrible, jabbing way rather than actually speaking about how they feel and sorting out issues they have with the people close to them...

The world was a very different place before political correctness kicked in.

People are often too sentimental about their friends and should be more willing to cut people off of they are a drain on you or are toxic.

I'm at a stage in my life where I need to think about this. I have one friend who constantly makes digs at me under no provocation. I shouldn't be on edge around people like that but I am.

There's something weird about men in their 30s and 40s with families playing computer games for hours at a time.
I don't get to use my console as often now but can get a couple of hours in when she goes to bed if I want. I think if folk are on it during the day when their kids are up then they weren't ready for parenthood.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

There's something weird about men in their 30s and 40s with families playing computer games for hours at a time.

Quite a lot of the 'wind-up' / banter I see among friends and family is actually really passive aggressive, people saying what they really think in a horrible, jabbing way rather than actually speaking about how they feel and sorting out issues they have with the people close to them.  It's frightening to see how poorly most people communicate and how selfish and myopic they can be. 

2qbbux2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Scots isn't a language. 

Whit?

P.S. Of course it's not, it's a dialect like Geordie or Scouse. Doric is a language. Scots has been invented to support Ulster Scots in their battle against Irish, to the extent of shutting down Stormont at an incredibly important time.

Edited by welshbairn

There's few things uglier than people who are obsessed with their material possessions, boasting and showing off about them.  There's nothing wrong with having nice things or valuing something but when you make having them a central part of your character and try to use them to make other people feel bad about themselves, it marks you out as lacking.

ETA, that's probably not an unpopular opinion.  You do see a lot of people who behave like this though - as I get older I can't believe the number of grown men I encounter who spend significant parts of their life boasting about their car or their television or their latest holiday.

Edited by ICTChris

There's few things uglier than people who are obsessed with their material possessions, boasting and showing off about them.  There's nothing wrong with having nice things or valuing something but when you make having them a central part of your character and try to use them to make other people feel bad about themselves, it marks you out as lacking.

ETA, that's probably not an unpopular opinion.  You do see a lot of people who behave like this though - as I get older I can't believe the number of grown men I encounter who spend significant parts of their life boasting about their car or their television or their latest holiday.

^^^wants a new car, new TV and nice holiday.

Can kids replace these status symbols? Bit of boasting about how wee Jack or Lily sleeps through the night and has learnt to use the toilet?

Actually, who the f**k boasts about a fucking telly. That man has no penis.

I agree with the point, although if someone has been on a genuinely interesting holiday (like touring South America, not going to Benidorm) then I quite enjoy them talking about it for a bit. 

Can kids replace these status symbols? Bit of boasting about how wee Jack or Lily sleeps through the night and has learnt to use the toilet?

I don't boast about anything I own and I'm in no way materialistic but when it comes to TV's I like Sony and won't buy any other type for my livingroom. I think finding a product you like/prefer is different to what is being discussed here though.
I agree with the point, although if someone has been on a genuinely interesting holiday (like touring South America, not going to Benidorm) then I quite enjoy them talking about it for a bit. 
The nicest place I've been is Cuba. But I've never discussed it any more than say Alcudia. A holiday is for me (and my family). I'll speak about it when I get back and folk ask how it was but outwith that I'll never go on and on. There was a woman at my last place of work who went to Turkey for the last 12 years and would go on and on about it as if it was the first time she'd been. I couldn't care so I assume other folk think that about my holidays and don't go about it.

As if to demonstrate my point, my wee cousin who I'm pretty close to asked me the other day if this holiday will be the first time I've been abroad. She was shocked when I told her I'd been abroad 7 times [emoji38]

Yeah I wasn’t meaning that I enjoyed people wittering on about their holiday when people aren’t interested. Just that if it’s a bit of an unusual holiday I’ll probably ask more about it and actually want them to talk about it incase it’s something I’m interested in doing myself.

Yeah, I'm not talking about people actually have interesting discussions about things or experiences.  I'm not even talking about wanting to have nice things (Sony TV or whatever), it's about showing off and boasting about them.  Your possessions, wealth etc don't make you a good or interesting person, they are nice to haves but aren't the defining element of your personality.

A guy I work with is terrible for it - as someone once said about him, if you say you've been to Tenerife, he's been to Elevenerife.   

Yeah, I'm not talking about people actually have interesting discussions about things or experiences.  I'm not even talking about wanting to have nice things (Sony TV or whatever), it's about showing off and boasting about them.  Your possessions, wealth etc don't make you a good or interesting person, they are nice to haves but aren't the defining element of your personality.
A guy I work with is terrible for it - as someone once said about him, if you say you've been to Tenerife, he's been to Elevenerife.   

Aye I call those people 'Two Shits' - you've just had a dump, they've had two. Funnily enough the woman I mentioned about Turkey is the one from my last workplace. I have one at my current workplace as well. I assume it's a legal requirement for companies to hire at least one?

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

You work with Granny Danger?

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I like talking to my colleagues about their children - if you want to build good relationships with people you should engage with them on what is important to them, and nothing is more important to someone than their children.  I'd rather hear about what someone has done with their kids than have a banal discussion about the news or something like that.

You can get people who boast about their kids though, although being a new father I am maybe a bit more understanding of that.  I was thrilled when my wee man rolled over onto his side for the first time.