Unpopular opinions.

We seem to have the need to label people/things these days. Everything has to be labelled as a certain condition or diagnosis, when the plain truth is some people are fucking stupid. They will make decisions in line with this, its not anybodies fault that they come from a long line of paste eaters and they don't need to be given a nice cuddly label for this just call it as it is. 

We are at a point where reasoned intelligence is being shouted down for fear of upsetting the swathes of f**k wits that walk amongst us. 

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

We seem to have the need to label people/things these days. Everything has to be labelled as a certain condition or diagnosis, when the plain truth is some people are fucking stupid. They will make decisions in line with this, its not anybodies fault that they come from a long line of paste eaters and they don't need to be given a nice cuddly label for this just call it as it is. 

We are at a point where reasoned intelligence is being shouted down for fear of upsetting the swathes of f**k wits that walk amongst us. 

I'm liking how this is a popular sentiment despite no examples being given. Pub car king could be talking about cerebral palsy or making a veiled comment about the inferiority of certain races (please pretend you were, just for the craic).

When I was a kid, it was dyslexics who were routinely classed as thickos by folk who knew more than "experts", so I am curious about which groups are the modern day equivalent.

7 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Paste eaters😆

We now get people who can’t give a reasonable account for their point of view on something, demanding parity with experts because its their “opinion”. Best just to keep Schtum if you don’t know anything.

People spend far too much time talking about things that happen "these days" that aren't a recent occurrence. There used to be a God-botherer on every television programme where serious social issues were being discussed, and the media was swamped with astrologers when I was a kid. Folk have been demanding that their baseless hunches be taken seriously since Utag the Hairy first declared that the sun wouldn't rise outside of his cave in 50,000 BC.

1 minute ago, BTFD said:

I'm liking how this is a popular sentiment despite no examples being given. Pub car king could be talking about cerebral palsy or making a veiled comment about the inferiority of certain races (please pretend you were, just for the craic).

When I was a kid, it was dyslexics who were routinely classed as thickos by folk who knew more than "experts", so I am curious about which groups are the modern day equivalent.

People spend far too much time talking about things that happen "these days" that aren't a recent occurrence. There used to be a God-botherer on every television programme where serious social issues were being discussed, and the media was swamped with astrologers when I was a kid. Folk have been demanding that their baseless hunches be taken seriously since Utag the Hairy first declared that the sun wouldn't rise outside of his cave in 50,000 BC.

Utag the Hairy was the first recorded resident of Greenock so he was right.

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Utag the Hairy was the first recorded resident of Greenock so he was right.

I was literally expecting the first answer to be "Morton fans"...P&B never disappoints!

11 hours ago, BTFD said:

I'm still not all that keen on left handed people being given equal status. 

They are, literally, sinister. 

14 hours ago, BTFD said:

ADHD

Now there are plenty cases where kids have issues but at the previous school there was a family where all five kids were diagnosed. They were just unruly little shits with scumbag parents.

At least by having 'diagnosis' school got money for ASNA to basically chase them around the school while the parents gave it poooorrr wee Jayden and boast about how they were getting a fortune in DLA.

8 hours ago, RH33 said:

ADHD

Now there are plenty cases where kids have issues but at the previous school there was a family where all five kids were diagnosed. They were just unruly little shits with scumbag parents.

At least by having 'diagnosis' school got money for ASNA to basically chase them around the school while the parents gave it poooorrr wee Jayden and boast about how they were getting a fortune in DLA.

I’ve encountered people who tell me their kids have ADHD in a tone that sounds like they think it means “A PhD”. 

No, your kid is a horrible little brat because you’re shit at parenting. 

The deputy leader of Inverclyde Council got a front page splash this week in the local rag for 'bravely disclosing' an ADHD diagnosis. Discarding the usual, unquantifiable bullshit like 'brain fog', the tangible effects of this crippling obstacle amounts to, err, having to take lots of notes at council meetings. 

The reality is that she visited an educational psychologist - psychologists being the lightly regulated, quack discipline of medicine - and got a purely self-affirming 'diagnosis' in exchange for a healthy fee. 

See also the increasingly widespread diagnosis of 'anxiety' - not some demonstrable, extreme anxiety disorder: just generic 'anxiety' in younger people (early 20s and younger) as an Issue Which Needs Accomodation. That generation are only responding naturally to the cues given to them by adult society about how to game the system in their short-term favour and avoid leaving their comfort zone, but are setting themselves up for much greater failure in the future. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

The deputy leader of Inverclyde Council got a front page splash this week in the local rag for 'bravely disclosing' an ADHD diagnosis. Discarding the usual, unquantifiable bullshit like 'brain fog', the tangible effects of this crippling obstacle amounts to, err, having to take lots of notes at council meetings. 

The reality is that she visited an educational psychologist - psychologists being the lightly regulated, quack discipline of medicine - and got a purely self-affirming 'diagnosis' in exchange for a healthy fee. 

See also the increasingly widespread diagnosis of 'anxiety' - not some demonstrable, extreme anxiety disorder: just generic 'anxiety' in younger people (early 20s and younger) as an Issue Which Needs Accomodation. That generation are only responding naturally to the cues given to them by adult society about how to game the system in their short-term favour and avoid leaving their comfort zone, but are setting themselves up for much greater failure in the future. 

I raise you Adjustment Disorder!

11 hours ago, RH33 said:

ADHD

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I’ve encountered people who tell me their kids have ADHD in a tone that sounds like they think it means “A PhD”. 

No, your kid is a horrible little brat because you’re shit at parenting. 

Yip. Have a cousin who's been "diagnosed" with this and it's a lot of shite IMO. Had him round a couple of times to play with my kids and he's absolutely fine behaviour wise (sadly he's about a year behind developmentally). The problem with him is his shit parents and the lack of attention/discipline he receives. He completely wrecked his nursery classroom last year after being asked to put something away (no rules at home due to lazy parenting). His mum was phoned and she went to the classroom and tidied it up. And then after being told he was to go home for the day, I shit you not, she took him for a McDonalds en route home. "Here son, you've behaved appallingly, have a treat". Fucking useless. 

Too many folk are gagging for a diagnosis to cover up the fact they're useless parents. 

Edited by 19QOS19