The Falkirk FC Thread

Not if you can get easily double that living in Rotherham or Doncaster or Hartlepool or Carlisle it ain't

Then we need to be trying to take players from lower levels that aren't on the radar of these clubs, like we did with Lyle Taylor, Will Vaulks or Farid.

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Then we need to be trying to take players from lower levels that aren't on the radar of these clubs, like we did with Lyle Taylor, Will Vaulks or Farid.

I don't think it's in Houstie's nature to take a 'chance' on that type; think he may feel he got his fingers burnt with Taylor Morgan.

I am not disagreeing however the gap has got wider and is getting even wider season by season. You only need look at how few are coming into Scotland at our level to see that.

I know Houston was told about two Portuguese players right at the end of the season identified by an ex player. One a winger and one a right back. Both were affordable. No idea if he took that up. I don't see what harm it would have done to bring them in for a week on trial?

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm more talking about the air of positivity about their club which has resulted in increased season ticket sales and fans actually looking forward to the season ahead. They struggled to stay up last season but you don't hear Ross saying yeah we'll be happy if we avoid relegation again this season. Meanwhile we should be favourites for the league this season but our manager thinks it will be a major achievement  if we reach the playoffs . Theirs no comments from them moaning about budget cuts etc.  The fact that they have the likes of McGinn playing for them now will mean they will undoubtedly be a better side than they were in the first half of last season when they were utter dross.  We ended up 21 points ahead of them last season I'll be very surprised if we're anywhere near that far ahead this season

See you, all you seem to convey in your posts are comments that are twisted to suit your negative agenda. Just read your post back. You are up and down like a brides nightie. You make a point about, how can they have an air of positivity and increased ST sales even though last season they just avoided relegation, without taking into consideration the context in which this was achieved and the fact they were the form team in league for the 2nd half of the season ending on a massive high. And then go on to say, well actually they have McGinn so 'undoubtedly' they are actually going to be better this term, thus answering the point you started off with.

I don't think it's in Houstie's nature to take a 'chance' on that type; think he may feel he got his fingers burnt with Taylor Morgan.

I agree but I don't think we can complain that paying 22 or 23 year olds 30 grand a year isn't enough without chucking in free accommodation, which was my original point.

I also agree with you that St Mirren have signed horrendously. Some real dross there that would've seen Houston castigated.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I also agree with you that St Mirren have signed horrendously. Some real dross there that would've seen Houston castigated.

No way will that post come back to haunt you in August.:lol:

Edited by Gaz FFC

8 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

See you, all you seem to convey in your posts are comments that are twisted to suit your negative agenda. Just read your post back. You are up and down like a brides nightie. You make a point about, how can they have an air of positivity and increased ST sales even though last season they just avoided relegation, without taking into consideration the context in which this was achieved and the fact they were the form team in league for the 2nd half of the season ending on a massive high. And then go on to say, well actually they have McGinn so 'undoubtedly' they are actually going to be better this term, thus answering the point you started off with.

See you Jimmy.Yes they were a better  side in the second half of the season. I was replying to a previous post who was asking me why I thought St Mirren would be any better this season and why they were being so positive after just missing out on relegation last season. There's is  no negativity from their management team . Their aiming to win the league not scrape into the playoffs , not midtable safety no their aiming to win the league.  We should be the same and our management and bod should be putting out the same positive vibes and not simply suggesting making the playoffs is our aim. Of course it would also help if we started showing some positive intent in the way of some decent signings too but perhaps thats stretching things a bit too far..

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I'm more talking about the air of positivity about their club which has resulted in increased season ticket sales and fans actually looking forward to the season ahead. They struggled to stay up last season but you don't hear Ross saying yeah we'll be happy if we avoid relegation again this season. Meanwhile we should be favourites for the league this season but our manager thinks it will be a major achievement  if we reach the playoffs . Theirs no comments from them moaning about budget cuts etc.  The fact that they have the likes of McGinn playing for them now will mean they will undoubtedly be a better side than they were in the first half of last season when they were utter dross.  We ended up 21 points ahead of them last season I'll be very surprised if we're anywhere near that far ahead this season

Jeez, of all the people on this site complaining about an air of negativity around the club I never thought it would be you Shadwell!

Perhaps Houston is a little bit frustrated with the budget he has been given and is trying to lower expectations a little.

Are we not reading just a bit too much into this?

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Jeez, of all the people on this site complaining about an air of negativity around the club I never thought it would be you Shadwell!

Perhaps Houston is a little bit frustrated with the budget he has been given and is trying to lower expectations a little.

Are we not reading just a bit too much into this?

People wonder why fans like me  are negative and then you read that though mate. How do you expect to sell season tickets when you open the paper and read that from the manager. This was supposed to be the season when we had a real chance to go for the title and now its well it would be a bonus if we make the playoffs. I just  hope someone has removed Houstons shoelaces. 

A lot of the meltdowns on this thread over the summer have been hilarious, looking to outsiders like the result of a massively overinflated view of Falkirk's level and the standard of player you can attract - the reactions to the Harris signing, for example - but those comments from Houston are genuinely ridiculous. You have every right to be pissed off and ask why the f**k a manager would make such negative, pessimistic comments at this point of pre-season.

People wonder why fans like me  are negative and then you read that though mate. How do you expect to sell season tickets when you open the paper and read that from the manager. This was supposed to be the season when we had a real chance to go for the title and now its well it would be a bonus if we make the playoffs. I just  hope someone has removed Houstons shoelaces. 

Take the point re the pessimistic nature of the statement but my guess is that Houstie could be indirectly pushing for more cash to buy.

I genuinely believe that we will have the title in mind but knowing our fans if we set that expectation the pressure on the players early doors if we are not at the top will be intolerable.

Other than the impact on one or two who won't buy STs, I can understand trying to take the pressure off the team. A tactic often used by many experienced managers.

I've just renewed with a frown and the phrase oh no what have I done ....

There is an air of depression that hasnt left since the Utd game, we are not far away tho. A smaller squad I think it looks to be but if we get going and a decent striker in, we wont be far away. The lack of a decent striker in and we may re visit Houstie's first season

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

30 grand a year for a young guy living in Falkirk is a very decent wage. Also puts them in the shop window for a bigger move, either back down South or to a top flight Scottish club.

Somebody making 2500 a month can pay 500 of that to rent a decent flat in the area, or in a reasonable area of Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Tax, National Insurance and you're struggling to buy a tert a vodka lemonade in City at night.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

A lot of the meltdowns on this thread over the summer have been hilarious, looking to outsiders like the result of a massively overinflated view of Falkirk's level and the standard of player you can attract - the reactions to the Harris signing, for example - but those comments from Houston are genuinely ridiculous. You have every right to be pissed off and ask why the f**k a manager would make such negative, pessimistic comments at this point of pre-season.

Falkirks level? The eighth best supported team in the country shouldn't have realistic expectations of winning the league below? If we were cannon fodder like Morton with 800 season ticket holders id agree

16 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Take the point re the pessimistic nature of the statement but my guess is that Houstie could be indirectly pushing for more cash to buy.

I genuinely believe that we will have the title in mind but knowing our fans if we set that expectation the pressure on the players early doors if we are not at the top will be intolerable.

Other than the impact on one or two who won't buy STs, I can understand trying to take the pressure off the team. A tactic often used by many experienced managers.

I'dve thought that every single one of us should be looking at us trying to win the league this season . We've had two second place finishes and now there are no teams in the league with massive budget advantages. The Its Our Time advertising pish suggests that too . Whatever happens there will be more pressure on the team to perform this season than any other and quite rightly so .  The fans have been doing their bit for the past 7 years  and surely its not too much to ask for a bit of positivity from the club and bod in words and actions.

Surely the increase in season ticket prices and entry money should reduce any loss from not having Hibs in the league anyway.

We should be looking to sell more season tickets this season than the last two. Not slightly less, not the same but more but we've done absolutely nothing to entice people who haven't bought before to buy one this season. Prices are up, signings have been few and uninspiring and the message from the manager is that it'll be great if we make the playoffs again this season. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, distresseduke said:

Falkirks level? The eighth best supported team in the country shouldn't have realistic expectations of winning the league below? If we were cannon fodder like Morton with 800 season ticket holders id agree

I didn't say you shouldn't be aiming for the title, I'm talking about people who were throwing names like Michael O'Halloran and Gary Mackay-Steven around without a hint of irony.