The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I'm pretty confident we won't go down.

I was 100% the above pre Stenhousemuir, said game I thought we would win quite comfortably 

The result and the aftermath has made me think is this a downward spiral where nothing will go right

Glass as always half full but its typical that this kinda shit happens to teams that never recover from and the worst happens.

Recruitment and gelling as of the go for the majority of the them is key

I don't get all this pessimism tbh. We're only 3 points off 8th and that's with the current  dreadful squad. Absolutely no reason why we can't climb the table if we can get the right quality in January. We also have an outstanding manager now in post so 8th or even higher wouldn't be a shock.

Edited by EdiBairn

Recruitment and gelling as of the go for the majority of the them is key

Is the guy who was in charge of scouting for the summer still involved at Falkirk? Or was he punted alongside Hartley when it became clear how appalling most of your squad were (yes, I’m aware that our team is full of complete dross as well)

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

Is the guy who was in charge of scouting for the summer still involved at Falkirk? Or was he punted alongside Hartley when it became clear how appalling most of your squad were (yes, I’m aware that our team is full of complete dross as well)

punted, thank f**k

Or after we won away to Dunfermline?

We played ok that day and rode our luck but the idea that we would cruise through playoffs against upper end League One opponents is optimistic.

We only need to look through recent seasons to see what teams that did come up, did in this division.

Arbroath are a more than decent side this season, and with a 10 point lead so I doubt we will face them. Most probably we will need to beat the Rovers and one other and that’s hardly a given.

Sounds a lotta shite but was told Dunne away to Sunderland but we are getting Nelson back, Lewis back to Watford([possibly to train till Jan window) and Rangers were trying to get Rudden back early (god knows why as I doubt he will ever play a real competitive game for them)

***trying to get back to fitba !!

9 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

We played ok that day and rode our luck but the idea that we would cruise through playoffs against upper end League One opponents is optimistic.
We only need to look through recent seasons to see that teams that did come up did in this division.
Arbroath are a more than decent side this season, and with a 10 point lead so I doubt we will face them. Most probably we will need to beat the Rovers and one other and that’s hardly a given.

But even if we do finish 9th and play Raith, it won't be with the current squad. Ray's looking to bring in 9 new players in January who should be good enough to beat Raith at least.

But even if we do finish 9th and play Raith, it won't be with the current squad. Ray's looking to bring in 9 new players in January who should be good enough to beat Raith at least.

The last time we targeted to bring in a large number of quality players things did not end well.
We may get 2 or 3 of the nine he targets, but we won’t get them all. Which means that if we do bring in more than three, for example, the remainder will be mediocre at best....

19 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Sounds a lotta shite but was told Dunne away to Sunderland but we are getting Nelson back, Lewis back to Watford([possibly to train till Jan window) and Rangers were trying to get Rudden back early (god knows why as I doubt he will ever play a real competitive game for them)

***trying to get back to fitba !!

Rudden wouldn’t have done any worse than that Sadiq from Roma tbh.

Be gutting to lose him but wouldn’t mind rangers recalling him if they sent Ryan Hardie our way if they can recall him from Livi.

The last time we targeted to bring in a large number of quality players things did not end well.
We may get 2 or 3 of the nine he targets, but we won’t get them all. Which means that if we do bring in more than three, for example, the remainder will be mediocre at best....
You are basing that on the way Hartley fucked up. McKinnon is not Hartley. Anyway I still dont buy the need for 9 players.

McKinnon came in, put Petra up top and he looked a different player. Put Harrison in a back 3 with no Dallison, looks a different player. Likewise Paddy Brough.

IF we get say 4 ir 5 that Ray has identified as the correct level then I think we will do ok. Too many people are focused purely on individuals here but there is team dynamics to think about IE defence can play better if there is a decent keeper behind them, likewise if there is a quality midfiled battler in front of them. Strikers can be miles better with a midfileder who can link up with them etc.

Ray obviously knows best what he needs but you cant ignore that he has got points already out of what he has. I have a hard time seeing any possible scenario where we dont emerge from January with significantly a greater chance to get points in each game.