The Falkirk FC Thread

22 hours ago, MrDust said:

Does it include finishing 7th behind the mighty Brechin, Forfar, Peterhead and Stranraer ?

Our downward spiral might require this info

That season must scar many pars for a lifetime

Pretty much completely forgotten about. 

We were up the top of the league for half the season, for most of the second half we were in the playoffs, was only in the last 5/6 games IIRC we fell out of any promotion possibility all together. I was living down in England so was able to switch off from it pretty successfully. 

I can't stress how shite the league is though, even when you're doing well it's fucking boring, no away supports, no atmosphere. Just shite. 

Superb shithousery from the Falkirk board in getting a soft-soaped 'impending takeover' into the red tops barely 24 hours before a gormless 'fan protest' was scheduled to take place. That's one of the oldest PR tricks in the book. 

A wee listen to the Scott McKenzie interview via walking down hope street guys had me remembering Totten as McKenzie spoke about the admin period of the club.  I met Alex a week or two into the admin at a party,  Alex  being Alex was across speaking to the the four of us whom he knew as Falkirk fans and was asking what we wanted to drink. I said to him we should be buying you drinks in regard to the admin leaving him and players with little income. Alex also helped a lot of our younger players out with money during that period  when they were on 50% wages.

My only criticism of Alex is he hates St Johnstone more than Dunfermline but he still to this day is one of the most enthusiastic persons I have ever met and  a true gentleman and the club is a better place with him being around. 

39 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I can't stress how shite the league is though, even when you're doing well it's fucking boring, no away supports, no atmosphere. Just shite. 

Tbf, that’s exactly what I’m picturing.

Edited by JinkyBairn

42 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

no away supports

can't get much worse, only 2 teams bring more than 400/500 to TFS these days, if you are lucky.

23 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

To be fair to the man, he has ample reasons for hating St Johnstone more than Dunfermline.

Exactly. There’s people in Perth who treated him in a scandalous manner that no DAFC official or fan would ever even contemplate.

Equally, I bought a very nice Triumph Bonneville from a chap in Dunfermline. He threw in a bunch of hard to find 1969 spares too. Really nice guy.

I enjoy the rivalry with DAFC on a football level, but I don’t think I can muster hate for any of them. Even the west coast buck toothed tail of the comet doesn’t make me hate him. Sure, he needs someone to dress him in the mornings, and perhaps run a comb through his hair, but that’s sympathy for what he is, not hatred for who he is.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I think one of our key issues at the moment is a loss of identity. This will lead to fans becoming less and less committed and eventually stop turning up.

If you think Alex Totten is a good example of a hanger you on, you’re probably on your own.

We need to hold onto the last few remaining good things we still have around our club.

The board and mismanagement have already weakened the clubs standing in the community with reactionary strategies....

Ok admittedly I may have over stepped the mark on calling out Totten and if I was wrong then so be it. I just feel we need a total clear out from top to bottom in terms of board room and those associated with MSG. Sorry if I have upset the Alex Totten loyal but unless we have complete change from top to bottom then we will be in the same situation, if not worse, for the next ten years. 

Superb shithousery from the Falkirk board in getting a soft-soaped 'impending takeover' into the red tops barely 24 hours before a gormless 'fan protest' was scheduled to take place. That's one of the oldest PR tricks in the book. 

Won’t wash

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Fair enough. I get your point. If you're referring to those in the boardroom who turn up on a Saturday and have access to free food and drink then I understand it.

However, we've already discussed that. So who are these hospitality hounds & hangers on?

I ask because I genuinely don't think we have any.

From my experience people are either working (paid or unpaid),  

or get free hospitality because they've given a service to the club which has a value greater than what they would pay for hospitality. (ie a tradesman who does £500 of work for free and gets a £40 hospitality meal as a thankyou).

So who are the folk on the gravy train you want rid of?

It's my interpretation of whats going on and what I have heard, I may be wrong but I think it would be very niave to think that there aren't people associated with the current BOD/MSG who take liberties at the club. 

Won’t wash
Best ignored. Same sad act that constantly spouts pish about Morton fans hounding folk out their club, shame games and the like.

If any stock is put into a pishy wee fanbase like theirs, then we will do ok.

#crowdwank
#VTnonce

Ok admittedly I may have over stepped the mark on calling out Totten and if I was wrong then so be it. I just feel we need a total clear out from top to bottom in terms of board room and those associated with MSG. Sorry if I have upset the Alex Totten loyal but unless we have complete change from top to bottom then we will be in the same situation, if not worse, for the next ten years. 

You see I totally disagree with the notion of mass clear outs. All you end up with is a bunch of people you know nothing about and who have little affinity to the club.

It’s the same with supporters and players. You mass clear out and any bond between the two has gone.

I want the figureheads at the board gone, and a new experienced manager in, who can step back and look at what we have and keep some infrastructure (e.g. better players), in place whilst getting rid of the bad wood.

We will not progress upwards if our constant approach is to root out everything from top to bottom.

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

So that makes it right? 

Alex is an employee and is one of three commercial staff at the club.  Taking holidays into account, I'd guess he's either at his desk or on the road selling advertising for around 200-250 days in every year. 

If you genuinely think that equates to "turning up once or twice a season" then you're sadly misinformed.  

He is certainly also at away games, I had the pleasure to walk with him to McDiarmid Park from the car park  during the annual league cup group game this season

His motivational skills in his time with us were never in any doubt, I was a neighbour of some of the squad back then and they would all praise that side of his management 

From what I know via two players, the reason he lost his job was the dressing room split in 2 during the summer of 1992. Despite what was reported in the papers, as results faltered one of the groups managed to convince the Chairman to replace the man who was a big part of our recovery from the dark days of the old division 2 and crowds of under 500.

I know it wont happen as it would undermine the manager but he should have a chat with your team before tomorrows game.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

You see I totally disagree with the notion of mass clear outs. All you end up with is a bunch of people you know nothing about and who have little affinity to the club.

It’s the same with supporters and players. You mass clear out and any bond between the two has gone.

I want the figureheads at the board gone, and a new experienced manager in, who can step back and look at what we have and keep some infrastructure (e.g. better players), in place whilst getting rid of the bad wood.

We will not progress upwards if our constant approach is to root out everything from top to bottom.

My reasoning is that these people have been at the helm of our club for what I think is one of the worst periods in our history. It hase been one bad decision after another and that doesn't just fall to two people. These decisions have to have been approved at Board level and through the MSG therefore they all need to go so we can start again. Absolutley get people in there that have an affinity to the club and football knowledge, but my trust in all that remain has been completley lost.  

My two cents.

A lot of people need to face the wrath of the fans tomorrow and high up among their crimes is overseeing the inception and growth of this rift between club and fans.

In no way can that rift be healed by putting Alex Totten out on his arse. One of the few on the non playing side who carries himself with absolute dignity. We need more like him, not less.

Maggie - " the fans are baying for blood. We need to do something to contain this poisonous atmosphere on Saturday"

Lex - "what about releasing to the press about there being interested parties in a potential takeo...." 

Craig - " say no more I know just the guy " 

4jx07k.jpg

Edited by port-ton

1 hour ago, sick boy said:

can't get much worse, only 2 teams bring more than 400/500 to TFS these days, if you are lucky.

Oh it can, in the season we won the league I think Ayr brought the biggest support of about 200/300, no other team breached 100.

43 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

It's my interpretation of whats going on and what I have heard, I may be wrong but I think it would be very niave to think that there aren't people associated with the current BOD/MSG who take liberties at the club. 

It's possible there are. I don't know. 

The point is that you evidently don't either. You're happy to make scattergun allegations about gravy trains, hospitality hounds and hangers-on, yet when pressed to substantiate them all you seems to be able to offer is a version or "well it might be happening, even though I don't know who, what, when or how. But I heard it from a bloke in the pub so it must be true".

The reason I'm posting about this has nothing to do with the board or MSG, incidentally.

I have a number of friends, both paid staff and volunteers, who work on the top floor on a matchday.  I don't think it's fair to make insinuations which could be seen as targeting them.