The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

All fair enough….except I never said they lacked effort. I was responding to someone who, like so many are happy to exclude the newer players from the same criticism.
I didn’t see a lack of effort, but some players such as Hogarth and Henderson (but in truth pretty much everyone), definitely underperformed, and that wasn’t solely due to one or two players being tried out of position even if it was a factor.
We can talk about our anarchic defence, but we were outplayed in the middle of the park on Saturday with Yeats in the position we all want to see him play and actually I though both he and McGinn were very poor and a big reason why the defence couldn’t cope….

I thought Henderson was utterly brutal. But even that, I have to consider that I am a huge beliver that when you utterly f**k up the balance of the team (McCann) it adversely affects all the others. At the start it looked like we didnt want to even go right with the ball. Instead, checking back and going back across the defence, which in at least once case led to a fucking ludicrous corner given away.  Again though, I am convinced the defence were instructed to try and draw them onto us based ont he mention of the tight pitch, Could be wrong, just my hunch.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that even if many underperformed, it was an absolute revert to type from two who we know arent going to cut it in a race for promotion, or a battle of any sort. Aye there were poor performances, but its fair to say no one elses (especially among the new faces) credit bank is lower than Nesbit or McGuffie, so it correctly them that are being called out. 

2 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

What's Alegria been like?

Hit and miss. Good goal last week, great assist. On Saturday Stevie Bell handled him with ease. In general though, his old up/link play has been decent. Just the occasional game where he seems to get pocketed by his marker. 

3 hours ago, Blame Me said:

It was a poor, probably avoidable result on Saturday. 

McGlynn knows it wasn't good enough and I don't doubt the players will be disappointed but the castigation of everyone - including the usual supsects - is as expected as it is OTT. 

Come on- Nesbitt has had 2 or 3 decent games since last September. After a good performance last week, he was straight back to the usual rubbish.

Again, McGuffie is a player who has not contributed enough this season and last.

The ‘usual suspects’ have consistently produced very little and deserve to be criticised. Particularly when we now have players on the bench who have offers significantly more in their brief appearances.

Not the same but vibes of McGlynn changing everything to fit Henderson in with Sheerin persisting with Ruth when he signed him.

Hoping it was just McGlynn overthinking things and playing the best players for their position this Saturday.

We have a problem on the right if we are playing Morrison on the left. McGuffie so slow, Nesbitt ineffective. In saying that we would have a problem on the left if we played Morrison on the right.

I think our squad depth is greater than Dunfermline, and hoping that tells as the season goes on. But a few problem areas on the park that we need to mitigate.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

In midfield I dont think you can accuse Yeats or McGinn, but they were bullied a bit. Alegria just couldnt get any change out of Stevie Bell physically with balls shelled up to him. That leaves Morrison, from whom there was poor decision making in the second half, and some frustration, but he plugged away. 

And to me that’s scary tbh. Not from Alegria but every coaching team should know that Stevie Bell is pushing 40 and has little pace but we decided to play right into his hands tactically.

I actually do understand the REASONS Mcglynn tinkered. Henderson I thought looked utter class and gave us much needed height in the limited time before his injury. Once he was back fit it was maybe worth trying to get him back in. Mcglynn also correct in that Yeats is a young boy who’s position isn’t RB. Moving him to preferred position makes some sense.

Where I disagree was that it didn’t affect the game (so says Mcglynn). Pish. It was a gamble and it didn’t work. We move on. Unless same mistakes are made again.

Not the same but vibes of McGlynn changing everything to fit Henderson in with Sheerin persisting with Ruth when he signed him.

Hoping it was just McGlynn overthinking things and playing the best players for their position this Saturday.

We have a problem on the right if we are playing Morrison on the left. McGuffie so slow, Nesbitt ineffective. In saying that we would have a problem on the left if we played Morrison on the right.

I think our squad depth is greater than Dunfermline, and hoping that tells as the season goes on. But a few problem areas on the park that we need to mitigate.
Not sure I see it as a straight shoot out between Dunfermline and Falkirk for the league tbh.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

If you think lack of effort was a problem on Saturday, I think you should be castigating the whole team, not just the usual suspects….

Agree, whole team were very poor, but will cut slack with everyone apart from these two, who have had chance after chance to perform in the third tier of Scottish football, but decide to continually cheat us. 

So we do indeed move on. We know that McGuffie and Nesbitt will fail to deliver acceptable performances 75% of the time.

We know that Henderson is some way off being match fit, and it may take him a couple of weeks before he is anything like effective.

We know that McGlynn completely flung McCann under the bus last week which in turn, created an unbalanced and uncertain defence……but McGlynn doesn’t see it that way. If that is the case, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nesbitt and McGuffie in the starting line up, and McCann being benched against Alloa.

The real concern for me was conceding two goals to a team that up to Saturday, had only scored one goal this season.

Last Saturday, we were beaten by the league’s lowest scorers. The week, we play the league’s highest scorers. I just hope that McGlynn accepts privately that he got it badly wrong last week.

2 hours ago, Trump said:

McGlynn has his favourites he even done it with us when players were diabolical and not performing he’d still pick them every week and either refuse to bring them off or try switching positions with them and yous will see that if things start going to shit 

50 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We know that McGlynn completely flung McCann under the bus last week which in turn, created an unbalanced and uncertain defence……but McGlynn doesn’t see it that way.

He’s got history of just shoehorning players in to positions where they aren’t comfortable in and it mucks up the team confidence and how you play, if you get a McGlynn cursed injury crisis don’t be surprised if you see the likes of McGinn at CB or something 

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

He’s got history of just shoehorning players in to positions where they aren’t comfortable in and it mucks up the team confidence and how you play, if you get a McGlynn cursed injury crisis don’t be surprised if you see the likes of McGinn at CB or something 

All managers have favourites and fanny about with teams bemusing fans. Christ even guardiola did it in a champions League final. If you get results in the main you get away with it. Mcglynn still seemed to do a lot better than your latest encumbent mind you.

2 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

McGlynn has his favourites he even done it with us when players were diabolical and not performing he’d still pick them every week and either refuse to bring them off or try switching positions with them and yous will see that if things start going to shit 

Very worrying if true 

We wouldn't have had to play McCann at right back or keep putting Yeats there if we could actually break the habit of seasons on end and sign a capable natural right back. Every time we sign one he's either utterly dugshite and/or injured. I mean how difficult is it.

5 hours ago, Trump said:

We might have bigger squad depth but that doesn't mean we have quality. I might have been misquoted but did McGlynn not say we would be going with a smaller squad but the guys off the bench would be as good if not better than those they are replacing at the start of the season? That really hasn't came to fruition at all in fact I'd say it's the other way round more quantity than quality.