The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Fair do's 

Challenge for us was when we made the step up to the championship,  interesting to see how it goes if and when that happens.  My gut feel is Mcglynn could be the guy to take you up and keep you there - but not the one to progress beyond that.

First things first though, getting us out of this pit of misery is paramount.

We can start thinking beyond that when it’s relevant.

59 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

First things first though, getting us out of this pit of misery is paramount.

We can start thinking beyond that when it’s relevant.

Absolutely, and after tonight’s result it’s increasingly looking like it’s Arbroath or Hamilton in play offs 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Absolutely, and after tonight’s result it’s increasingly looking like it’s Arbroath or Hamilton in play offs 

Fingers crossed it’s Arbroath, Hamilton looking pretty decent on the form table 

Guest Caractacus Potts

To be honest I thought it was common for managers to tell the chairman who they wanted and sit with the chairman/board to thrash out terms. Sure Deans was accused of being partly to blame for the players McGlynn was left with on 2 year deals so was he not involved then!?

I think the 1/2 year thing is hard to be overly critical because if they turn out to be good a 1 year deal looks bad and leaves the club with little chance of gaining money. A 2 year deal for a bad player leaves an issue for the following season for whoever is in charge. It’s unlikely we would have got Jordan Allan for anything but a 2 year deal but I can’t understand signing him when he doesn’t appear to be in McGlynns thoughts even when we’re struggling for goals. 

Spoken about this before but ultimately thought I would think the chairman would still have to decide whether there are any mitigating factors that may affect the club be it unsound from a financial sense, reputation or just illogical. For this board, Finlay Malcolm is definitely one we shouldn’t have signed and Goodwillie should never have been considered. Griffiths was a risk I questioned but could understand it. Those are the only instances that were damaging or illogical. Malcolm wouldn’t have been on much but sure he would still would’ve cost the club the best part of £15k which is money we could ill afford to lose. Other than that their job is to back McGlynn and although I’d question Nesbit getting a 2 year deal there’s no way the board could question that one. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

How about the manager likes him but he's not trained as well as he'd hoped and McGlynn obviously feels there are better options ahead of him at the moment🤷‍♂️

Folk questioning deals and who signs off on them based on what we see on a Saturday when McGlynn has access to all the stats and background is wild but at least it's given me a break from here for a few days until now.

9 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

To be honest I thought it was common for managers to tell the chairman who they wanted and sit with the chairman/board to thrash out terms. Sure Deans was accused of being partly to blame for the players McGlynn was left with on 2 year deals so was he not involved then!?

I think the 1/2 year thing is hard to be overly critical because if they turn out to be good a 1 year deal looks bad and leaves the club with little chance of gaining money. A 2 year deal for a bad player leaves an issue for the following season for whoever is in charge. It’s unlikely we would have got Jordan Allan for anything but a 2 year deal but I can’t understand signing him when he doesn’t appear to be in McGlynns thoughts even when we’re struggling for goals. 

Spoken about this before but ultimately thought I would think the chairman would still have to decide whether there are any mitigating factors that may affect the club be it unsound from a financial sense, reputation or just illogical. For this board, Finlay Malcolm is definitely one we shouldn’t have signed and Goodwillie should never have been considered. Griffiths was a risk I questioned but could understand it. Those are the only instances that were damaging or illogical. Malcolm wouldn’t have been on much but sure he would still would’ve cost the club the best part of £15k which is money we could ill afford to lose. Other than that their job is to back McGlynn and although I’d question Nesbit getting a 2 year deal there’s no way the board could question that one. 

I think the signings of Wright and Allan made sense in as much as they give us 4 different types of striker so increase the options that McGlynn has. We then went on a good run with Oliver up top on his own with Burrell (mostly) getting some late action and the other two getting a lot less. We've now managed to stop scoring yet he seems reluctant to try anything different (with the Clyde game being the ideal opportunity to do so) so, from that point of view, the signings seem to have been a bit of a waste of time.

Dunfermline will sit in and try to hit us on the break on Saturday. Gary Oliver will huff and puff against their two CHs while trying to get our wingers involved but the chances of getting anything out of that will be slim. I almost hope that Kennedy doesn't make it because he'll surely not start McGuffie again and that may make him start with two up front.

Kinnear

Rowe, Donaldson, McKay, McCann

Morrison, McGinn, Henderson, Kucheriavyi

Burrell, Oliver

I'd go with this whether Kennedy's fit or not but he'll not drop Nesbitt I don't think.

47 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think the signings of Wright and Allan made sense in as much as they give us 4 different types of striker so increase the options that McGlynn has. We then went on a good run with Oliver up top on his own with Burrell (mostly) getting some late action and the other two getting a lot less. We've now managed to stop scoring yet he seems reluctant to try anything different (with the Clyde game being the ideal opportunity to do so) so, from that point of view, the signings seem to have been a bit of a waste of time.

Dunfermline will sit in and try to hit us on the break on Saturday. Gary Oliver will huff and puff against their two CHs while trying to get our wingers involved but the chances of getting anything out of that will be slim. I almost hope that Kennedy doesn't make it because he'll surely not start McGuffie again and that may make him start with two up front.

Kinnear

Rowe, Donaldson, McKay, McCann

Morrison, McGinn, Henderson, Kucheriavyi

Burrell, Oliver

I'd go with this whether Kennedy's fit or not but he'll not drop Nesbitt I don't think.

I like the look of that team, I’d maybe be tempted to try Lawal instead of Max as he is something of an unknown for the Pars. Happy to start with Max though and introduce Ola through the game.

15 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

TBF on McGlynn the only two signings he has made that have not had an impact have been Allan and Wright. The rest have all worked for us and Allan may also do fine in time. 

While McGlynns signings have improved us, if we don't go up they've not been a success.  

31 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I'd say going from 6th to potentially 2nd is a success, of course its the least we wouldve expected at the start of the season

It would be closer to being a success if we took the title race to the last day. For it to be virtually gone with 20% of the season remaining is very dissappointing. Dunfermline haven't done anything remarkable apart from be consistent. Something we have failed to do for 4 years now.

46 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I'd say going from 6th to potentially 2nd is a success, of course its the least we wouldve expected at the start of the season

Improving on one of the worst league finishes in the club’s history is a bare minimum expectation, not a success