The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Anyone remember from their youth days (I'm going back to 80s here) going down to Brockville to be able to watch pre season training and down with the autograph books ?

and given the past if you were that age again who's autograph would you go for ? although given some of the past comments I think security would be needed and it wouldn't be the autograph they would be going for ..lol

In the 60-70's it was the Bleachfield. The session would end with them running up to the Dollar Park across to Arnothill - Cockburn Street - Hope Street - Brockville.

Some of the players used to nip along Burnfoot Lane and wait at the Barr's factory and tag on at the back after the rest had passed.

How times have changed.

4 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Didn't I see a mad stat that McBreen finished top scorer ahead of Cummings in the season just finished in Australia.  

No mcbreen holds the record for the most goals scored in an A league season in 12/13 which Cummings equalled this season.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Burrell is only 22 but has already played for 6 different clubs . Perhaps a reason why he's only ended up at cove despite being available for nothing. 

I still think we'll bring a loan striker in towards the end of the window

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

In the 60-70's it was the Bleachfield. The session would end with them running up to the Dollar Park across to Arnothill - Cockburn Street - Hope Street - Brockville.

Some of the players used to nip along Burnfoot Lane and wait at the Barr's factory and tag on at the back after the rest had passed.

How times have changed.

It was waiting on the players getting close to the side to hand over your autograph book.

Wonder if anyone has any kicking about from the past as memories from then

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Spencer & Lang will have no doubt took out fair bit of the budget so we may not get to the 22 man squad but if we do I'm hoping for another centre mid & striker on top of the back up keeper and right back we've still to get.

I think it is already public knowledge the plan is 19/20 full time players and the rest loans. 

27 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

be down to 704 when 700 gets her new top .. 😁

hope not. Bairns aren’t that dodgy! 🙀

FSS have added 50 new members since the Fan Bank loan announcement - almost as many as when the fan led Board sacked Holt. 

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

A good day all round then you should have stuck a lottery ticket on ..lol

No I mean up there in comparison to the feeling - the kids are a few years old now!

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Was doing the rounds before Christmas. 

First I’ve heard of it on here. If unfounded or true then probably best not shared on public platforms like this as either unfairly questions a persons personality or dissolves the trust of the dressing room.

At the end of the day too it makes no sense as our club captain shared a dressing room with him for a year and seem to remember it being said he recommended Burrell to the manager. Also if true then doesn’t make McGlynn look good as he signed him, continued to play him and wasn’t able to stop these rumours from surfacing.

Would think the club wouldn’t be keen on these things being said online whether true or not. 

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL

Most supporters will agree it’s been an excellent few weeks since the season ended in such disappointment. We’ve signed some exciting new players, retained the best of our squad and there are likely to be new additions in the next few weeks as the players return to training.

The announcement of the £350,000 interest free loan that FSS negotiated from the Scottish government has meant the club can replace the tiring pitch and new floodlights are currently being installed (which is necessary to allow certain live tv games and access to higher divisions as well as making it easier to watch night games). Importantly this investment in infrastructure will benefit the local community through the Falkirk Foundation where over 350 children, women and older people use the pitch 360 days out of each year. The rest of the money will help the progression of youth development at the club. Additionally by helping fund these aspects of the club’s budget, the money indirectly frees up funds for the playing budget.

FSS is now recognised as the club’s official supporters' organisation and it will soon hold around 26% of all available shares in Falkirk FC. The two Fan Directors have also been legally confirmed as permanent voting members of the Board of Directors by the club.

And even with the loan, 80% of all income to FSS is still being donated to the club and only a fifth going to repay the government and that not before August 2024!

Moreover there has been a boost to FSS membership numbers since the loan announcement and we are very close to 700 members raising approx £8,300 a month. We started with around 400 at launch so FSS is slowly growing. STOP PRESS: SEE STORY BELOW!

The new home strip was launched this week and most supporters think they are the best tops for many years (with a hint of favourite strip designs from the past being incorporated into the design). The commercial department seem to be doing well with sponsors and new ideas for fundraising.

So there seem to be reasons to be cheerful (parts one, two and three). Let’s keep it up, let’s get season tickets sold and look forward to the first friendlies (Bonnyrigg away on the 5th July) and the League Cup rounds against Dundee United, Spartans, Peterhead and Partick Thistle - another draw that could have been much harder for us if we had been unlucky! COYB.

VICTORY - CONFERENCE LEAGUE PROPOSALS DROPPED

Last month the club and ourselves asked what FSS members thought of the SFA proposals for a new Conference League which would effectively demote over 200 teams and establish B-teams permanently in the League structure.

260 members voted and it was overwhelming - only 6 people voted in favour of this Old Firm inspired idea. The club announced that they would follow the membership poll and vote no to the idea at the SFA AGM.

However with almost unanimous opposition to the idea from all over Scottish football, rather than be embarrassed, the SFA announced it would not be going ahead with the idea and dropped the resolution. Fan power won the day. And now Rangers have announced that their B-team will not be playing in the Lowland League and it’s pretty likely that Celtic will do the same.

Thanks for voting - you played your part.

Brockville Bar on 1st September 2023 at 7pm

Members meeting

The FSS committee has agreed that there will be a FSS members' only meeting in the Brockville Bar on 1st September 2023 at 7pm. That meeting will be mostly to discuss how the money FSS raises should be spent with the club now we have reached 26% of the shareholding. Do we simply donate the money and say to the club that we’d like to see it spent in particular areas or should we ask the club to issue further shares that we can continue to buy (others would also be open to buy shares in that case)? Come and have your say. 

We would also hope to have a club speaker at that event and plan to hold further public meetings during the season for members. Details to be announced.

STOP PRESS - NOW WE ARE 700 AND COMPETITION WINNER

Over the last week Falkirk Supporters Society ran a competition via our social media accounts to try and help us hit our target of 700 members. The club kindly donated a prize of the new home top (which we hope you agree is one of the best in a while) to lucky number 700. We are delighted to announce that as of today we have exceeded our target and our membership numbers stand at 705 and the winner of the prize is Marion Caldwell. Congratulations Marion we will arrange collection. Thank you for your support, retweets, likes and shares. 

We are also delighted to announce the return of our monthly prize draw which will be announce on Falkirk Daft towards the end of July. Top prize for this month's draw will be a brand new away top and we hope to announce more prizes in the coming weeks. Again thank you for your continued support and we are excited about the season ahead.

FALKIRK SUPPORTERS' SOCIETY

71 Morningside Street

Glasgow

You received this email as a member of FSS

3 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

We've signed countless proven goalscorers over the years.  Coyle, Baird, Mo Johnston & Cadette are 4 that come immediately to mind but there are plenty more.  Roman Wallner on paper arguably the best of the lot given his age and the level he'd been at (and would go onto again).  Bizarre what went on there.   

Roman Wallner not getting games for us then popping off to the Champions League to bag a few was proper Twilight Zone stuff.

5 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

I think the commercial/retail team have done brilliantly in the last 12 months since coming on board.

Aye well I certainly came away with a big pile of stuff I didn't need. It wasn't like the dogs were eating off the floor before today.

IMG-20230617-WA0012.jpg

Edited by Rizzo

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

It was waiting on the players getting close to the side to hand over your autograph book.

Wonder if anyone has any kicking about from the past as memories from then

Was never into autographs but happy memories standing at the Bleachfield Pavilion watching them train and have a bounce game at the end.

Strange how small snippets from 50 odd years ago can be triggered from the depths of your mind.

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Was never into autographs but happy memories standing at the Bleachfield Pavilion watching them train and have a bounce game at the end.

Strange how small snippets from 50 odd years ago can be triggered from the depths of your mind.

I dare some of the young ones at the games have those players that are a favourite but none of the current ones prob with the exception of McGinn would be in the likes of your Baptie, Geordie Watson, Roddy Manley, Alan Irvine, Alex Rae,  Andy Nicol etc

2 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

I love how Burrell being a huffy b*****d has suddenly become McGlynns fault. Outstanding logic. 

Burrell being a huffy b*****d is conjecture at this moment but if true I’m sure it would’ve been known before he signed. Football is a small industry and McGlynn will do his homework. I find it unlikely he would sign a disruptive influence, particularly one without  a proven record, so probably  best to leave the chat about that in the pub. 

Edited by Van_damage