The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, RC55 FFC said:

How did today go for those who attended? 

Was a great day indeed Ross.   Watching the training, team came round to the front of the stand for those who wanted autographs and pictures.   Then q. and a. up in the Brockville Bar.   Changed days indeed - a relaxed and informative atmosphere !

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

Tom Lang looks like a big solid centre half. He scored a cracker during one game at the end and cleared one off the line later on which I particularly liked. 

My main observation - and it could be the absence of Hendo today - but we don't seem to have much physicality in the middle of the pitch though happy to be corrected. 

Yes Tom Lang (and Brad Spencer) look like cracking signings. I think our main issue may be keeping Lang fit but fingers crossed. We do lack physicality in the midfield or even someone like Tom Tawio that will just run about all day and break up play. Not convinced Hendo is a CDM as he just dosent seem to have the engine to play there. However, I think Hendo Spencer and Lawal in the midfield would be more than capable of taking us out of this league. Finlay Robertson of Dundee and Alan Delferriere of Hibs would be two ideal candidates to play that CDM role imo. 

10 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Personal highlight was asking the board to outline their plans which ensure that every player we sign is also a fan of the club 

I like it Athletic Falkirk Bilbao has a ring to it. We would do well in the local Sunday amateurs and I’m sure the Victoria Park could take our massive support.

6 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Yes Tom Lang (and Brad Spencer) look like cracking signings. I think our main issue may be keeping Lang fit but fingers crossed. We do lack physicality in the midfield or even someone like Tom Tawio that will just run about all day and break up play. Not convinced Hendo is a CDM as he just dosent seem to have the engine to play there. However, I think Hendo Spencer and Lawal in the midfield would be more than capable of taking us out of this league. Finlay Robertson of Dundee and Alan Delferriere of Hibs would be two ideal candidates to play that CDM role imo. 

We have spencer, Mcginn, Henderson, Yeats and Carroll who can play cdm. Any more money spent on that position would be a monumental waste of budget. 

4 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

That's a very short-sighted view though. With the aim of being in the Championship in the near future it isn't going to dwarf everybody in that league. 

Outside investment is still very important. That is why we went with a "3-legged stool" approach to fan ownership.

Do you know who this quest for outside investment, despite your existing advantages, makes you sound like?

You surely don't need it spelled out?

Every club would benefit from someone giving them gifts.  The thing that makes Falkirk's prolonged stay at this level notable, is that the club is relatively big, with pretty good crowds - I'm sure I've seen them mentioned.

The club just needs to operate within its means, but wisely.  Doing that would place Falkirk in the sort of 'upper Championship / lower top flight' zone that its size would suggest should be home.

Lack of resources is not the reason that Falkirk is where it is as a club.  Stop pursuing something you don't need.  How the Hell do you think the other clubs down here hope to proceed?

11 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

We have spencer, Mcginn, Henderson, Yeats and Carroll who can play cdm. Any more money spent on that position would be a monumental waste of budget. 

I would have to strongly disagree for a few different reasons. We don’t have a typicalCDM that is physical and can break up play. Spencer and McGinn like to get on the ball and pass. Hendo is a CB by nature and although I think he plays decent at times CDM both him and McGinn got absolutely ran over in the midfield by Airdrie. Hendo could also very well form a partnership with Lang. Some very serious question marks of Donaldson. Yeats very similar to McGinn and Spencer and does not have the physicality required. I really like the look of Carroll. However, he’s 17 and absolutely tiny. I think a physical CDM would can naturally play that position is 100% required.

Edited by Big chungus

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Do you know who this quest for outside investment, despite your existing advantages, makes you sound like?

You surely don't need it spelled out?

Every club would benefit from someone giving them gifts.  The thing that makes Falkirk's prolonged stay at this level notable, is that the club is relatively big, with pretty good crowds - I'm sure I've seen them mentioned.

The club just needs to operate within its means, but wisely.  Doing that would place Falkirk in the sort of 'upper Championship / lower top flight' zone that its size would suggest should be home.

Lack of resources is not the reason that Falkirk is where it is as a club.  Stop pursuing something you don't need.  How the Hell do you think the other clubs down here hope to proceed?

You've got the totally wrong end of the stick. There is no "quest" for outside investment. We aren't actively looking for that. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't ever entertain the notion that an external party would want to invest in the club. 

Really odd comment to say "stop pursuing something you don't need.". Literally every club in Scotland outside Celtic could probably do with a bit more cash. 

4 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

I would have to strongly disagree for a few different reasons. We don’t have a typicalCDM that is physical and can break up play. Spencer and McGinn like to get on the ball and pass. Hendo is a CB by nature and although I think he plays decent at times CDM both him and McGinn got absolutely ran over in the midfield by Airdrie. Hendo could also very well form a partnership with Lang. Some very serious question marks of Donaldson. Yeats very similar to McGinn and Spencer and does not have the physicality required. I really like the look of Carroll. However, he’s 17 and absolutely tiny. I think a physical CDM would can naturally play that position is 100% required.

In an ideal world possibly but the squad is fairly large already and any money left needs to be put into RB and striker/attacking mid

6 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

In an ideal world possibly but the squad is fairly large already and any money left needs to be put into RB and striker/attacking mid

I would agree that the number one priority is a right back. After that a CDM would be the most important position for reasons just listed above. We have 4 strikers on the books - Allan, MacIver, Oliver and Ageyman. If we are going to play with one striker (like we did all of last season and like Mcglynn done throughout his time at Raith) then I would argue singing a 5th striker is far less of a priority than getting a CDM. We also have lawal, nesbitt and Oliver that can play that attacking mid/ #10 role.

3 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

I would agree that the number one priority is a right back. After that a CDM would be the most important position for reasons just listed above. We have 4 strikers on the books - Allan, MacIver, Oliver and Ageyman. If we are going to play with one striker (like we did all of last season and like Mcglynn done throughout his time at Raith) then I would argue singing a 5th striker is far less of a priority than getting a CDM. We also have lawal, nesbitt and Oliver that can play that attacking mid/ #10 role.

We've seen him experiment between 2 up front first half and 1 up front second half in the games we've seen so far so may well be 2 up.

2 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Sounded like from the Q and A that McGlynn will get the full year no matter how poorly we will get. I rated that question from the guy.

Not what I took from their answer.

It was a diplomatic 'if we got to the point that we were struggling it would assessed'. They then caveated that by saying the assessment hypothetical could show that McGlynn was still the best option.

3 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Not what I took from their answer.

It was a diplomatic 'if we got to the point that we were struggling it would assessed'. They then caveated that by saying the assessment hypothetical could show that McGlynn was still the best option.

I don’t agree. How can a manager who is completely off track of his remit be the best option? That sounded like “we can’t afford to sack him so we’ll keep him”.

40 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

You've got the totally wrong end of the stick. There is no "quest" for outside investment. We aren't actively looking for that. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't ever entertain the notion that an external party would want to invest in the club. 

Really odd comment to say "stop pursuing something you don't need.". Literally every club in Scotland outside Celtic could probably do with a bit more cash. 

Well the post (not yours) that I originally responded to said: "Club needs outside investment to supplement the fans and patrons"

I just think this is daft.  Falkirk is a massive club in its current surroundings, and would still be a big one in the tier above.

I don't think more money should be necessary at all.  Wanting more while already hugely outstripping your rivals is a bit ridiculous, and reminiscent of OF fans.