The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

But that isn’t and won’t be the case regardless of what division we are in, please show me a quote from the club to this effect? You’re literally just making shit up now! I heard talk of a possible hybrid set up  at the AGM but that’s it. 

Read the last supporters update. It says the only reason we are full time this season is the cup run and FSS money.  If there's no cup run, external investment, promotion or a tangible increase in FSS membership this season then we won''t be full time next season.  Then there will need to be some hard choices made about whether the funding for the 'academy' continues as it is.

Much improved performance today. Glad to see a bit more urgency to our play and a willingness to mix it up at times rather than constant sideways passing.

Agyeman and Maciver best for me although there were no bad performances (perhaps other than Long). We need to see this type of performance continue rather than reverting to type.

I think a midfield of either McGinn or Spencer with the likes of Yeats, Oliver, Lawal, Nesbitt etc providing the energy is the way ahead. Even put Hendo in there when more caution is needed. 

What I saw of the game today though we looked really decent and can take a lot of heart going into our league campaign. 

Edited by Harry Kinnear

3 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Just looked at the league cup table on BBC News and on the SPFL site and it’s got us on 4 points, are we not on 5 points. Was just trying to work out what we need to get through.

We are indeed on 5 points. The BBC often put the draw (after winning on penalties) as 1 point. They did the same last year. A win against Peterhead should put us through I would have thought?

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

We are indeed on 5 points. The BBC often put the draw (after winning on penalties) as 1 point. They did the same last year. A win against Peterhead should put us through I would have thought?

Not sure 8 points will be enough, more than capable of taking points off Utd though

Excellent performance . Thought Lang was a colossus at the back. Just what we've needed. MacIver led the line well and Alfie was tremendous. Spencer had a cracking game before taking one for the team.  Long I'm afraid won't do .  He did well in the pen shoot out but we were fortunate that he didn't gift them more goals during the 90.  Great fight and determination shown by all . Their two fullbacks had a torrid time in the first half and Alfie then ran their big centreback ragged once he moved into the middle.  Things coming along but still early days. Ref was abysmal as per the norm. Their keeper handled outside the box and he continually gave soft free kicks against us whilst ignoring them the other way.

3 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Fantastic performance and really enjoyable game.

McGinn and Spencer absolutely can play in midfield together, Ageymang had them on toast and Tom Lang is excellent.

Well done to the players and the fans today 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Would have to disagree about McGinn and Spencer playing in the same team. McGinn looks and done and yes it worked well today but it’s not in previous games.

I liked how quick and efficient Long was getting the ball out but unfortunately you're going to get caught out at some point when you play that way.

Again need to see it back but from the angle on Falkirk TV Long looks to have set up the wall up on one side of the goal then gave Graham the full of the other side to aim at as he stood in the middle of the goals, was always going to be one result.

Excellent response to going down to 10 men and conceding though, was just finished pleading with Agyeman to have a bit of end product and he goes and produces that bit of magic. 

"Come on Agye you can't just continue beating 3 men then doing nothing with it" Agyeman scores.

My three concerns were the goalie, Brad Mckay and the amount of crosses we didn't stop from coming in. Block the cross, block the cross! That being said Lang & Donaldson won near enough everything all day.

Walked out of there pretty heartened, although not sure I’d have said that if we lost the shootout!

First 30 mins was nothing short of excellent, could have been 2 or even 3 nil up. Mcginn and spencer with the freedom of firhill to spray it to whoever they fancied. Donaldson and Lang also using it pretty well from the back. Good goal, but then we reverted to type a bit and they had the last of the ten mins where they could’ve equalised with a back post header and some pressure. Agyeman (for what is going to be a common theme) excited and then mostly frustrated. He also struggled defensively positioning wise which isn’t ideal when young Finn needs help. 

Second half less of the ball, and when we had it thought we needed to use it better. Maciver was doing well with any scraps fed to him - he has the Oliver intelligence but better in the air. I thought we were looking fairly calm in the 5 mins prior to the Long calamity. Awful pass when he had options to his right or a punt. He was then badly out of position from the resulting free kick. After that we were somehow the better team for 5 mins and Agyeman with a goal of the season contender already. He’ll really frustrate imo but in the right games and circumstances let’s hope he can make the difference. After that we defended the box well - Lang is a proper defender, really really like the look of him. Unfortunate goal to lose, no one was defending the edge of the box - maybe meant to be Lawal’s job from what I could see - but we dug deep and showed some balls in the pens, and the keeper slightly redeemed himself. 

Just now, Big chungus said:

Would have to disagree about McGinn and Spencer playing in the same team. McGinn looks and done and yes it worked well today but it’s not in previous games.

I thought they were both excellent today. It's a horses for courses thing if you ask me. Open games like today it worked well but if your playing a stuffy side with ten men behind the ball then no need for both of them playing.

On 25/05/2023 at 14:06, Rugster said:

Kept a vague eye in his career as hes the nephew of a friend of my wife and I like this signing. 

Just like to quote this with a f**k you to everyone who wrote the boy off before he’d even kicked a ball for us. 

Wasn’t at the game but good result. Looking forward to the game on Tuesday. Promising to have some of our new attackers with some goals to their name. Can only help confidence. 

3 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

It’s all about opinions Chungus 👍🏻

I tend to agree with Chungus but I do agree it’s all about opinions. I concede it might work in some games and not in others, I just hope McGlynn realises this and rests McGinn from time to time.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I tend to agree with Chungus but I do agree it’s all about opinions. I concede it might work in some games and not in others, I just hope McGlynn realises this and rests McGinn from time to time.

Well Spencer certainly won’t be playing on Tuesday so it’s out of the manager’s hands this time. 

38 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Not sure 8 points will be enough, more than capable of taking points off Utd though

Partick can only get to 9 points and United can only reach 6 so a point (or two£  off United and a win v Peterhead would be enough. Not sure what happens if both teams finish on same points right enough.