The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

If you do sack McGlynn where do you go next, Yogi?

McCall would top my list but nothing is gonna happen anytime soon

13 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You honestly think that we could afford Jack Ross?

can we afford Ross Jack ?

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I was at most of the home games in the 70's. I remember great crowds at the start of the decade to three men, their sister and a dug in the middle to late 70's some games.  I exaggerate of course but some games must have been less than 1000.  

It was the most miserable time mid 70's early 80's at Brockville some crowds were 500 odd

Question I wonder is what would it take for McGlynns contact to be extended beyond the end of the season? Would winning promotion be enough? 

Edited by Van_damage

11 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

You’d need to.  If Dougie Imrie ever gets anywhere near Falkirk I’m handing in my season ticket.

3 games in, this chat is horrendous.  “Sack the manager”.  Ffs

We employed Steven Pressley and Paul Hartley as managers, two of the most hated men in Scottish football. 

Can Dougie Imrie be much worse? 

7 minutes ago, MrDust said:

McCall would top my list but nothing is gonna happen anytime soon

can we afford Ross Jack ?

I was told some time ago, think it was around the Sheerin and Rennie disasters, that McCall wouldn't come because of the impatience and hostility of the fans. No idea if that was true however. He seems to come with a bit of baggage now too.

6 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Question I wonder is what would it take for McGlynns contact to be extended beyond the end of the season? Would winning promotion be enough? 

It would concern me that the board may consider him to be a 'safe pair of hands' in the Championship. I think he'd keep us safe but I don't think he would get us anywhere near challenging at the top. If  he gets us promoted, I think we should say 'thanks for everything, but farewell' come the end of his contract.

33 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I was told some time ago, think it was around the Sheerin and Rennie disasters, that McCall wouldn't come because of the impatience and hostility of the fans. No idea if that was true however. He seems to come with a bit of baggage now too.

Firstly, talk of sacking McGlynn at this juncture 3 games into a season is absolutely mental to the point I’m not even sure if some are just trolling…….On Jobby, he’s knocked us back twice since doing the dirty on us and leaving for Dundee united in the manner that he did. Ian McCall can get to f**k, going cap in hand to him would be embarrassing. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

It would concern me that the board may consider him to be a 'safe pair of hands' in the Championship. I think he'd keep us safe but I don't think he would get us anywhere near challenging at the top. If  he gets us promoted, I think we should say 'thanks for everything, but farewell' come the end of his contract.

Or perhaps a year of consolidation might not be a bad thing pending who else is in the division at the time. I find it hard to believe any club sacks a manager for performance related reasons after winning a league. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Firstly, talk of sacking McGlynn at this juncture is absolutely mental to the point I’m not even sure if some are just trolling…….On Jobby, he’s knocked us back twice since doing the dirty on us and leaving for Dundee united in the manner that he did. Ian McCall can get to f**k, going cap in hand to him would be embarrassing. 

I wouldn't sack him now either, but I assume you weren't referring to me?

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Or perhaps a year of consolidation might not be a bad thing pending who else is in the division at the time. I find it hard to believe any club sacks a manager for performance related reasons after winning a league. 

It would depend. If he gets us playing good football and we won the league with ease then I would, possibly against my better judgement, maybe want him to stay. If we do go up though, I think it'll be via fits and starts performances and that would colour my opinion against him.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I wouldn't sack him now either, but I assume you weren't referring to me?

It would depend. If he gets us playing good football and we won the league with ease then I would, possibly against my better judgement, maybe want him to stay. If we do go up though, I think it'll be via fits and starts performances and that would colour my opinion against him.

I wasn’t referring to you no, I realised you hadn’t been talking about sacking him at this juncture but were replying to those who have. 

Had a quick glance back at the forum after the first game of season 2019/20. There were shouts to remove McKinnon after the first match and not one person was told they’re talking nonsense. Different circumstances but is funny to see how things change. Definitely seems to be a polarising on this forum as to what opinions anyone is allowed to have. 

As it is, I think if we were going to get rid of McGlynn then it would need to have been during the Summer. He’s had a budget though and brought in his own players so unless it suddenly seems he’s getting nothing out of the team then it would seem more sensible to keep him in place for at least the first quarter. Doesn’t seem we can afford to bring in anyone else either so need to give him a chance to do what he can with the new players he’s brought in. 

I think he gets the first round of fixtures, that should give an indication of how we are going to fare. Ideally you want to be sitting top of the pile but if we are only a couple points behind I think he stays. If however we are something like 8 or 9 points adrift then i think the board would need to be seriously considering there options. Even 6 points might be difficult to claw back, we couldn't do it last season when Dunfermline were top of the league. I don't think this is a season when we can afford him a second bite at getting us up via the playoffs either. It's his record of actually getting promotions that's a concern, he's done it twice and one was handed to him via COVID curtailing the season. 

31 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Had a quick glance back at the forum after the first game of season 2019/20. There were shouts to remove McKinnon after the first match and not one person was told they’re talking nonsense. Different circumstances but is funny to see how things change. Definitely seems to be a polarising on this forum as to what opinions anyone is allowed to have. 

As it is, I think if we were going to get rid of McGlynn then it would need to have been during the Summer. He’s had a budget though and brought in his own players so unless it suddenly seems he’s getting nothing out of the team then it would seem more sensible to keep him in place for at least the first quarter. Doesn’t seem we can afford to bring in anyone else either so need to give him a chance to do what he can with the new players he’s brought in. 

What concerns me is the fact he continues to play Oliver and Mcginn. We heard mumblings that they both activated extensions in their contracts rather than the club offering to keep them. I think there is a job for Mcginn in the team but not every week, but i just can't see us winning the league with Oliver as a starter and the constant 1 up top formation. 

I don't think it's time to sack the manager... Yet, but i would like to see him change things and not start every game with the same slow and safe play. 

6 minutes ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

I don't think it's time to sack the manager... Yet, but i would like to see him change things and not start every game with the same slow and safe play. 

I think thats the problem. First 10 minutes we go gung ho.....and look great. If we don't score we revert back to the tippy tappy across the back, looking for an opening that invariably doesn't occur.  When that happens we hope there isn't a calamity at the back. After that, it's anyones guess what will happen. 

9 minutes ago, falkirkbairn23 said:

Assume no changes tonight from the previous lineups

Oliver is fit again don't be surprised if he's in the starting line up. Just aswell we weren't playing on Saturday as McGlynn reckoned Donaldson wouldn't have made it, which would probably have meant McKay at centre half so I spose we can be thankful for small mercies. 

Edited by ebobsboy

11 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Agree with this.

McGlynn can spot a player, I don't think anyone would disagree with that because the squad is much stronger now than it was when he arrived. It's what he's doing with them that concerns me a bit. For example, due to injury and suspension, he was forced to put out a 4-4-2 against Annan (or so I thought) because that was the sensible thing to do with the players he had available. However, instead of having left winger Miller on the left wing and playing Agyeman through the middle with McIver, he insisted on the one up front again with Miller playing behind. This was against Annan, at home, not Celtic away FFS! I can see him being just as cautious tonight as SA would appear to be better than Annan are but I just hope he doesn't feel the need to bring Nesbitt or Oliver in from the start. Same personnel John please but just go 4-4-2 and go for it!

I think it would be daft to sack him just now, win tonight or not, as we haven't got the cash to do it and, frankly, it would be madness at this early stage anyway. Only option I can think of re replacing him if things don't work out would be to put him on gardening leave and let Smith run things.

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Agree with this.

McGlynn can spot a player, I don't think anyone would disagree with that because the squad is much stronger now than it was when he arrived. It's what he's doing with them that concerns me a bit. For example, due to injury and suspension, he was forced to put out a 4-4-2 against Annan (or so I thought) because that was the sensible thing to do with the players he had available. However, instead of having left winger Miller on the left wing and playing Agyeman through the middle with McIver, he insisted on the one up front again with Miller playing behind. This was against Annan, at home, not Celtic away FFS! I can see him being just as cautious tonight as SA would appear to be better than Annan are but I just hope he doesn't feel the need to bring Nesbitt or Oliver in from the start. Same personnel John please but just go 4-4-2 and go for it!

I think it would be daft to sack him just now, win tonight or not, as we haven't got the cash to do it and, frankly, it would be madness at this early stage anyway. Only option I can think of re replacing him if things don't work out would be to put him on gardening leave and let Smith run things.

Agree with this. I think he’s brought in decent players. Spencer looks a touch of class on the ball. Would only question the need for him when we have McGinn and no right back or combative midfielder but certainly a very good player. 

Ageyman is the kind of player I love, just like Morrison who I feel gets unnecessary stick when he’s practically the same type of player. 

Miller looks a good addition but again would question his need when we re-signed Nesbitt. 

McIver I also like. Missed a player who can get the kind of scrappy goals he gets. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time and gives defenders a real handful in the air. 

Lang looks solid but he’s not the leader I hoped he would be. If he was alongside a McCracken or Den Bieman type then think he’d be excellent. Not sure his positional sense is what it should be and looks like he has the potential for a sudden loss in concentration. That said, I do think our defence under McGlynn has been exposed by the midfield and full backs getting caught too far up the park and not tracking runners. Badly need someone in midfield who gets stuck in and can read the game well so we don’t leave ourselves vulnerable to a counter attack.