The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Brilliant replacement for Calvin Miller, a quick and direct player who gets at the fullback. Full season would have been better but i'll take until January.

Goal and what is essentially an assist in this game from him.

Nice turn against our bunch of clowns

13 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Can't see heading being banned it's an integral part of the game. Would be like saying to boxers you can't punch above the neck. You make people aware of the dangers just like any other sport and improve the medical care for those participating and for those who have retired from the game. People will then know the risks and can decide whether they are willing to take them or not.  Wouldn't have stopped me playing football all these years I've got to say. Boxing is far more of a risk yet isn't banned and you just have to look at the isle of man TT. People are killed in that every year.  

The medical reports and statistics are frightening and the authorities realise the game has to change.

5 times more likely to get Dementia if you are a defender it's just not sustainable. Parents will tell their children 'don't head the ball' It is in the pipeline to ban it and give a transition period to phase in the changes estimated to be in the early 30's

I think the game will improve after all football on the deck is always better to watch rather than the aerial ping pong. 

Change is coming and the sooner we embrace it the better.

Suggest you look at the various articles on the subject it was an eye opener to me and changed my mind.

Respect

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

The medical reports and statistics are frightening and the authorities realise the game has to change.

5 times more likely to get Dementia if you are a defender it's just not sustainable. Parents will tell their children 'don't head the ball' It is in the pipeline to ban it and give a transition period to phase in the changes estimated to be in the early 30's

I think the game will improve after all football on the deck is always better to watch rather than the aerial ping pong. 

Suggest you look at the various articles on the subject it was an eye opener to me and changed my mind.

Respect

As I said boxing is  far worse but it's not banned so why would you ban heading in football. Restrictions in training have been put in place and again you just need to like any other sport  make people aware of the dangers and ensure the correct medical care is in place.  Cycling has seen a spate of people killed in training and races will we stop them going round corners or up and down hills. We need to stop wrapping people up in cotton wool these days.

4 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Respect

Dementia is not just a tragedy for the person and their family it also costs a large amount of money and resources from the NHS and Social Care. If stopping players heading the ball lessens the chance of people getting this horrible illness then the sooner the better

Good signing if he can stay fit. Should stroll through this level. Bit of a statement of intent from you guy as he was probably our highest earner and we won’t have let him go for free.

Edited by Enigma

Didn’t know much about the lad but going by the rave reviews on here, from all sides, a very decent bit of business. Thanks in no small part to extra FSS money I should imagine. Well done for everyone involved for getting this deal done.👏🏻 A goal for the lad this Saturday would top it off. ⚽

43 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

As I said boxing is  far worse but it's not banned so why would you ban heading in football. Restrictions in training have been put in place and again you just need to like any other sport  make people aware of the dangers and ensure the correct medical care is in place.  Cycling has seen a spate of people killed in training and races will we stop them going round corners or up and down hills. We need to stop wrapping people up in cotton wool these days.

I get what you're saying about boxing but they are not really comparable. The fundamental part of boxing is effectively a fight, going in to that you know what you are getting yourself into. I don't think anyone playing a game of football considers potential long term brain damage resulting in early dementia. If the research is showing that's what is happening it has to change in my opinion. There are many things in football that have changed for safety over the years and yes there are protests that it might change the spirit of the game (more stringent red cards, studs up rules etc) but I still enjoy going on a Saturday no less than before. If players have to become more skilled with their first touch on their feet from long balls, or more skilled at hitting it off their chest it could be changing for the better. 

14 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

But does he have any shares in the club?

Mate I get this is a joke but I'm not gonna be embarrassed about being concerned for fan ownership when we were out of nowhere told "you're not getting anymore shares". All that was needed to solve that issue was clarification within the few days following rather than the stifling of conversation. If the statements from the last few days had come out earlier this issue might not have taken over the conversation for the last few weeks. I already said I was happy with the resolution and happy to move on as I have done. But I'm also not gonna berate people who are not ready to. Again I get this is light hearted but it was a real concern for people and some are still not happy so let's not take the piss out of people who care for the running of their club. 

Edited by Jimmy1876

2 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Mate I get this is a joke but I'm not gonna be embarrassed about being concerned for fan ownership when we were out of nowhere told "you're not getting anymore shares". All that was needed to solve that issue was clarification within the few days following rather than the stifling of conversation. If the statements from the last few days had come out earlier this issue might not have taken over the conversation for the last few weeks. I already said I was happy with the resolution and happy to move on as I have done. But I'm also not gonna berate people who are not ready to. Again I get this is light hearted but it was a real concern for people and some are still not happy so let's not take this piss out of people who care for the running of their club. 

A tiny wee bit over sensitive.

Just to clarify (not to make some point) but the money for the loan won't have come from FSS. As far as I know no money has been passed over in the last few months as there was an issue with paypal when office bearers changed hands. More likely to have come from greater than expected ticket sales or perhaps (if true) money from shares being sold. It's a good thing in any case no matter how it was funded.

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee