The Falkirk FC Thread

Star of the day was the steak pie I had at half time, really tasty if a bit small.  The Bovril should be served with a health and safety warning though.  I had no idea boiling water could go up to 200 degrees.  I spilt some on the concrete and it made a hole.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

A real game of two halves.  80% possesion in the first half, hanging on in the second.   Impressive number of crosses today but most were far too long, hit far too hard or no one with a killer instict up front in the middle to take advantage.  We can't go on having shed loads of chances and only scoring 1 in every 20 or so.  QOS only had 2 real chances and very nearly scored with both.

In saying that, it was an important win today, could make a difference at the end of the season.  We would have drawn or lost that game the past 4 seasons. Sign of a decent team - not playing well and still winning.

The one time we went direct and had a shot from the middle we scored.  Hope McGlynn will take notice that a more direct route through the middle now and again might be the way to go.

I can't get out of the house much so I am glad I was there.

Disappointed to hear some homophobic slurrs shouted from an idiot in the middle of the McAllister stand today.  Maybe he got lost from that march he was on today.   I hope he has a lovely night.

17 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Star of the day was the steak pie I had at half time, really tasty if a bit small.  Bovril should be served with a health and safety worning though.  I had no idea boiling water could go way above 100 degrees.  I spilt some on the concrete and it made a hole.

Remember in the early 60's as a wee boy a guy walking about the Brockville terracing with a container on his back with Bovril and a burner underneath lit by god knows what.

There was a splutter of steam every time the guy turned on the tap to pour a cup so it must have been scalding as well.

Goodness knows what health and safety would make of it now.

Does anybody else remember that?

KMuch tougher game and expected against a full time rival. QOS were capable of taking something today but we remained resolute and ground out a 1-0 win. We would have crumbled in previous seasons. A very valuable 3 points and will be crucial at the end of the season. I thought we missed Alfie badly with his power and trickery, and I thought MacIver struggled to get in to the game without him alongside. My own take on Yeats was that he was caught out a few times at RB, but tried like a bear to get forward with a couple of runs and thought Bisland could have replaced him after an hour. Ethan Ross looked to get involved but nowhere near match fit, so his best still to come. Ola probably contributed more when he replaced Ross and probably not a penalty shout for me, although seen them given for much less. Morrison and Spencer stood out for me and the goal showed the quality Spencer has, top bin! Between them Ola, Nesbitt and Ross, covered for the absence of Miller and Alfie. Until we get those two back were lacking some balance, but happy the patchwork got us the 3 points. Also hoping Alfie’s injury is not as bad as suggested. Will be hoping for a QOS response vs Hamilton next week and another 3 points for us on the telly. Satisfying result today. 👏🏻

Edited by GunnerBairn

4 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Shout out to Donaldson. A great clearance when I thought it would be a goal and the second one he got a touch to allow Lang to complete the clearance. He was man of the match by a country mile, Spencer behind him.

Not sure if everyone saw it but Long had fingertipped the ball on to the bar before Donaldson cleared off the line, great defending all round. Hendo done a lot of midfield enforcing winning 50/50s in front of the defence and Lang mopped up everything thrown at him, with a few last ditch challenges made. Hoping our defence has learned lessons now and becoming watertight. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Having seen the goal there on the highlights, Brad Spencer oozes the type of class last seen from first loan spell John Henry

Watching the highlights I still think its a pen on lawal . Nowhere near the ball and trips him as much as outmuscled him which is what I thought had happened at the time.

42 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Watching the highlights I still think its a pen on lawal . Nowhere near the ball and trips him as much as outmuscled him which is what I thought had happened at the time.

It looks worse on video than it did at the time, but at the time I felt he just wasn't strong enough and I haven't really changed my mind

Huge three points against a very decent team (albeit deplorable time wasting/fake injuries from kick off) Don't think there’s anyone that cant see the change/improvement in our application, resilience and attitude. A game we’d have lost in the previous seasons. Morrisons best game in the NB, and although some crossing could be improved, he was unplayable for sixty plus minutes.

Special mention to Lang Long McCann  Spencer who were immense, and fantastic goal and scenes. For me with Miller & Alfie we get a choice of being more direct and just hope Alfie’s injury isn’t too bad, with Miller out for a few months.
Yeats is slowly improving in his RB role, and there’s a noticeable change with his overall positioning. Has a brilliant attitude and engine, and looking like his slot to lose now.

Negatives from yesterday’s game - Lawal shouldn’t be played on the line and Nesbitt so frustrating. Lastly wish refs would deal with time wasters/fakers at the time of incident. For me the added six minutes (longer on my watch)of added time can work against the team. Yesterday’s sideshow from Queens was the worse I’ve seen for many a season - totally embarrassing.

As everyone has said great three points. 
Best for me were Donaldson, Lang, Yeats, Morrison and Spencer. Special mention to Long who bailed out McCann and Henderson who were wasteful and nearly cost us. Alfie a big miss as Nesbitt just doesn’t get close enough to the striker in that role. 
As far a QOS go they came for a draw and deserved what they got for time wasting and feigning injury. The lad rolling back on the pitch was embarrassing. Hope McGuffie isn’t too badly hurt. 
fingers crossed Alfie is back soon. 

Yeats still getting criticism from  some but I really do wonder what people are expecting from a right back at Falkirk. Unless you are Ashley Cole or Kyle walker you are always going to lose out to a tricky wide player at some point in a match the main thing is you don't dive in and allow others to get back and cover which he is very good at. . He's added a lot more of an attacking side to his game since he came in and has a superb engine on him .  Our right side yesterday was far more dangerous yesterday with him and Morrison than McCann and Ross on the left. McCann I like but he never seems to get the same criticism over the minute details that yeats does and that's after nearly costing us a goal yesterday with his shocking backpass. To me we now have too excellent fullbacks , two rock solid centrehalfs and a terrific keeper who just needs to plat the ball long a bit more often instead of getting himself in trouble with some crazy passes.