The Falkirk FC Thread

37 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

It does add up though as no others were signed after the 22nd of June and the call to buy the remaining shares was in order to bring in more players. 

It might add up to you but like I said I don’t take great stock in a lot of what is posted on here so I’m of a different belief looking at how the squad eventually panned out and think at that point there may still have been a few pennies in the pot for a player at the right price as JS alluded to when asked however McGlynn obviously chose to prioritise signing more expensive type players in other positions. Most of the lower value loan players only become available toward the end of the transfer windows anyway once squads have been finalised. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

10 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

It might add up to you but like I said I don’t take great stock in a lot of what is posted on here and I’m of a different belief looking at how the squad eventually panned out and think there were still a few pennies in the pot for a player at the right price as JW alluded to when asked, McGlynn obviously chose to prioritise signing more expensive type players in other positions.

JW? 

7 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

On the other side of the coin, if they thought McGlynn was useless and not a good manager to work for, would they have moved to work with him again for £50 extra a week? If I had an ex boss I didn't like and he asked me to work for him again I know I wouldn't jump at the chance like these guys did, which I think tells it's own story on how they rate McGlynn and enjoy working with him. That's a good few players now left their clubs to go back to working with him. Definitely has some clout and it's not just money. These players also seem happy at the club so far and not just turning up for a wage. 

Donaldson was saying this at the awards last season. He said as long as McGlynn is the manager (and wants him of course) he would stay with us. Loves playing for McGlynn.

33 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Sorry, JS.  Just a typo 

Did wonder as was thinking it was the former FSS director. 😆 

Listened back and Jamie said the squad is at 19 senior players and not far from being complete then a week later McGlynn said he tried to get to 20 players but the money just wouldn’t go far enough to bring in another player so if there was money left then it was pennies, as you said, and they needed the sale of shares to bring in Bisland and Ross. 

Edited by Van_damage

If my calculations are correct, we finished the first 1/4 of last season with 17 points after the 9 games. We’ve already got 19 points this quarter, so at worse, we’re two points better off than the first quarter of last season. Of course, we hope to be even better than 19 point mark with our remaining two games.

Edited by Tea and Busquets

1 minute ago, Tea and Busquets said:

If my calculations are correct, we finished the first 1/4 of last season with 19 points after the 9 games. We’ve already got 19 points this quarter, so at worse, we’ve matched the first quarter of last season. Of course, we need/hope to better that 19 point mark with our remaining two games.

Think it was only 17 after playing each team once so we’re 2 ahead.

Next target will be to surpass 20 from season 2020/21. That was our best start in this league since we’ve been down here. 

1 hour ago, Van_damage said:

Did wonder as was thinking it was the former FSS director. 😆 

Listened back and Jamie said the squad is at 19 senior players and not far from being complete then a week later McGlynn said he tried to get to 20 players but the money just wouldn’t go far enough to bring in another player so if there was money left then it was pennies, as you said, and they needed the sale of shares to bring in Bisland and Ross. 

I think timing would have been as much a factor as well, particularly with young players like Bisland who probably wouldn’t have been made available until later in the window when Dundee United had finalised their squad and knew how they were placed with injuries ect. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

36 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Think it was only 17 after playing each team once so we’re 2 ahead.

Next target will be to surpass 20 from season 2020/21. That was our best start in this league since we’ve been down here. 

Does anyone know our highest ever points total from one round of fixtures?

34 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Does anyone know our highest ever points total from one round of fixtures?

As LatapyBairn said I think it must’ve been 2002/03. We had 22 points that year from the first round of fixtures. We won 8, drew 1 and lost 1. I can’t imagine we’ve bettered that before, not in my lifetime anyway. 

Edited by Van_damage

4 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

As LatapyBairn said I think it must’ve been 2002/03. We had 22 points that year from the first round of fixtures. We won 8, drew 1 and lost 1. I can’t imagine we’ve bettered that before, not in my lifetime anyway. 

Ummm... a record of 8W and 1D would give us 25 points. 

And 8W 1D 1L is 10 games, more than the first quarter. 

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Ummm... a record of 8W and 1D would give us 25 points. 

And 8W 1D 1L is 10 games, more than the first quarter. 

Well spotted. It was 22 points. 7W 1D 1L. Added on an extra win by mistake. Think that has to be our best ever though. 

Edited by Van_damage

1 hour ago, Van_damage said:

Well spotted. It was 22 points. 7W 1D 1L. Added on an extra win by mistake. Think that has to be our best ever though. 

I'm sure the only reason we lost that game - the last one of the quarter - was that the players were told on the eve / day of the Arbroath match that Jobbie was leaving. 

25 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'm sure the only reason we lost that game - the last one of the quarter - was that the players were told on the eve / day of the Arbroath match that Jobbie was leaving. 

Was that the Aberdeen job that he turned down? 

5 hours ago, Van_damage said:

It must have been used up as Reghan Tumilty signed for Hamilton on the 27th of June and our last signing before Bisland was Sam Long on the 22nd of June. McGlynn also said in his pre-season interview that he had no money to bring in others.

Whether we offered a deal to Tumilty before then, I’ve no idea, but it was said by some prominent posters on here and not challenged. 

In the know on here is usually wishful thinking sadly