The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Van_damage said:

Was that the Aberdeen job that he turned down? 

Dundee United. That was the first approach in October. The rumour at the time - never proven, probably rubbish - was that he was dropped off in Dundee on the way home from Arbroath so that he could hold talks about the job with Thompson. He turned the down job down the following midweek before eventually clearing off to Tannadice the following January a few days after we had murdered the Jambos in the Scottish Cup, a performance (first half) that has never been bettered, and possibly never will be.

21 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Dundee United. That was the first approach in October. The rumour at the time - never proven, probably rubbish - was that he was dropped off in Dundee on the way home from Arbroath so that he could hold talks about the job with Thompson. He turned the down job down the following midweek before eventually clearing off to Tannadice the following January a few days after we had murdered the Jambos in the Scottish Cup, a performance (first half) that has never been bettered, and possibly never will be.

Must’ve been something in it. I. Thought it was Aberdeen before Steve Patterson took the job but that was December 2002.

Sure Crunchie had said to him that he thanked Ian McCall before his testimonial for knocking back the job(Dundee Utd then?) as it would help put numbers on the gate so does ring a bell now. 

Edited by Van_damage

39 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Good to hear Alfie’s had a full week’s training. Positive feedback from McGlynn and bring on Saturday.

Alfie was fit enough to play 30 mins on Saturday at full pelt. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t start on Saturday, with either Nesbitt or Ross dropping to the bench. A very good headache to have 

If he's not fit enough to play the full 90 I'd prefer that Ross started with Alfie coming on in the 2nd half. I'd much rather he was replacing Ross than the other way around and I can't see Nesbitt being dropped after Saturday when he was brilliant.

Nurse Alfie back to full fitness. Ross has the ability to tire the opposition with his energy . I would bring Agyeman on at half time for either Ross or Nesbit depending on how the game is going. Alfie will scare defences at this level in an attacking team

Edited by Bigbrbairn

You could see in the Kelty game the improvement in Ross with some minutes under his belt. A couple more matches and he is going to be Spencer levels of #pler at this level. Reckon he will have the LW position sewn up until Miller is back.

That leaves Agyeman to wrestle the 10 back off Nesbitt, not unlikely but after Nesbitt's performance last week I reckon he will start on Sat again. Nice problem for McGlynn to have and the thought of a fresh Alfie running at tired Montrose legs has got me a little bit moist tbh  

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No, I'm pretty sure he went to Tannadice a few days later. Haven't checked the dates though so I might be wrong. 

That`s my recollection too. However, it may be that the Arbroath game in January that we won 4-1 was his last & that`s where the mix up is?

Edited by 60`s bairn

28 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

That`s my recollection too. However, it may be that the Arbroath game in January that we won 4-1 was his last & that`s where the mix up is?

Just remembered the clip I had thought of with regards to Ian McCall. Was on Off the Ball while we tried to promote the KM Stand opening. Ian was a guest and told a story regarding the testimonial. Was Dundee Utd right enough as BB said. Had Aberdeen in my mind somehow. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3878411715562099/permalink/7707089206027645/

16 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

There's not much choice in Falkirk these days to hold events like these if you are expecting sizeable numbers. You used to have the park hotel, cladhan or beancross but they aren't options any more so you are left with grange manor or the inchyra . Grange manor is smaller and might already be fully booked who knows.  Very limited options now though in the area.

Have these hotels shut down? 

18 hours ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

Slightly off topic.. Is there a contractual obligation on FFC to host events at the Inchyra Hotel? 

Fortress Brockville event was booked for The Beancross originally. We were told that the club try to move events around club sponsors (they used Beancross for the pre semi final event) so this was the original plan but were contacted by Beancross due to their current situation. Inchyra, as another sponsor, was then booked. 

As Shodwell Cat says though, otherwise their are no real alternatives to getting 300/350 people in a room for dinner. Grange Manor doesn’t hold that & may not even be a club sponsor. 

2 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Have these hotels shut down? 

The Cladhan is now used solely for DSS/Migrant accommodation apparently. Park Hotel changed their large function suite into rooms during Covid (their small function room holds about 100 max now) and The Beancross looks to be closing eventually as is now only a bar with no functions on the go or even meals in the restaurant. Sad really. 

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

Started off well with us and is at the  age where he could progress, wouldn’t have been adverse to us signing him permanently had it happened. 

I think I'd probably have Rowe ahead of Yeats at FB at the moment, but only just. Finn is coming on leaps and bounds and I reckon he'll become a very competent FB as the season progresses. 

11 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Nurse Alfie back to full fitness. Ross has the ability to tire the opposition with his energy . I would bring Agyeman on at half time for either Ross or Nesbit depending on how the game is going. Alfie will scare defences at this level in an attacking team

I don’t think bringing Alfie on at half time is good but if he is fit to start the start him but if not fit to start then last half hour have him on for Ross so Ross has time to fully tire the defence out and Alfie can run and run and run and run at the defence with not much stopping force against him

12 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

You could see in the Kelty game the improvement in Ross with some minutes under his belt. A couple more matches and he is going to be Spencer levels of #pler at this level. Reckon he will have the LW position sewn up until Miller is back.

That leaves Agyeman to wrestle the 10 back off Nesbitt, not unlikely but after Nesbitt's performance last week I reckon he will start on Sat again. Nice problem for McGlynn to have and the thought of a fresh Alfie running at tired Montrose legs has got me a little bit moist tbh  

To be in that situation is a nice problem to have. With the option to say to the starter 'your on for an hour give it your all' with a fresh player coming on to exploit the good work done. That takes team spirit and players buying into it and it looks like the squad has that.

Jock Stein did that with Lennox-Hughes and vise versa to devesting effect.