The Falkirk FC Thread

My fondest memories of him is his 91-93 period, just after we won the league and then a local hero signs up. I was only 9 but it was very exciting. 

I just wish Stainrod could’ve been used slightly better that season by JJ (maybe rested for a period) so we could’ve potentially got one full season out of him, finished stronger and, along with Crunchie, had a really great 91/92 season rather feeling it fell a bit short.

15 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

It’s been said before but how would a redevelopment of Brockville have been funded without the sale of the park. 

There was also the issue of space. 

It's a difficult one.

But I think at the time if we knew how the club was going to get screwed and end up as mere tenants without a brown coin of an asset in the new stadium.

We would have stayed put and muddled on.

27 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Nothing too major but a tiny bit of insight from Spencer into McGlynn's management and the start to the season within the first 15 minutes or so.

First time I've listened to that, James Craigen looks destined for a media career, speaks really well

33 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It's a difficult one.

But I think at the time if we knew how the club was going to get screwed and end up as mere tenants without a brown coin of an asset in the new stadium.

Then the team would be getting changed in Portakabins and playing in an empty shell of a stadium.

Not a chance any safety certificates would be issued as the place continued to crumble before our eyes.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It's a difficult one.

Only problem here is this is not an accurate description of what’s happened as has been explained to you a thousand times on here by various posters yet you still chose to invent this little boogie man story in your own head. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Then the team would be getting changed in Portakabins and playing in an empty shell of a stadium.

Not a chance any safety certificates would be issued as the place continued to crumble before our eyes.

I miss brockville as much as anybody but there is a point where realism needs to set in, (putting aside I actually think TFS is now finally starting to feel like a home anyway). The ongoing costs of maintaining an old stadium like brockville to capacity level are incredible without massive refurbishment, just ask Dave Cormack at Aberdeen who’s been trying to find them a new home since he became chairman for that very reason. Without selling up and building a new ground we also would have been denied promotion again and missed out on 6 seasons of watching the likes of Stokes, Latapy, Gow ect playing premier league football, you could also forget about the stadium being used or even considered for gigs or events like the Killers ect, those concerts in total I bet have brought in the best part of a million pounds to the club over the last 20 years. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Dunno if anyone else had the 1992 Super Top Trumps European Club Football edition, but I always thought that was Crunchie representing Chelsea, pretty sure it is?

(appreciate this might be the most boring question ever)

89827-6384930Fr.jpg

It definitely is.

Leaving his great inferior John Barnes in the dust.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It's a difficult one.

I was involved at that time. There were far too many financial and practical issues with redeveloping the site and frankly the wooden stand was a fire hazard waiting to happen. I often think about people being allowed to smoke downstairs at half time - that’s how the Bradford fire happened. A miracle we never had an issue. 

Moving was also affected by the corrupt Goldies - we were forced to look at options that were not perfect. Staying there was never an option. 

18 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I miss brockville as much as anybody but there is a point where realism needs to set in, not to mention I think TFS is now finally starting to feel like a home anyway. The ongoing costs of maintaining an old stadium like brockville are incredible without massive refurbishment, just ask Dave Cormack at Aberdeen who’s been trying to find them a new home since he became chairman for that very reason. Without selling up and building a new ground we also would have been denied promotion again and missed out on 6 seasons of watching the likes of Stokes, Latapy, Gow ect playing premier league football, you could also forget about the stadium being used or even considered for gigs or events like the Killers ect, those concerts in total I bet have brought in the best part of a million pounds to the club over the last 20 years. 

Don't disagree with your fundamental point, but there would have been the opportunity to groundshare post ICT in 04/05 SPL season so probably could have got promotion. 

I have always kindof wondered if Brockville could have been turned into a 6,000 seater stadium. Ignoring whether it would have made much sense, would it have been feasible anyone know?

Just now, The Holiday Song said:

Don't disagree with your fundamental point, but there would have been the opportunity to groundshare post ICT in 04/05 SPL season so probably could have got promotion. 

I have always kindof wondered if Brockville could have been turned into a 6,000 seater stadium. Ignoring whether it would have made much sense, would it have been feasible anyone know?

No. The only way funding was possible for anything was the sale of the site. The Goldies opposed most sales to allow their own preferred developments to have a chance ( backhander city). Additionally the railway bridge had to be moved under some options at Falkirk’s own cost - that was prohibitive. Redevelopment of Brockville was a pipe dream. 

3 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

My fondest memories of him is his 91-93 period, just after we won the league and then a local hero signs up. I was only 9 but it was very exciting. 

I just wish Stainrod could’ve been used slightly better that season by JJ (maybe rested for a period) so we could’ve potentially got one full season out of him, finished stronger and, along with Crunchie, had a really great 91/92 season rather feeling it fell a bit short.

He was at the very least a 7/10 every week at that point, had all the premier leagues  fullbacks on toast. The first time I saw him during this period was a Tuesday night at East End when he destroyed them and it ended 4-0. I was young at the time but in my hazy memory he played better that night than the Hearts semi final. At that time in his career he should have been playing for a bigger team and had he been playing for a more fashionable team would have won a few caps. It is our good fortune that he played for us during that time and our even better fortune that he came back for his swansong. 

42 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

If buts and maybes, who’s to say we could have won the league again? We could easily have spent seasons festering without top flight football, since relegation we’ve been trying to get back into the top flight ever since and look how difficult that has proven! Also at the time we were told we needed to own our own 6k seated stadium and had already had two ground sharing proposals rejected in previous seasons. We may or may not have been allowed to ground share at some point in the future as Inverness eventually did but we’d had already had our fingers burnt twice and could not have credibly proceeded with another ground share proposal on that basis. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

When staying at brockville was being looked at as an option it was 10k seats you needed anyway and that was never going to be a goer without knocking everything down moving the pitch and starting from scratch and where the hell was the money going to come for for that.

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Have the club sold off the pitch, north stand and our section of the main stand in the last few days or are you just making things up again? 

How much is that worth on the market? Nothing as it's not marketable so it's worthless. The only customer would be the Council and they are too busy laughing at FFC replacing seating, pitches, floodlights and repairing the fabric of the stadium ie the roof at the clubs cost season after season.

Would be interesting to see how much FFC has paid to the Council and on stadium upkeep since we moved. Bet we could have refurbished Brockville with the money.

Anyway, it's academic - the club got screwed that's beyond doubt and we have gone over it often enough we would be going over old ground.