The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Fair enough, personally I'd start the likes of Lawal, Allan etc who should be capable of getting a result, but if its going badly then sub the first team guys on.

And if it does go badly and they’re subbed against Formartine, with respect, how does that affect their confidence? 

You’re talking pish here mate. 

8 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Fair enough, personally I'd start the likes of Lawal, Allan etc who should be capable of getting a result, but if its going badly then sub the first team guys on.

This is the most logical approach. Rest as many first team as we can, if we are cruising without them then great, if not then get them on. 1-0 or 10-0 matters not a jot in a cup game, the outcome is still the same. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

And if it does go badly and they’re subbed against Formartine, with respect, how does that affect their confidence? 

If they're playing poorly against a Highland league side then they deserve to get subbed off. I think they deserve a chance especially after beating both QP and Ayr. If I was in there position I'd be a bit annoyed not to start on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Surely if someone is playing badly you sub them for someone who you hope can do better? With the greatest respect you are talking pish. 

Would you play them but keep them on if they are playing shite so you don't hurt their confidence? 

If they think they can't even get a start against a Highland league team, surely that is worse for their confidence? 

I want changes. We have Montrose away on Tuesday and Spencer put already. If we cannot rotate then we are not title contenders because failure to rotate by choice (maintaining a strong bench) will lead to rotation by neccessity (leading to a shit bench and dropped points).

Just now, Believe The Hype said:

Surely if someone is playing badly you sub them for someone who you hope can do better? With the greatest respect you are talking pish. 

Would you play them but keep them on if they are playing shite so you don't hurt their confidence? 

If they think they can't even get a start against a Highland league team, surely that is worse for their confidence? 

Obviously yes on your first question. 
Obviously  no on your second. 
Personally I’d go all out to win every game. Play the best players and if it’s out of sight at half time, or even before, then bring the other guys on. 
All about opinions. 

20 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Had only looked at the table so expected a game but let’s hope you’re right. I’d still stick with my lineup. If it’s done after 45 mins we can ease off with changes. 

Formartine are undoubtedly a better standard than the Wick team that you put 6 past last season I think it was but they would easily be club 42 if in the SPFL. Falkirk are clearly improved, have huge momentum and being at home should play a part too.

We beat them 2-0 pre-season with a squad of trialists who couldn't kick their own arse. I remember they barely threatened us that day.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just now, Rugster said:

Obviously yes on your first question. 
Obviously  no on your second. 
Personally I’d go all out to win every game. Play the best players and if it’s out of sight at half time, or even before, then bring the other guys on. 
All about opinions. 

That's a wild take man. We have guys more than capable that haven't had game time. Give them a run out and protect the guys in the first 11. Spencer, Morrison, Miller, Alfie have already all been on the treatment table this season. We have some huge games coming up. 

Think you're at it to be fair and just waiting on a woosh

Maybe I’m just being daft. I’d like us to run up an absolute fucking cricket score like France did the other night and make a few headlines. It’s been shite for years. We’re doing great this year but it would be great if we made national headlines for the right reasons for a wee change building on last Friday. 

Just now, Rugster said:

Maybe I’m just being daft. I’d like us to run up an absolute fucking cricket score like France did the other night and make a few headlines. It’s been shite for years. We’re doing great this year but it would be great if we made national headlines for the right reasons for a wee change building on last Friday. 

Whilst I agree in principle, we're only doing a tiny bit better than Hamilton in the league. It's a fragile situation with a difficult game coming on Tuesday. This cup draw gives us the opportunity to win and roll the dice on a decent money tie, failing that hopefully another easy, on paper draw to progress further but ultimately, in the league, its existence as we know it we're playing for. So with this being a squad game, we utilise the squad or die on our arse when the inevitable injuries mount. 

Bottom line is, everyone in football knows the mantra that it's a squad game. If you can't or won't use the squad in the scenario we face between now and 21:30 on Tuesday night, you are taking a huge, huge gamble. 

35 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I work with one of our first team players mums.

Her and her husband attend every single game. She was raving about the Dundee Utd game today and said that Finn Yeats mum was sitting in front of them at the Utd game and was in tears as she was so  proud when Finn scored.

When she found out who my colleague was the mother of, she thanked her for how her son had taken Finn under his wing and was mentoring him.

Apparently the players all game online with Finn at night (Sorry Marvin) to keep his spirits up and support him as he’s living on his own at such a young age.

She also says the team spirit in the squad is the best a lot of the players have ever know and John McGlynn is a big reason for that.

It sounds like things are brilliant in the dressing room and this is being transferred onto the pitch.

My colleague said when it went 2-1 to Utd on Friday she wasn’t concerned as ‘she knew we would win’.

As a fan it’s great hearing that - I am so, so proud of our club just now. Enjoy it lads and lassies - I certainly am.

A nice read, but even if you hadn't typed that, I think Finns goal tells you all you need to know about how he is viewed by players and fans alike. Massive celebrations, everyone clearly delighted for him and everyone had been choking for him to get one. Boys a class act and destined to go far IMO. Plenty of players make it to the big leagues on just being the hardest worker in every room they walk into. Get those vibes off Finn. His drive is there for all to see. 

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A nice read, but even if you hadn't typed that, I think Finns goal tells you all you need to know about how he is viewed by players and fans alike. Massive celebrations, everyone clearly delighted for him and everyone had been choking for him to get one. Boys a class act and destined to go far IMO. Plenty of players make it to the big leagues on just being the hardest worker in every room they walk into. Get those vibes off Finn. His drive is there for all to see. 

When he signed thought at best he'd be cover from the subs bench. When he started getting regular games (RB)  thought he would struggle. Happy to eat my words. Watched him off the ball a few times talking to Donaldson/Lang for coaching, and heard him give Morrison a word for not seeing his pass. His reading of the game is brilliant for his age, his energy and positioning for one so you is incredible. These are attributes few young players have and like the last few posts, he’s one I hope the club are throwing a new contract at.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

When he signed thought at best he'd be cover from the subs bench. When he started getting regular games (RB)  thought he would struggle. Happy to eat my words. Watched him off the ball a few times talking to Donaldson/Lang for coaching, and heard him give Morrison a word for not seeing his pass. His reading of the game is brilliant for his age, his energy and positioning for one so you is incredible. These are attributes few young players have and like the last few posts, he’s one I hope the club are throwing a new contract at.

Really big similarities to the legend Will Vaulks. Tries every game no matter where he plays

You constantly see teams starting  under strength sides in cup games and then having to drag all the normal starters  off the bench to try and save the day. I wouldn't play Spencer if he isn't fully fit and if we do start a second string then they better get the job done .

22 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You constantly see teams starting  under strength sides in cup games and then having to drag all the normal starters  off the bench to try and save the day. I wouldn't play Spencer if he isn't fully fit and if we do start a second string then they better get the job done .

There would be no excuse for failure to progress here. 

The question remains though, if not now, then when do key players get a rest?

On the fence with Saturdays starting eleven. Preference would be to keep the same Utd 11. However if we have any players suffering niggles or knocks, give the subs bench a starting slot. Dont believe in changing winning teams and players generally don’t like getting there gig occupied by someone else.
On a side note. Very noticeable this season the closeness with the players and staff. Long time since I’ve witnessed the staff/players celebrating like they do every game.