The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Apologies if I wasn't clear. I'm wondering if our attendance figures are actually higher than the officially released figures. Earlier in the season, I could walk up to the turnstile 10 mins before KO and find a seat no problem. Now, I'm showing up 25-30 mins before KO and facing a queue. Maybe it isn't any busier, and maybe people all have the same thought as me and it ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy? I don't know haha.

The attendances looked higher than quoted to me at the last two games 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The #KM7 has been very noticably busier in recent weeks

There have been some empty seats nearer the front in the middle and east side, but I think they double up a bit in the ultras section so it’s probably not far off capacity most weeks, just under 2k I think.

I thought the practice was to take STs as a given then add walk-ups, away, comps, hospitality etc but I might be wrong. Can’t see a sensible reason for misreporting though there’s probably room for error. 

12 hours ago, Dave McInally said:

Prize money will be the biggest increase but only by £400k should we finish 2nd. If we win the league this year we’ll get £150k. If we were to finish 4th next year then it will be around £390k.

Our average home attendance this season is about 4,391. Even in our best season under Houston with Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and St.Mirren in the league it was 4,670. 

As has been mentioned, hospitality and sponsorship, to the great efforts of the commercial team, have pretty much sold out so only an increase in price would bring in extra revenue. 

Season Ticket sales would increase but the prices are frozen so the more Falkirk fans getting one then there will be a slight reduction in the average gate price per match. 

The FSS money is present this season too however the government loan will start being repaid in August so will be reduced by £17k pa. 

To make it extra it has to be over and above what we’re doing now so the biggest increase will be attendance and prize money.

There is undoubtedly the potential for more money in the Championship but as I said, I’m more of a realist and I don’t think an instant uplift of £1m should be taken for granted especially as costs will increase too.

Interesting debate. I think it’s fair to say ST sales would go up as would away fans, the latter significantly what with DA, Partick and some others. I’d also expect various commercial income streams to increase both in volume and unit price if we won the league and the feel-good was there  

Prize money is a six figure variable though would still be significantly higher. Walk-ups will increase if we have a good season. And the biggest unknowns are cup income and player sales. 

£1m more? At a stretch, though dependent of the variables and good performance. But we know we have a strong enough commercial team to capitalise and we should certainly be ambitious. 

Edited by StuartA

I thought the club counted season tickets in the attendance even if the tickets not been used, there was times last season when the attendance in the stadium looked a good few hundred below the official attendance announced. Most clubs count season tickets if they're used or not do they not. Even though the km stand has been sold out the last two matches there have been plenty of spare seats(3 unused season tickets in our group) for instance. 

1 hour ago, Dave McInally said:

The original point, that you replied to, was that I don’t see an uplift of £1m as realistic from where we are now, should we gain promotion. 

The club are targeting income of £2.2m this year so would need to take in £3.2m for there to be that increase.

For all we’re doing well football is a fickle business so I wouldn’t bank on many more home fans at present when we would be likely to struggle more in a tougher league. 

There’s no reason we can’t be ambitious but you’re relying on a lot of factors to gain that amount.

I would be shocked if our top line is not much  higher than £2.2m. You only need to look at PATG uplift, selling out all matchday sponsorship, hospitality nearly sold out. Three strips sold with record sales, lottery income, FSS uplift not withstanding a great chance to progress in the SC and possible final of Trust trophy. 
We have a can do attitude around the club now and I see no reason why we can’t continue to push to North of £3m next season. 

14 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm sure if he had had 6 changes then Morrison would've been on at some point.

Pretty sure McGlynn actually said this. 

1 hour ago, martin ritchie said:

I thought the club counted season tickets in the attendance even if the tickets not been used, there was times last season when the attendance in the stadium looked a good few hundred below the official attendance announced. Most clubs count season tickets if they're used or not do they not. Even though the km stand has been sold out the last two matches there have been plenty of spare seats(3 unused season tickets in our group) for instance. 

Not sure if they count in physical attendance figures announced at the end of the game, but aye they will have to announce sold out as the seats are paid for and reserved prior to attendance anyway obviously. 

I noticed at the QoS game that the main stand was a lot busier than usual. If we keep this run going and still have a good chance of winning the league, I think the walk ups will increase as the weather gets better.

Edited to say that, if the council could move those temp fences to the back of the pavements rather than the front, that would help a lot! I suppose there must be a good reason for it though?? :unsure2: Nah, it's just the cooncil!

Edited by ShaggerG

3 hours ago, StuartA said:

Interesting debate. I think it’s fair to say ST sales would go up as would away fans, the latter significantly what with DA, Partick and some others. I’d also expect various commercial income streams to increase both in volume and unit price if we won the league and the feel-good was there  

Prize money is a six figure variable though would still be significantly higher. Walk-ups will increase if we have a good season. And the biggest unknowns are cup income and player sales. 

£1m more? At a stretch, though dependent of the variables and good performance. But we know we have a strong enough commercial team to capitalise and we should certainly be ambitious. 

Had a look at Kilmarnock’s accounts for season 21/22 for comparison, when they won the Championship. 

Their turnover was £3.7m however that included £500k parachute payment, £665k prize money(which we’d need to finish 1st), they also had a Covid grant of £140k and Covid insurance of £150k and made £665k from ST sales. If I remember correctly ours are in the region of £300k. 

If you take away the extras for Kilmarnock from Covid and the Parachute payment then their turnover was about £2.91m. They were affected by social distancing for the start of the season but their ST numbers, hospitality sales(£351k) and shop sales(£555k) are still mightily impressive.

I expect the away crowd to go up 500 on average if Dunfermline are still in the league so that could gain an extra £150k using a £16 average. 

We can’t sell more hospitality than at present. We can sell more shirts I’m sure but think we only make about £30/shirt so even selling an extra 1,000 units would only equate to an extra £30k. Prices can undoubtedly go up but the club have committed to a freeze on ST prices and what is the realistic amount, hospitality/merchandise or sponsorship can go up by?(it certainly didn’t seem to go down when we were relegated)

If we do get an extra £150k on away gates, if we were to budget for finishing 4th(an extra £260k) and if we sold £100k more sponsorship and merchandising, we’d still be requiring an extra £500k or so to make £1m more than we would be if we finish 1st this year and meet our targets. 

I’m all for ambition but pragmatism is first and foremost to me and as much as it may be possible to gain £1m, it’s by no means a certainty. 

Edited by Dave McInally

For the cove game,In the km stand, the turnstile closest to Grangemouth...the scanner wasn't working, a quick flash of your season ticket  and the steward was letting you in and the qots game I seen the steward waving a teenage girl through without a ticket, she was trying to pay but it was sold out but her dad made a bit of a fuss so the steward operating the turnstile let her in for free 

7 minutes ago, martin ritchie said:

For the cove game,In the km stand, the turnstile closest to Grangemouth...the scanner wasn't working, a quick flash of your season ticket  and the steward was letting you in and the qots game I seen the steward waving a teenage girl through without a ticket, she was trying to pay but it was sold out but her dad made a bit of a fuss so the steward operating the turnstile let her in for free 

Grass 

My brother and I were split up at the Queen of the South game recently.  I have a ST for the KM stand and my brother was paying by cash.  I got in but my brother was turned away as the cash seats had been sold out.  He had to sit right at the back of the main stand near the away stand.  I noticed that there were many empty seats near the front where I sit.

I know the club have got to keep enough seats available for all season tickets in unlikely event we all turn up at the same game, but that hardly ever happens.  Shame there isn't some way of dealing with this, it didn't spoil our day but it did affect it.

2 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

My brother and I were split up at the Queen of the South game recently.  I have a ST for the KM stand and my brother was paying by cash.  I got in but my brother was turned away as the cash seats had been sold out.  He had to sit right at the back of the main stand near the away stand.  I noticed that there were many empty seats near the front where I sit.

I know the club have got to keep enough seats available for all season tickets in unlikely event we all turn up at the same game, but that hardly ever happens.  Shame there isn't some way of dealing with this, it didn't spoil our day but it did affect it.

If it became an issue regulalry then the club could easily have a scheme where ST holders can let them know if they wont be attending

Is the fact that season ticket holders not turning up thus leaving empty seats got something to do with kids season tickets being free, people  getting season tickets for their kids coz it costs nothing even though they might only go to a handful of games at best a season. You can tell how much busier things are by how long it takes to get out of the south stand car park, 50 cars or something and it takes 20mins minimum, pretty chaotic 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The #KM7 has been very noticably busier in recent weeks

It's not surprise really. I was sitting in the main stand earlier in the season but being right next to the ultras is a far better experience. Doesn't look like attendance in the main stand has dropped at all though, that said.

7 minutes ago, martin ritchie said:

Is the fact that season ticket holders not turning up thus leaving empty seats got something to do with kids season tickets being free, people getting season tickets for their kids coz it costs nothing even though they might only go to a handful of games at best a season ...

That's valid.

I suppose whilst there is availability in the main stand it's not an issue. 

Curiously, does anyone know if the fans survey will happen again this year?

On 15/01/2024 at 16:52, LeodhasXD said:

This is not unique to Falkirk and is endemic in Scottish football. St Johnstone were here early on in the season and everyone I spoke to was a volunteer.

You obviously did not speak to either of the 2 full time employees Saints had (They were there that day) nor the part time videographer who was also there.

We do run with a big team , 2 on comms , a match reporter and myself on facebook and sometimes twitter , these are voluntary posts but there are full time employees on the media side.

39 minutes ago, martin ritchie said:

Is the fact that season ticket holders not turning up thus leaving empty seats got something to do with kids season tickets being free, people  getting season tickets for their kids coz it costs nothing even though they might only go to a handful of games at best a season. You can tell how much busier things are by how long it takes to get out of the south stand car park, 50 cars or something and it takes 20mins minimum, pretty chaotic 

I do think we need to revisit the under 12s go free (unless its still being subsidised by INEOS) and introduce a nominal charge or keep free but locate in a family friendly zone.  At the moment an adult can claim more than 1 free child seat which will be increasing attendance numbers but not necessarily bringing in extra income. 

Maybe a solution would be free tickets if adult season ticket is also paid for in a designated family zone or small rising charge depending on where else in the ground the seat will be (e.g £25 SS, £35 MS, £50 Prime)?  

I'm all for 1 off free tickets to things like schools, youth clubs etc for individual games.