The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Of course, there's the best squad in the league over at Hamilton! A good 10 players there who we should try to sign.

All joking aside, who's going to want to stay at Hamilton (caveat - unless they go up through the play offs) if Falkirk make an offer and we are interested? We could really pick the bones of any team in this league if we felt the player would be good enough. I'm not sure there are that many in this league that would make the step up and add quality to what we have.

Off the bat, I can only think of, at Hamilton, Scott Martin (injured) and Ahkeem Rose (Loan), and at Alloa liked the look of both Bobby Wales (Loan) and Taylor Steven (as a prospect). That's about it for me. Most sides are part time and not sure if there are any at the likes of Cove, Montrose that I'd take. That's no surprise how good our squad have been this season, it's going to take something decent to strengthen it.

Would like to see Finn Yeats sorted ASAP. Maybe when the league is finally secured it will flush some more info out.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

1 minute ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Would like to see Finn Yeats sorted ASAP. Maybe when the league is finally secured it will flush some more info out.

No facts on this, overheard on Saturday that St no fans have been tracking Yeats. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

No facts on this, overheard on Saturday that St no fans have been tracking Yeats. 

That would be really disappointing. I'm sure we'll do everything possible to keep him. Said before he reminds me of a young Roy Keane, think he has the possibility to go far in the game.

36 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

McGlynn and Falkirk are in a much better place this closed season for attracting very good additions to an already settled and very strong squad.

If you were a player considering your options, where else outside the top league would you consider going next season, especially if Dundee United go up and Livi come down?

Playing in the Championship, most weeks we are selling out stands home and away (highest attendances in the League, Pars aside possibly), on TV most weeks, playing attractive football, settled and respected management team, happy dressing room, fan owned, modern facilities/stadium, feel good factor back, pot guaranteed game time (squad rotation!?). Probably well over 3,000 season tickets will be sold next season.

I'm hoping McGlynn will have his pick of who is available and he wants, especially if we wrap the league up early and can get in for players earlier than others. Higher wages being paid elsewhere might be the only challenge - eg Livi parachute payments, Morton cup run money, sugar daddy owners etc

Do we think there are any League 1 good players he might be interested in for next season that we have seen this season?

The Accies goalkeeper, Ryan Fulton, is half decent. Got injured against us in December and hasn't played since. According to flashscores, he is out of contract in the summer. Would surely be worth looking at?

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Steven is on loan as well, of course.

If he re signs with them I'd be asking St Johnstone if they fancied giving him another years loan a league up. Every chance they'd agree to that I'd have thought and we did a good job with max last season who is now in their first team squad. At 19 I'd expect they will offer him a contract to ensure they get a development fee for him at the very least.

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

McGlynn and Falkirk are in a much better place this closed season for attracting very good additions to an already settled and very strong squad.

If you were a player considering your options, where else outside the top league would you consider going next season, especially if Dundee United go up and Livi come down?

Playing in the Championship, most weeks we are selling out stands home and away (highest attendances in the League, Pars aside possibly), on TV most weeks, playing attractive football, settled and respected management team, happy dressing room, fan owned, modern facilities/stadium, feel good factor back, pot guaranteed game time (squad rotation!?). Probably well over 3,000 season tickets will be sold next season.

I'm hoping McGlynn will have his pick of who is available and he wants, especially if we wrap the league up early and can get in for players earlier than others. Higher wages being paid elsewhere might be the only challenge - eg Livi parachute payments, Morton cup run money, sugar daddy owners etc

Do we think there are any League 1 good players he might be interested in for next season that we have seen this season?

It should be an exciting close season if we manage to finish the job. Mcglynns recruitment has been superb considering the fact we have been a league one club competing against championship clubs for the best full time players in the main. Next year we will be on a far more level playing field to entice even better quality to come and wear the navy blue.

If Fyvie is out of contract at Cove I'd be putting a cheeky offer under his nose to consider (can only say no).  Martin would also be of interest.  

McGovern had a good game v Celtic yesterday which suggests there's still life in him.  Likes Burgoyne too but not sure he'd be on McGlynns radar much and wages may be too high in any case.  

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Of course, there's the best squad in the league over at Hamilton! A good 10 players there who we should try to sign.

Take Martin & Fulton but the rest of Rankin’s reekers I would stay well clear of tbh

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

All joking aside, who's going to want to stay at Hamilton (caveat - unless they go up through the play offs) if Falkirk make an offer and we are interested? We could really pick the bones of any team in this league if we felt the player would be good enough. I'm not sure there are that many in this league that would make the step up and add quality to what we have.

Off the bat, I can only think of, at Hamilton, Scott Martin (injured) and Ahkeem Rose (Loan), and at Alloa liked the look of both Bobby Wales (Loan) and Taylor Steven (as a prospect). That's about it for me. Most sides are part time and not sure if there are any at the likes of Cove, Montrose that I'd take. That's no surprise how good our squad have been this season, it's going to take something decent to strengthen it.

Hamilton’s Keeper Fulton, would be a terrific addition. Blair Lyons at Montrose could step up but we don’t need a winger. Reece Lyon at Kelty is good enough to step up too. 

17 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

If Fyvie is out of contract at Cove I'd be putting a cheeky offer under his nose to consider (can only say no).  Martin would also be of interest.  

McGovern had a good game v Celtic yesterday which suggests there's still life in him.  Likes Burgoyne too but not sure he'd be on McGlynns radar much and wages may be too high in any case.  

On basis of watching close up last week my opinion is that Fyvie’s legs are gone now 

35 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

McGovern had a good game v Celtic yesterday which suggests there's still life in him.  Like Burgoyne too but not sure he'd be on McGlynns radar much and wages may be too high in any case.  

Harry Burgoyne was mentioned on here a few days ago, so I checked what he’s been up to since he left Falkirk in 2019. 35 appearances in 5 seasons (and counting) for (lower mid) League One Shrewsbury Town. And he’s not the current first choice stopper.
At 27 year of age, Harry has a big decision to make - an attractive salary as a back up with the odd rare appearance or a small-ish drop in salary to be the No. 1 at a club that wants him.

I think if John & Paul want him, he’d make the move back to TFS.

That said, a fully fit Ryan Fulton looks a safer option.

Edited by HonestAl
Accuracy in numbers

11 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

Harry Burgoyne was mentioned on here a few days ago, so I checked what he’s been up to since he left Falkirk in 2019. 35 appearances in 5 seasons (and counting) for (lower mid) League One Shrewsbury Town. And he’s not the current first choice stopper.
At 27 year of age, Harry has a big decision to make - an attractive salary as a back up with the odd rare appearance or a small-ish drop in salary to be the No. 1 at a club that wants him.

I think if John & Paul want him, he’d make the move back to TFS.

That said, a fully fit Ryan Fulton looks a safer option.

Sadly I don’t think it would be a “small-ish” drop in salary

I am over the moon with the position we are in right now.  I am a carer for my disabled partner so hardly ever get out, so my love for Falkirk takes on an even greater importance in my life as I don't have much else going on.

Does anyone else find this a bit strange - Like I said I am very happy right now with how things are going, but, and it's a tiny but, I does'nt appear we are playing very well recently while still managing to rack up the points at an unprecidented rate.  I am not complaining, I just find it weird, it's as if, for once in our history, lady luck keeps delivering for us time and time again.   This is not meant to happen to us :) 

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

16 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I am over the moon with the position we are in right now.  I am a carer for my disabled partner so hardly ever get out, so my love for Falkirk takes on an even greater importance in my life as I don't have much else going on.

Does anyone else find this a bit strange - Like I said I am very happy right now with how things are going, but, and it's a tiny but, I does'nt appear we are playing very well recently while still managing to rack up the points at an unprecidented rate.  I am not complaining, I just find it weird, it's as if, for once in our history, lady luck keeps delivering for us time and time again.   This is not meant to happen to us :) 

It's all about grinding it out now, everybody except Edinburgh has something to play for.

The players will be tiring now as well and some will be playing with injuries. Most won't have been in this position in their careers either. I don't care if we win the next three games 1-0, just need the job done, take the pressure off

1 minute ago, FK1Bairn said:

It's all about grinding it out now, everybody except Edinburgh has something to play for.

The players will be tiring now as well and some will be playing with injuries. Most won't have been in this position in their careers either. I don't care if we win the next three games 1-0, just need the job done, take the pressure off

good point.  Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

It's been a long season. The players will subconsciously know the end is near. The teams we're up against are ultra motivated to be the ones to inflict the first loss and they have plenty to play for regardless. We didn't play great against Stirling but gotta give credit where it's due - Stirling played really well, far far better than in December when the game was effectively over at HT. 

6 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I could easily see SJ or DU making a cheeky wee play for Finn.

Yeah I’m a little bit worried as well. Everyone who you would without a doubt want signed up for next season has had their contract extended - bar Finn. Also we signed 22 year old Keelan Adam’s from the junior league for next season. Coincidence? Or does Mcglynn know that Finn is away or perhaps isn’t offering him a contract extension.