The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

What a ridiculously miserable post even by your lamentable standards.

Unbeaten and 17 points clear with a massively superior goal difference and you are slavering on about complacency and triumphalism!

We have endured truly grim times in recent years it’s entirely appropriate to enjoy this outstanding season.

Next season will obviously be a much harder proposition but we will undoubtedly strengthen over the summer to match the challenge ahead.

Been watching Falkirk since the 60's falling flat on their faces snatching defeat in the face of victory.

I have a healthy restraint in celebrating, waiting till when we have something to celebrate.

Sure we have done well on and off the park and in a great position and I have a feel good factor like the rest of us.

For the sake of waiting for 2-4 results to give certainty, it's not ridiculous nor miserable, it's being realistic to the situation we are in. 

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

In a cup no-one cares about where the opposition may not have played their strongest squad or may not have been 100% committed. 

All this talk of what we might do next year scares me. I'm sure we'll aim to be competing at the top but I'm worried that expectations might be so high that a bad start sees the atmosphere turn quickly. 

As a gauge here's how the last 5 league winners have done the following season in the championship.

Ayr 2017/18 - finished 4th

Arbroath 2018/19 - finished 5th

Partick 2020/21 - finished 4th

Cove 2021/22 - finished 10th

Scum 2022/23 - currently 6th

Edited by FFC 1876

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As a gauge here's how the last 5 league winners have done the following season in the championshop.

Ayr 2017/18 - finished 4th

Arbroath 2018/19 - finished 5th

Partick 2020/21 - finished 4th

Cove 2021/22 - finished 10th

Scum 2022/23 - currently 6th

If we were to finish 4th next season, and I can't speak for anyone else, I'd see that as a pretty successful season? Anything beyond that would be amazing, but 4th should absolutely be the aim.

Differing expectations for how the season pans out. I think, as a newly promoted side, you have to say that the absolute bare minimum is to avoid all the hard work being undone and going straight back down again. Some might think that is unnecessarily negative. But the Championship in particular is ridiculously tight - currently there are only 6 points between 4th and 9th. You might think you're doing okay, but a run of three or four bad results and you can get sucked right back into it. Consolidating your place in the division has to be the base aim. Going on from that, for me, anywhere around mid-table would be considered a decent season, while play-offs would be seen as very good for the first season back. I think next season has to be about steadying ship in the Championship, before the following season, looking to progress and push for promotion either through the play-offs or challenging for the title, dependant on who is in the league, of course. 

If we end up doing the double bounce next season, then yeah, ignore all of this :lol:

Edited by 18BAIRN76

22 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Differing expectations for how the season pans out. I think, as a newly promoted side, you have to say that the absolute bare minimum is to avoid all the hard work being undone and going straight back down again. Some might think that is unnecessarily negative. But the Championship in particular is ridiculously tight - currently there are only 6 points between 4th and 9th. You might think you're doing okay, but a run of three or four bad results and you can get sucked right back into it. Consolidating your place in the division has to be the base aim. Going on from that, for me, anywhere around mid-table would be considered a decent season, while play-offs would be seen as very good for the first season back. I think next season has to be about steadying ship in the Championship, before the following season, looking to progress and push for promotion either through the play-offs or challenging for the title, dependant on who is in the league, of course. 

If we end up doing the double bounce next season, then yeah, ignore all of this :lol:

To be fair, I'm basing my opinion off our (admittedly limited) exposure to championship teams via the cups. We've acquitted ourselves really well, but it'll be different across a 36 game season. Absolute minimum should be consolidation but a good season would be securing a play-off spot. 

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Better technically but less combative, should be fine against QOS as if they sit in again Tait has the ability to pick a pass through them.

Agreed. I love Tait, second half last week he was superb, however, I'd still pick Hendo first over him, more physical, better in the air and I think Hendo is also technically good. The other thing is that last week for all Tait had a great second half, he was poor in the first half (not the only midfielder), and was the one player, through lack of concentration, that played the Stirling scorer miles on on for their goal. With Lang being injured its not an argument though, Hendo will be at the back and it'll quite rightly be Spencer and Tait in the middle today.

We should still have more than enough to win this game today, would love to see us more clinical with the chances we create. Bit more composure. Oliver been the most composed in front of goal of late.

11 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Agreed. I love Tait, second half last week he was superb, however, I'd still pick Hendo first over him, more physical, better in the air and I think Hendo is also technically good. The other thing is that last week for all Tait had a great second half, he was poor in the first half (not the only midfielder), and was the one player, through lack of concentration, that played the Stirling scorer miles on on for their goal. With Lang being injured its not an argument though, Hendo will be at the back and it'll quite rightly be Spencer and Tait in the middle today.

We should still have more than enough to win this game today, would love to see us more clinical with the chances we create. Bit more composure. Oliver been the most composed in front of goal of late.

When Lang is back, Hendo will obviously move back into midfield. Is there ab argument for giving Tait a go as number 10 though? Nesbitt has been a bit off it lately and could do with a bit of a rest, I think. Would be harsh on Oliver as he's been great off the bench, but it's all about options isn't it?

22 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

When Lang is back, Hendo will obviously move back into midfield. Is there ab argument for giving Tait a go as number 10 though? Nesbitt has been a bit off it lately and could do with a bit of a rest, I think. Would be harsh on Oliver as he's been great off the bench, but it's all about options isn't it?

I would not complain if Oliver got the nod over Nesbitt today as a bit of rotation

26 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

Provided Dundee United and Aberdeen are not in the championship next season, the aim should be the title. League is wide open. 

It's very much odds against but that would be amazing if it did happen...great atmospheres where we are the underdog again playing teams bringing/taking a good crowd...it's what I've missed the most in our wilderness years

27 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I would not complain if Oliver got the nod over Nesbitt today as a bit of rotation

If McGlynn does go with Oliver, I think it would be fully deserved. He's been patient and by all accounts he has a great attitude. He's making a very strong case for being offered a new contract, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, bairn88 said:

The centre of midfield was overran consistently v Stirling. Today will be a good test for Spencer and Tait to see if they can work together as a 2 or if the balance isn’t there 

Overran 😂

I partly agree with HSW’s sentiment here.  Let’s just get this league done first, and enjoy it - there’ll be plenty of time to worry about next season.

Not going today and will watch on telly instead, hope those going have a cracking day.

I think there's a middle mark here regarding next season, wouldn't say I agree with hope street walkers negativity, however some posts on here and on the Facebook page are going a bit OTT, the team is a very very good league 1 team, and I feel can go full pelt into the championship and shouldn't fear any team in the tier above us. However, we'll need to improve the squad with a good few first teamers if we want to compete. 

anyways, we've not won anything yet, COYB x 

5 minutes ago, BPM said:

Overran 😂

The first half in particular there was consistently a massive hole between central defence and central midfield, didn’t help Spencer was having a stinker. Against better opposition (next year) it would’ve been ugly. Unconvinced by Tait and Spencer as a duo yet. Someone mentioned Tait in Nesbitt’s role and could get behind that 

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

The first half in particular there was consistently a massive hole between central defence and central midfield, didn’t help Spencer was having a stinker. Against better opposition (next year) it would’ve been ugly. Unconvinced by Tait and Spencer as a duo yet. Someone mentioned Tait in Nesbitt’s role and could get behind that 

It's pretty simple really - we badly missed Hendo's excellent positioning and bite in midfield. Spencer and Tait are good players, I don't think anyone can deny that, but tackling, winning headers and jostling with other players simply isn't their game. Really hope Lang isn't out for much longer as the lack of physicality in midfield was clear and obvious last week. On the plus side though - Hendo has been excellent at the back. Unsurprising mind you, considering that's his natural position. Just goes to show how good he's been in midfield this season.

Edited by Raybowski89

The problems in midfield in the first half last week were obvious to everyone. I was talking to a chap (from North Berwick IIRC so hello to you) and we discussed bringing Mackie into LCB which would allow Hendo back into MF.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The problems in midfield in the first half last week were obvious to everyone. I was talking to a chap (from North Berwick IIRC so hello to you) and we discussed bringing Mackie into LCB which would allow Hendo back into MF.

Good debate, that. I think Mackie is a bit prone to rash decisions so I'm not keen on the idea of him playing at CB, but similarly I'm also not keen on Hendo not being in midfield.

6 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

One thing that will go our way next season is not many teams will sit in against us. The Dundee United game was proof that we can pick teams off when they come onto us. 

I’ve thought similarly, our style of play should actually really suit teams being more open against us next season. We have a lot of pace in the side and are capable of turning defence into attack with a fair degree of speed and precision when given space. 

42 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

They delivered an absolute master class at Cove 4 days prior to Stirling. After 30 minutes last weekend was pretty much the same. They are both quality footballers.