The Falkirk FC Thread

While I don’t generally disagree with the basis of the general points being made, I don’t really like the idea of players automatically “deserving” to have a go at a level above. These players have had a brilliant season and it’s a team that will live long in the memory for all the right reasons. But the idea of unconditional loyalty to start a season because of the previous ones work doesn’t track. I get it may sound harsh, and it probably is, but football is quite a unique industry in how cutthroat it is. If McGlynn identifies or gets offered someone who he feels is a stronger player and will adapt to the Championship better than anyone currently in the starting XI, whether that be in defence, midfield or upfront, he’s going to sign them. We are all on a high after Saturday and we’ve got 5 games to go to bask in it all, let’s do that.  But it’s also only April. Look at it positively - there are whole new markets of players who will become available to us now. Players who previously might have fancied a move to Falkirk but didn’t want to drop down; teams who are looking to loan out players but didn’t want them to play in League One. Let’s see what the summer brings before claiming anyone has  rite of passage into the starting XI.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

23 minutes ago, Baggio said:

Our front four have scored 50 goals between them this season. They absolutely deserve the chance to start next season in the championship and I'm uncomfortable with our own fans talking any of them down after such a brilliant weekend. 

Most of the teams in that championship would bite your hand off to have a front 4 players like ours! Finding players that would be an improvement on any of them next season is going to be extremely unlikely. 

I don’t for a second believe there’s any blind loyalty or automaticity with McGlynn’s squad management. He’ll be making a cool judgement based on his vast knowledge of our leagues and what he knows he can get for his budget. 

Don’t think there’s anyone talking any player(s) down, just trying to bring some realism of what’s required for next season. Can’t remember the last time we had the majority of players who we want not only signed for next season, but for two, and we’ve still five games of the existing season to play.
I for one didn’t fancy McIvor, but the guys been an absolute pleasure to watch. His overall positioning/hold play has been the best in the division, his goals tally very good. McGlynn has been a shark in the transfer market, if we want to be anywhere near challenging at the top four places, and with reference to many who have posted, another GK, CB, (maybe 2MF) CF are minimum requirements. 
McGlynn we trust. 

15 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

While I don’t generally disagree with the basis of the general points being made, I don’t really like the idea of players automatically “deserving” to have a go at a level above. These players have had a brilliant season and it’s a team that will live long in the memory for all the right reasons. But the idea of unconditional loyalty to start a season because of the previous ones work doesn’t track. I get it may sound harsh, and it probably is, but football is quite a unique industry in how cutthroat it is. If McGlynn identifies or gets offered someone who he feels is a stronger player and will adapt to the Championship better than anyone currently in the starting XI, whether that be in defence, midfield or upfront, he’s going to sign them. We are all on a high after Saturday and we’ve got 5 games to go to bask in it all, let’s do that.  But it’s also only April. Look at it positively - there are whole new markets of players who will become available to us now. Players who previously might have fancied a move to Falkirk but didn’t want to drop down; teams who are looking to loan out players but didn’t want them to play in League One. Let’s see what the summer brings before claiming anyone has  rite of passage into the starting XI.

Spot on. Great post 

Edited by Springfield

3 minutes ago, StuartA said:

I don’t for a second believe there’s any blind loyalty or automaticity with McGlynn’s squad management. He’ll be making a cool judgement based on his vast knowledge of our leagues and what he knows he can get for his budget. 

Of course he will 

I just think that suggesting someone like McIver isn't good enough when this season isn't even finished and he has played such an important part, is a bit unnecessary. We've scored so many goals and had such a great time doing it. 

Ultimately what I am saying is lets live in the moment a bit longer and enjoy this wonderful season. Club still putting up great content to enjoy, there's a sad Brad McKay article to read and records still to break.

There's a long summer ahead to get bogged down in potential new signings.

21 minutes ago, Baggio said:

Of course he will 

I just think that suggesting someone like McIver isn't good enough when this season isn't even finished and he has played such an important part, is a bit unnecessary. We've scored so many goals and had such a great time doing it. 

Anybody who thinks McIver (or any of our front 4 for that matter) isn’t good enough and won’t improve further again under McGlynn hasn’t been paying attention. We will of course strengthen but I’m pretty certain all these players mentioned will hit the ground running again next season picking up where they left off and yet again make some of the nae sayers on here look stupid! Most of the clubs already in the championship would bite your hand off to have these players! we should enjoy! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, Baggio said:

Our front four have scored 50 goals between them this season. They absolutely deserve the chance to start next season in the championship and I'm uncomfortable with our own fans talking any of them down after such a brilliant weekend. 

Don’t think anyone is talking players down. Clearly this season has been fantastic and players and management alike deserve credit for that.

However, next year will be a significantly tougher challenge over the course of the season. It would be crazy to want rid of our current front four, but equally we will need additional quality in a number of positions to challenge at the top end of the championship as McGlynn has mentioned.

For me those playing should be the best available. No one has an automatic right to be in the starting 11 simply because they’ve won a league below. 

Edited by PedroMoutinho

Think as McGlynn says we need quality additions to the squad. If you look at Dunfermline this season. The are basically the same as last season with not much improvement. When injuries hit they were floored. They had not found players to supplement what they had. In League One you can perhaps get away with players getting injured and just playing another out of position. In the Championship that is very risky.

Edited by Bigbrbairn

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

The big issue with getting in another striker is finding one that can do everything MacIver can do and also score 20 goals a season and manage to entice them to play in the championship. There aren't many players that can do all that at our level unfortunately.

Whenever we played Inverness in the past the boy Oakley always looked a handful. I see he's now at Cappielow, and given that we can take anything Morten value any time we feel like it..... 

Without youth and its excitement and at times risk football should just turn into a TV sport. It is a thing of history that this is what drives football along. Young fans behaving badly at Brockville are now sometimes Worther Original munchers in the Main Stand whilst their grandweans are setting off flares in the Ultras. And on it goes thankfully. The Green Brigade sadly bring a political element which is easy for the blazers to jump on

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Whenever we played Inverness in the past the boy Oakley always looked a handful. I see he's now at Cappielow, and given that we can take anything Morten value any time we feel like it..... 

Unless I’ve missed a subsequent story, he’s available in the summer too: https://gmfc.net/george-oakley-becomes-our-third-january-signing/

27 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Morton have some very good players tbh. Oakley included. The boy Tyler French on loan from Dundee I would take in an instant. He’s just like a right footed Liam Henderson. Can play Centre back, right back, centre mid and left back at a push.

Edited by Big chungus

21 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Morton have some very good players tbh. Oakley included. The boy Tyler French on loan from Dundee I would take in an instance. He’s just like a right footed Liam Henderson. Can play Centre back, right back, centre mid and left back at a push.

As much as im not disputing it, im not ready to hear comparisons with Liam Henderson at this time. 

39 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Does he have the looks to join our band of warrior poets though? That's the real question.

No No No.

We went down the beautiful players route a few seasons ago and found they were beautiful duds.

Edited by Bigbrbairn