The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, BPM said:

Hope you all enjoy this

Felt a wee bit emotional reliving all that. There were some huge moments early on that with hindsight, were the moments where you knew we were different. Montrose and Queens at home.... Stirling away... You can see what they meant to the fans at the time. Even those of us who struggled with the fear of it all imploding, we must have known deep down that something amazing was happening. I can remember going fucking tonto with an auld guy next to me when Morrisons winner went in v Montrose. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Felt a wee bit emotional reliving all that. There were some huge moments early on that with hindsight, were the moments where you knew we were different. Montrose and Queens at home.... Stirling away... You can see what they meant to the fans at the time. Even those of us who struggled with the fear of it all imploding, we must have known deep down that something amazing was happening. I can remember going fucking tonto with an auld guy next to me when Morrisons winner went in v Montrose. 

Very unusually (like twice a season) both my kids came along with me to that Montrose game - it was a super game in any case, but the last minute thunderb*****d and subsequent wild celebrations have been stored away very fondly by me.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Springfield said:

A very happy supporter if this can be achieved. Just have a look at how the cash is distributed down through the leagues. Incredible that we’ve not seen clubs fold as the financial situation must be grim for many clubs. 

Swinney said on the official FFC podcast that, as an absolute minimum, in order to break even to cover the annual £400K shortfall; we should be looking to finish around 4th in the Championship and the cash distribution that it brings in.

Edited by GunnerBairn

There will be about 6 teams who fancy they could win the league next season and we should absolutely be 1 of them. f**k all this ‘aiming for top 4.’ Aim to win the league and see where it takes us. There’s no reason we should be running scared of Livi, Airdrie, Morton or either of the Fife c***s. Bring them on

8 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

Swinney said on the official FFC podcast that, as an absolute minimum, in order to break even to cover the annual £400K shortfall; we should be looking to finish around 4th in the Championship and the cash distribution that it brings in.

If my interpretation is correct as winners of league 1 it’s 125K. 
Arbroath it’s £175K for dropping down.

From 9th - 5th it’s £188K - £250K.

4th is £325K. 3rd is £400K. 2nd is £475K.

DU as champions get£563K.

Relegated Livi get £1.125M.

Financially you can see how it’s so difficult for all first division clubs to compete. Interesting to see if Livi will throw cash at players in an attempt to get straight back to the promised land.

They've already signed one or two and apparently signing Muirhead from Morton. There is a lot of turmoil behind the scenes at that club that i think Martindale knows more about than he lets on. Financially if they don't go straight back up it could be crippling for them. The same could be said of ICT if they get relegated, talk of them going part time. 

With 21 players signed including 4 youngsters who will be hoping for a Yeats style breakthrough, its the first time in years there has been stability.

If as hoped Adams hit the season with a breakthrough at Right Back that frees up Yeats for competition for a midfield roll.

Whether its signings or loans, the incoming will be Goalkeeper - Center Back - Midfielder plus if Mackie is away Left back.

Any other signing is a bonus

One bit of caution, the season hinges on the players that did so well last season kicking on in a higher league. Football being football there maybe one or two that don't cut it.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

If my interpretation is correct as winners of league 1 it’s 125K. 
Arbroath it’s £175K for dropping down.

From 9th - 5th it’s £188K - £250K.

4th is £325K. 3rd is £400K. 2nd is £475K.

DU as champions get£563K.

Relegated Livi get £1.125M.

Financially you can see how it’s so difficult for all first division clubs to compete. Interesting to see if Livi will throw cash at players in an attempt to get straight back to the promised land.

Remember that the spfl pay out prize money throughout the season though so it won't be like Livvy are coming down with that in the bank. I know there's a parachute payment too.

They have lived on the crowds of Hibs,Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen for years, will be interesting how they cope without that money. 

Their average last season was 3750, probably half that next season.

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

With 21 players signed including 4 youngsters who will be hoping for a Yeats style breakthrough, its the first time in years there has been stability.

If as hoped Adams hit the season with a breakthrough at Right Back that frees up Yeats for competition for a midfield roll.

Whether its signings or loans, the incoming will be Goalkeeper - Center Back - Midfielder plus if Mackie is away Left back.

Any other signing is a bonus

One bit of caution, the season hinges on the players that did so well last season kicking on in a higher league. Football being football there maybe one or two that don't cut it.

The good news for us is that the bulk of our starting X1/Squad last year have played & performed at a higher level. 

Lang, Henderson, Donaldson, Spencer, Nesbitt, MacIver, Oliver, Mackie, Miller & McKenna have all graced the championship or above. 

On 10/05/2024 at 09:26, HopeStreetWalker said:

The out of contract player in the leagues above us are interesting reading. Ex bairns Ryan Flynn, Tony Gallacher, Craig Sibbald, Cameron Blues among them.

This closed season is going to be a buyers market with more player than places.

We just might get a surprise.

Any ex bairns fancied for a return?

According to this article there are 93 players out of contract from premiership teams alone.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/93-scottish-premiership-stars-out-of-contract-hearts-trio-hibs-men-rangers-celtic-aberdeen-stars-4622456?page=1

Our squad is decent but we'd miss Tait and lack cover if left with just Hendo and Spencer in there.  

Now we've signed Oliver & Shanley I really hope we don't re-sign Mackie.  We need to leave some spaces for upgrades in the budget.  

28 minutes ago, madton said:

Remember that the spfl pay out prize money throughout the season though so it won't be like Livvy are coming down with that in the bank. I know there's a parachute payment too.

They have lived on the crowds of Hibs,Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen for years, will be interesting how they cope without that money. 

Their average last season was 3750, probably half that next season.

Sure I heard Martindale make reference to the current finances quite a few weeks back. The next few weeks will certainly be interesting. 

17 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Our squad is decent but we'd miss Tait and lack cover if left with just Hendo and Spencer in there.  

Now we've signed Oliver & Shanley I really hope we don't re-sign Mackie.  We need to leave some spaces for upgrades in the budget.  

I feel like if Mackie has resigned it would have been announced by now but I may be wrong.

Agree. With the league won weeks ago, it’s given time for the manager to sort out who he wants in place for the championship. Looks like Mackie is either holding out to see if he can get guaranteed game time with some other team or still pondering either an offer or perhaps no offer ?