The Falkirk FC Thread

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Blane Fonda said:

Just noticed Queens Park are playing at their wee stadium until at least the 5th of September before returning to Hampden. This will more than likely include a good few league home games. How is this allowed?

They did it last season as well. I believe they had two home league games in the timeframe last year, which were deliberately selected as Inverness and Arbroath (the teams where the miniscule capacity of Lesser was less of an issue).

Edited by Nightmare

Just now, Blane Fonda said:

Just noticed Queens Park are playing at their wee stadium until at least the 5th of September before returning to Hampden. This will more than likely include a good few league home games. How is this allowed?

Certainly isn't a level playing field but it's allowed because it's queen's park. Haughey and lawell are the main players in Scottish football and if they say it's ok then it's ok. Why were queens park given so much money for a stadium they couldn't afford to run and paid nothing into it's regeneration when they were originally offered £1 for it. Why was haughey allowed to arrange the loan that the sfa got to pay queen's park for Hampden. Why having sold it are queen's park now allowed to play back at Hampden in a one sided deal. I mean Scotland training at Hampden once in a blue moon is going to damage the pitch far less than queens park playing there every second week. The whole thing is dodgy as feck and yet noone seems to raise an eyebrow. 

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

They did it last season as well. I believe they had two home league games in the timeframe last year, which were deliberately selected as Inverness and Arbroath (the teams where the miniscule capacity of Lesser was less of an issue).

With both those teams no longer in the league it will be interesting to see what games they select now.

Whilst the facilities at Meadowbank were a disgrace last season they could at least cater (in the loosest sense of the word) to 1k away fans 

21 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Certainly isn't a level playing field but it's allowed because it's queen's park. Haughey and lawell are the main players in Scottish football and if they say it's ok then it's ok. Why were queens park given so much money for a stadium they couldn't afford to run and paid nothing into it's regeneration when they were originally offered £1 for it. Why was haughey allowed to arrange the loan that the sfa got to pay queen's park for Hampden. Why having sold it are queen's park now allowed to play back at Hampden in a one sided deal. I mean Scotland training at Hampden once in a blue moon is going to damage the pitch far less than queens park playing there every second week. The whole thing is dodgy as feck and yet noone seems to raise an eyebrow. 

Not if they lay an artificial pit...     Oh!

Posted (edited)

Queens Park are benefitting from being able to cater for large away supports from the likes of ourselves, Pars, Raith, Partick and reaping the financial rewards that this brings when their own actual stadium couldn’t cope with it. 

As has already been said, it’s down right corrupt. Imagine they went up, the money they could rake in from the arse cheeks, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen taking massive supports to them, it’s  so wrong.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 minute ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

What's the issue with the redeveloped Lesser Hampden anyway?  Appreciate it doesn't hold many fans but is there any other reason QP aren't just there full time as originally planned? 

It doesn't make them enough money from away supports obviously due to the restricted capacity.

2 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Far better going out on loan and starting every week than sitting on our bench or in the stand (which is where they will be if we have a fully fit squad).

Agree and that should be an option. Comes down to a player by by player basis and what is best to develop their career.

11 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

They must have known this when they redeveloped it though - its all very odd.  

Maybe having it as a bargaining chip was what was planned all along. Sell Hampden build lesser Hampden and use it to sign a deal to return to Hampden.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Preseason starts next week, McGlynn's said previously he likes to have his business done early so hopefully we'll see a few new faces over the next week.

We’re at 19 contracted players as it stands so I suspect a back up GK and (hopefully) Tait will be our lot, with possibly one more to come in if Allan moves on.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It feels like Lesser Hampden has been getting redeveloped for about 10 years.

At least it’s giving the workers at Fergusons something to laugh at!🤭

Lesser Hampden could be developed into a decent wee ground with a 5k capacity (or 3k if the ridiculous directors box is kept along one side), but as above it is being done at an absolute snail's pace.

I believe Queens Park fell out with the original contractor, took them to arbitration and lost. That cost them a huge amount of time and cash. They have been massively lucky they are being allowed to use Hampden (again) 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

The whole thing is dodgy as feck and yet noone seems to raise an eyebrow. 

49 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

They must have known this when they redeveloped it though - its all very odd.  

It’s much worse than ‘dodgy’ or ‘odd’… it’s blatant, deliberate cheating.

5 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

They have been massively lucky they are being allowed to use Hampden (again)

I don't think luck is involved unless it's incredibly lucky that the SFA happen to owe the Queens Park "benefactor" £2.5M! 🙄

QP only exist in modern form due to the perennial help of the SFA renting Hampden until UEFA rules forced their hand and QP amateur status - bearing no transfer fees and the 3rd largest stadium to maintain - left both seeking a marriage of convenience. 

In stepped Lord Haughey to provide QP with the means to move to Lesser Hampden and the SFA a means to fund it and now QP can have the best of both worlds. A 50K+ stadia without needing to continually invest in infrastructure and pitches maintained to FIFA standard (and all that entails) without the outlay as I dare say Lord Haughey probably wouldn't even notice if the SFA didn't repay it.

On 06/06/2024 at 11:49, The Toun Clock said:

You're off your rocker if you think Donaldson or Lang are better than Hanlon, even in his older years. Both Hanlon and Stevenson would improve that Falkirk team, they'll improve the Raith team and I'd have taken them at Dunfermline because they'd have improved us. Donaldson and Lang would not improve what Dunfermline or Raith have.

I know who is off his rocker. Hanlon I will give you. Stevenson couldn’t handle Houstie’s team and that was 8 years ago when he was in his prime. Benidictous would not get a game for us now at his age. Lang and Donaldson were superb last season. I really enjoy guys like you under estimating us. 

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Next seasons strip sponsors are coming through thick and fast so the release of Falkirk's can't be far away.

I read something somewhere (might have been an email from the club this week) saying the pictures of the new strip will be up on Tuesday of next week