The Falkirk FC Thread

I actually think Falkirk have a decent squad and McGlynn will have them off to a flying start. Top 4 finish imo.

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

It will, has Mcglynn learned from his time with us? He usually doesn’t have a plan B and doesn’t deal with pressure well at times and it clouds his judgement. Still a good manager though and Falkirk will do well this season not sure how well but Spencer, land, tait and Ross all did well for us in the championship and solid players. Morrison is good but the pars did struggle a lot this year but mostly down to injuries and having no decent strikers

Plan B seems to be different players off a strong bench and mixing style of play, but I’m no expert.

If we have an advantage at all, it’s a confident, settled and balanced squad all rooting for each other. The Pars situation is the fear I keep coming back to - tougher more competitive games = more injuries and suspensions. But ultimately we have to work within our budget and improve year on year. 

I watched a lot of Championship matches last season and none of the sides scared me as such. Thought they were much of a muchness. Some cracking games, some dire, with the common theme being a fitter more frantic division than L1. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Plan B seems to be different players off a strong bench and mixing style of play, but I’m no expert.

If we have an advantage at all, it’s a confident, settled and balanced squad all rooting for each other. The Pars situation is the fear I keep coming back to - tougher more competitive games = more injuries and suspensions. But ultimately we have to work within our budget and improve year on year. 

I watched a lot of Championship matches last season and none of the sides scared me as such. Thought they were much of a muchness. Some cracking games, some dire, with the common theme being a fitter more frantic division than L1. 

Where do you think you will end up? Curious,  no doubt you are a happy camp but the championship is very competitive week in week out and after a couple of dodgy results you plummet. I think you will do well and be top half but our mutual friends found that out last season 😂😂

Edited by Been going too long

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Where do you think you will end up? Curious,  no doubt you are a happy camp but the championship is very competitive week in week out and after a couple of dodgy results you plummet. I think you will do well and be top half but our mutual friends found that out last season 😂😂

Push for top 4 hopefully if we stay relatively injury free. A good finish this season will put us on a bit more even ground regarding prize money for next season. I mean we're about 5/600k behind you for a start simply down to that and that's a huge gap to make up. If we could close that gap this season then make a bit more of a push for it next season I'd be happy enough.

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Depends how scooped up I am. Sober, I think 5-7th; 4 pints = playoffs; steamboats in Behind the Wall after the Montrose game, double invincible. 

I find it really difficult to judge to be honest. It’s difficult to be pessimistic with this squad, but we won’t know until we’ve played everyone once. 

2 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

I would say they have. Regardless of what their fans tell you, they’re absolutely spending more coin on players than they were under the previous board. Just the same way the previous board spent more when in charge of Kelty.

Yeah the three year deal is wild. However, my only thing to the original post was that those two would start in Falkirk’s defence if they’d signed for you, same as if they’d signed on at East End, for this season at least.

Okay mate. Benedictus is still a better defender than Lang and Donaldson, you do know we’’be seen Donaldson and Lang play, well Lang couldn’t get a game in a poor team but Donaldson was part of one of our worst teams.

I’m not underestimating Falkirk but I’m also realistic. I think you’ll have a decent season, could maybe even challenge for top four if you get a couple of quality signings in, however it sounds like you’ll be running with a small squad and if that’s the case then you have to hope injuries don’t come calling as that’s what happened to us last season and we ended up far too near the bottom of the table.

f**k off, just f**k off

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I saw him limping quite badly after the Montrose game. Guy will probably have trouble for the rest of his life. 

And yet he continued to play right up to the last game of the season.

Great professional and will be a big loss in the dressing room.

Just seen the announcement that Crunchy Carrots are sponsoring us again next season and the accompanying video has me wondering if Spencer will be vice captain. I’m assuming Coll will be announced as Captain and I did wonder if Spencer would be vice

10 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Just seen the announcement that Crunchy Carrots are sponsoring us again next season and the accompanying video has me wondering if Spencer will be vice captain. I’m assuming Coll will be announced as Captain and I did wonder if Spencer would be vice

I agree with you, that’s my take on that too. Although it may not be confirmed until players are all back from pre-season? I wonder if they were at the stadium for the new kit launch. Tom Lang was at the stadium too I see. 

9 minutes ago, Rocco said:

That video was done after the strip launch one and the model selection was just down to who was available on the day. A fair number of the players are still on holiday. Though I'd be very surprised if Coll doesn't keep the captains armband for this season. 

14 minutes ago, North West said:

Astute post.

You will find it tougher in this league than all think. I don't think Lang is off sufficient quality.

Dont think that any Falkirk fans think it will be a breeze.

3 hours ago, Rabbie Bairns said:

I have seen some people suggesting we're after Robbie Mutch, surely can't be true?

Fire in mate. 

He’s injured at the minute and not expected to be fully fit until September but I’d be surprised if he’s more than a cup keeper for us next season.

45 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I agree with you, that’s my take on that too. Although it may not be confirmed until players are all back from pre-season? I wonder if they were at the stadium for the new kit launch. Tom Lang was at the stadium too I see. 

Lang and Hendo have been in regularly using the gym apparently for their rehab.

On a side note, new five year sponsorship deal with William Hill.

No financials released but “best ever deal”

A few paragraphs in and had a chuckle. Pity they didn’t consult the 42 teams about the pitches.

”In addition to becoming league sponsor, the company becomes the SPFL's official betting partner and will work with EPIC Global Solutions – a global consultancy focused on gambling harm prevention – to launch a multi-year, "first-of-its-kind" programme on gambling harm awareness for SPFL players, staff and supporters.

Workshops will be held across all 42 SPFL clubs to educate players and backroom staff on the dangers of gambling harm in the elite sports environment along with sessions for supporters and community groups.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, North West said:

Astute post.

You will find it tougher in this league than all think. I don't think Lang is off sufficient quality.

Under no illusions that this year will be a greater challenge but there is equally a case to say that some of the visitors to the FFC page are over estimating the standard of the Championship.

Promoted clubs have historically done pretty well on their return to the sunlit uplands of the Championship.

edit to add Lang is certainly Championship standard.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

2 hours ago, North West said:

Astute post.

If a team as shite as ICT can finish 3 points off 5th with a positive goal diff then we have nothing to fear about competing at this level.  There are a lot of players in this league that have played for us and been decidedly mediocre but have done well elsewhere.  Lang needed a good run of games being fit and he got that last season.

Genuinely interested to see how you get on this season, and Calumn Morrison in particular.

One who arguably has top flight talent hasn't really shown it consistently? Its a bit surprised hes only 24 though, tbh.

The league seems so tight every season that 2-3 wins in a row has folk dreaming of the title, then 2-3 games without a win has you at the bottom fearing relegation, so expecting to see plenty of "leagues a piece of piss/our squad is shit" sequences.